01-06-08, 04:04 PM   #1
Shorty20
A Murloc Raider
UI Help

Hi,

I recently just started out on WoW and I heard about the customizable UI so I immediately looked it up on Google and found this place that seems promising for the most updated UI.

I need some help or recommendations for some basic UI for an Orc Warrior.

Thank you.
01-06-08, 04:16 PM   #2
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Since you're new to WoW, you're probably leveling a toon. I would suggest Lightheaded along with TomTom. For a warrior (and any class) I'd suggest MikScrollingBattleText.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
01-06-08, 09:34 PM   #3
Shorty20
A Murloc Raider
TomTom? Is that for location?

Someone recommended me MetaMap, is there any differences between the two?
01-06-08, 11:30 PM   #4
Jazradel
An Aku'mai Servant
They do different things. I recommend Cartographer instead of MetaMap.
01-07-08, 12:24 AM   #5
SirQuester
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I suggest trying both Cartographer and Metamap to see what you like. I myself use Metamap.

Also use LightHeaded and TomTom with nQuestLog which puts up a quest minion onscreen.

The alternatives to MilkScrollingCombatText are: Parrot over at the Ace site, SCT & SCTD (Scrolling Combat Text & Damage) or Blizzard's own Floating Combat Text though it is lmited compared.
01-07-08, 01:23 AM   #6
Shorty20
A Murloc Raider
It doesn't seem like Cartographer has been updated in awhile? Which one are you using Jazradel?

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/search.php
01-07-08, 05:43 AM   #8
Voonka
A Cyclonian
i would suggest looking at the different "stand alone" mod sections of this site, as well as the downloads and forums on wowace.com. The best way to search for addons that you'll like the most is just looking around, this site (as well as Curse Gaming's WoW section) usually come with great descriptions and pretty little pictures of the mods. I would recommend sorting by downloads highest to lowest. Usually this helps you to decide what all the cool kids are doing so you can say things like "Yeah! Totally! I got that mod, and I was all like 'Whoa! No Way!'."
01-07-08, 06:58 PM   #9
Shorty20
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Voonka
i would suggest looking at the different "stand alone" mod sections of this site, as well as the downloads and forums on wowace.com. The best way to search for addons that you'll like the most is just looking around, this site (as well as Curse Gaming's WoW section) usually come with great descriptions and pretty little pictures of the mods. I would recommend sorting by downloads highest to lowest. Usually this helps you to decide what all the cool kids are doing so you can say things like "Yeah! Totally! I got that mod, and I was all like 'Whoa! No Way!'."
Haha, I browsed WoW ace for a few minutes yesterday and downloaded XLoot and a few others that seemed to suit the Warrior class. The warrior class specific ones weren't really for me though.

Is there a mod for the bags to open them all at once? I've seen a couple screenshots of a few addons but I didn't know what they were called.
01-07-08, 08:06 PM   #10
Sithraza
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

You can try Tuller's for a bag mod, the background is changeable by clicking on your name at the top left when you open your bags.

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...59-Bagnon.html

Ah, I would also recommend using LightHeaded and if your into scrolling combat text mods, than you should try out Parrot.

Last edited by Sithraza : 01-07-08 at 08:08 PM.
01-07-08, 08:44 PM   #11
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

Hey, alternatively you might like to try a premade compilation of AddOns to build a basic understanding of what you do and don't like through a premade selection of AddOns.

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...fo.php?id=7533
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...fo.php?id=7860

Potentially nice starters. Just a suggestion!

Single addons suggestions:
Autobar- Get this, believe me!
Lightheaded
Tom Tom
Baggins
Metamap or Cartographer
I recommend Metamap with the WKB module ( the WKB, Knowlege base is great! It holds a ~9k NPC and MOB database. By the click of the button you can be directed to any mob/ NPC within the database!)

Last edited by WaldoJeffers : 01-07-08 at 08:54 PM.
01-07-08, 09:27 PM   #12
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Qynova
Hey, alternatively you might like to try a premade compilation of AddOns to build a basic understanding of what you do and don't like through a premade selection of AddOns.

What? not mine? -jk-
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-07-08, 09:39 PM   #13
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

Of course, And yours!
01-07-08, 10:20 PM   #14
Shorty20
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Qynova

Single addons suggestions:
Autobar- Get this, believe me!
Lightheaded
Tom Tom
Baggins
Metamap or Cartographer
I recommend Metamap with the WKB module ( the WKB, Knowlege base is great! It holds a ~9k NPC and MOB database. By the click of the button you can be directed to any mob/ NPC within the database!)

I actually tried to install both of those mods prior to post this, but due to my lack of knowledge to setup those UI, I decided I would be better off with a custom set.

I'll give it another go later tonight.

if your into scrolling combat text mods, than you should try out Parrot.
What exactly scrolling combat text mean? I'm still very new to the game and have very very little knowledge of the large amounts of "Things I Should Know"

Sorry for blasting you guys will all of these newb questions.
01-08-08, 12:34 AM   #15
Voonka
A Cyclonian
Scrolling Combat Text organizes all those damage messages coming and going into a nice set of areas. Parrot, for example, makes 3 zones by default. One zone is for notifications, another is incoming stuff, and the 3rd is outgoing. The incoming is the damage and heals that you take from other players and monsters, and the outgoing is what damage you do to players and monsters. Parrot is a great Scrolling Combat Text mod, it looks good, its easy to setup and its infinitely configurable. I would highly recommend it.

As far as bag mods, if you haven't gotten bagnon yet, I would go get it. Its ready to go as soon as you get it installed, requires no configuration to use, and is a lot prettier than all those bags you gotta click on. Alternatively if you want a great bag mod, that you can customize, look up arkinventory. Ark starts out like bagnon with all in one, but you can set up different boxes for different items and hide them if you so choose.

Also i saw someone mention Autobar. This is also a fantastic addon. It is a bar for all your commonly clicked/used items that autoprioritizes, and organizes. Also you can bind a key to each of the buttons rather than a spot on your bar that you have to constantly drop items onto. This is a big advantage since learning how to use keys rather than clicking all your buttons is the best thing you can do.

Don't worry about asking lots of questions. We're here to help.
01-08-08, 12:44 AM   #16
iljott
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Shorty20
What exactly scrolling combat text mean? I'm still very new to the game and have very very little knowledge of the large amounts of "Things I Should Know"

Sorry for blasting you guys will all of these newb questions.
Don't be sorry - that's what communities like Wowinterface are for - helping each other out. Anyway, scrolling combat text (such as the default Blizzard Floating Combat Text, Scrolling Combat Text & Scrolling Combat Text Damage, MikScrollingCombatText and Parrot) are those floating texts that appear (usually somewhere above your head) when you hit a mob, or a mob hits you. The default Blizzard FCT are, when compared to the others I've mentioned here, slightly less appealing. I personally use Parrot at the moment, but I can recommend any of these addons as they're all very good.

Voonka just beat me by a few minutes!

Last edited by iljott : 01-08-08 at 12:52 AM.
01-12-08, 10:56 PM   #17
Shorty20
A Murloc Raider
Thanks for the clarification guys!

Well I found out I'm currently using Mikscrollingbattletext or something like that. It looks pretty cool

One last question for the next little while, i hope :P

What are some good mods for the chat box? I'm looking for something that is more customizable so i can move it around or adjust the size.

Thanks
01-12-08, 11:17 PM   #18
Eas
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

give prat a try, and for combat log grab eavesdrop. sorry, i would post link but im in a raid atm >.<

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » UI Help