02-28-06, 10:14 AM   #1
Grayhoof
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Looking for Feedback on SCT Beta code

Since pretty much day one, SCT has been a "learn as I go" project for me. Programming is my job, so I'm not new to that, but LUA was totally new to me. I've tried to continue to add performance tweaks, changes to code structure, etc...as I have found out about them in LUA/WoW. However, I'm not a huge UI forum reader and I'm sure there are still lots of areas in SCT that have never been looked at again by me simply because they work, so there hasn't been a need to revist them.

With the current version of SCT beta, there's been a pretty big re-write of the "core" functionality of it. Namely parsing the combat log events and the code structure around that. What I'm looking for is feedback from other authors on areas I can improve the performance of the code. Things I've missed, have snuck through, or i simply don't know about that could be done faster. I'm pretty diligent about running SCT solo and making sure WoW's performance monitors aren't going crazy, but I'm sure there is still room for improvement.

What I'm not looking for is comments about code styles/habbits . I don't need to hear "OMG you aren't using a 100% OOD approach" or "OMG you need to ACE it" or "OMG you are using OnUpdate". Stuff like that! Your welcome to still post them, I'll just ignore them .

I can say right now I know there's a better way to handle the options page and how I know what variable to store the changes in. Searching through the option table is not idea . The main reason I haven't messed with changing it is it works as is, and really you don't use the option page that often after you have SCT how you want it. Its on my list of things to change though . I'm also adding the ability to turn off the non-essential events that are currently used for parsing custom events. That way if you know you don't need them, you don't take the performance hit (however big or small it is).

Anyway, you can grab the latest released SCT BETA here: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...fo.php?id=3965. I have a local working copy with minor other changes, but nothing that's drastically different than what is released.

Any constructive feedback will be greatly appreciated!
04-07-06, 07:15 AM   #2
Nehek
A Defias Bandit
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...0115#post20115
^^
04-07-06, 07:33 AM   #3
Grayhoof
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There's a million places to posts about issues with SCT. Please save this thread for what it was intended for...though 4.1 is in release and no one responded intially =)

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Looking for Feedback on SCT Beta code