04-16-09, 01:29 PM   #81
Zeyphos
A Defias Bandit
Course it is. the whole left half of my screen is unused, cuz I'm too lazy to move the mouse too far ;p

04-16-09, 04:33 PM   #82
cormanthor
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
With regards to the modular expansions and multi-site capability, has anyone at Curse been contacted with regards to developing their own module for this updater? As I understand it, the module will be able to display relevant news / ads / etc, so there should not be a problem (one would hope).

04-16-09, 04:45 PM   #83
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
They are aware of it. All that needs to be done is that a module be written by someone.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-17-09, 04:05 AM   #84
hoho
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
They are aware of it. All that needs to be done is that a module be written by someone.
Ok, so they know it's possible. Has any of them shown actual interest in developing it? To be honest I wouldn't be surprised to see them pushing on their own manager and ignoring the one you guys are writing. It's also saddening I've got zero feedback about it on their forums, like nobody actually cares about it

04-17-09, 08:14 AM   #85
Bomyne
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Can't wait, this sounds awesome.

Last edited by Bomyne : 04-17-09 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Adding my sig

04-17-09, 09:25 AM   #86
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
hoho, it's not even released yet.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-17-09, 01:20 PM   #87
Have91
A Murloc Raider
So...

How much longer you think till this updater hits Beta? A week... A month... Soon(tm)?

04-17-09, 02:23 PM   #88
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Have91 View Post
How much longer you think till this updater hits Beta? A week... A month... Soon(tm)?
Soon(TM)

There is ONE coder on the project and he has other things that like to take his time. Things like college and work.

04-17-09, 02:54 PM   #89
Have91
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Lykofos View Post
Soon(TM)

There is ONE coder on the project and he has other things that like to take his time. Things like college and work.
*sigh* Can't anyone who has tons of free time ever work on something important?

04-17-09, 05:10 PM   #90
Bomyne
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Have91 View Post
*sigh* Can't anyone who has tons of free time ever work on something important?
Why is a UI Manager/updater important?

Useful, yes. But not important.

04-17-09, 05:35 PM   #91
brent.billups
A Kobold Labourer
Can I help?

If this were available through the SVN on the Projects page, like some other projects seem to be, I would be glad to help out (yes, I write code for a living.) I don't even need write access, but can read and test code and submit patches.

Regards

04-17-09, 08:23 PM   #92
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by brent.billups View Post
If this were available through the SVN on the Projects page, like some other projects seem to be, I would be glad to help out (yes, I write code for a living.) I don't even need write access, but can read and test code and submit patches.

Regards
Brent, I have to respond to this. Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you. So many people are ready to vilify us because our updater isn't ready (not anyone in this thread, but I'm sure you can find enough other examples. ), it is so very nice to have someone offering to help.

And in case anyone else reads that wrong, please don't. I know that many of you are more than willing to help us beta test it, and we appreciate those offers just as much! We will be very glad of your feedback and bug reports when we get it to the point that it is ready for beta testing.

It's just nice to have someone who can actually help write code, etc, step up and offer to help out. It's been a very very long week (that isn't over yet /sigh), but this post along with all the rest of them that have been posted in our support and defense over the last week just means so very much to us right now. It put a smile on my face. Thank you.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

04-17-09, 09:04 PM   #93
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
http://www.mmoui.com/minion/alpha2.09.png <== Windows version

http://www.mmoui.com/minion/alpha2.09-osx.png <== Mac/Linux version

Here are small teaser pictures. Cairenn, Shirik or I may post more but wanted to give you something to see that there is progress.

The author donation links aren't implemented yet but we are going to have them before its released. Also there will be right click menu options to remove an AddOn, get more info (ie go to the info page), re-download/install?, etc.... As shown in the picture you will be able to search our entire addon database and install addons right from the program.

I didnt get pictures of the plugin system. Thats something shirik can show once he is ready.

*Feedback on what is shown on the interface is welcome.

Last edited by Cairenn : 04-21-09 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Added a link to a SS of the Mac/Linux version - Cairenn

04-17-09, 09:07 PM   #94
Bomyne
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
http://www.mmoui.com/minion/alpha2.09.png

Here is a small teaser picture. Cairenn, Shirik or I may post more but wanted to give you something to see that there is progress.

The author donation links aren't implemented yet but we are going to have them before its released. Also there will be right click menu options to remove an AddOn, get more info (ie go to the info page), re-download/install?, etc.... As shown in the picture you will be able to search our entire addon database and install addons right from the program.

I didnt get pictures of the plugin system. Thats something shirik can show once he is ready.

It looks awesome. The only noticable thing is that it's lacking in eye candy.

Cairenn: Sadly I know nothing about Java or I too would jump to help you. But I'm just a lowly PHP Programmer

04-17-09, 09:11 PM   #95
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Bomyne View Post

Cairenn: Sadly I know nothing about Java or I too would jump to help you. But I'm just a lowly PHP Programmer
"Eye candy" is a little vague and different for everyone - what exactly do you think is missing or could be displayed differently? How do you envision your updater?

04-17-09, 09:13 PM   #96
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Bomyne View Post

Bomyne, As I said, I really didn't want to hurt anyone else's feelings by my response to him, we really do appreciate everyone's support.

04-17-09, 09:13 PM   #97
BW~Merlin
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Looks good. The update client will need the ability to ignore some addon's (especially since there is a giant update all button) as some addon's people choose to use CC or update by hand .

Just from the screenshot I noticed that in the main panel lightheaded is listed as being made by jnwhiteh but in the right hand smaller panel it is listed as being made by Cladhair (yes I know they are the same person it was more to point it out that it was showing as being made by two different people).

04-17-09, 09:17 PM   #98
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Aye, the "ignore" will be a part of the right-click menu. We are actually planning on putting an "ignore once" as well as an "ignore" option in there, since it may be that you normally want to update an addon from our site, but this one time (for whatever reason) you don't want to.

04-17-09, 09:31 PM   #99
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

"Eye candy" is a little vague and different for everyone - what exactly do you think is missing or could be displayed differently? How do you envision your updater?
Personally, I think it would be awesome if it incorporated this site's themes. I know a great deal of people who post regularly around here use the "WoWI Dark" theme, it seems to be easier on my eyes .

I'm not an updater type person, anyway, so don't think of this as a request, just an opinion .

04-17-09, 09:39 PM   #100
Bomyne
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Personally, in this day and age it is rare to see an application that hasn't put at least a tiny bit of focus on it's appearance. I don't mean this in a negative way. Just open Windows Live Messenger or Opera or something to see what I mean.

It's not *needed* as such, but it's a nice feature

Cairenn: I know. I didn't mean it to come off that way lol. I'd love to be able to help with projects like this, but I know nothing about real programming languages

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Our UI Manager