05-31-10, 05:39 PM   #1
Crozula
A Murloc Raider
Custom tweaks and Updates?

Just a quick question here.

I have made quite a few minor tweaks to nUI, many with the provided console commands, and others actually to the lua files themselves, such as adding in a readout that shows actual mana for my player bar, a couple tweaks to the chat box (so i can read it and the size doesn't autoresize when i login. I have crap eyesight). The question i have, is will all of this be undone if i install an update to the lastest version of nUI? If so, is there an easy way to keep these changes through an update, or will i have to redo all of them?

P.S. I kind of assume the console commands will be saved, and even if they weren't, they were relatively simple to do, so this question is mainly in regards to the changes to the lua files, where i would think an update would wipe them out completely.

Last edited by Crozula : 05-31-10 at 05:42 PM.

05-31-10, 05:53 PM   #2
Kodewulf
Premium Member

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Crozula View Post
I have made quite a few minor tweaks to nUI, many with the provided console commands, and others actually to the lua files themselves, such as adding in a readout that shows actual mana for my player bar, a couple tweaks to the chat box (so i can read it and the size doesn't autoresize when i login. I have crap eyesight). The question i have, is will all of this be undone if i install an update to the lastest version of nUI? If so, is there an easy way to keep these changes through an update, or will i have to redo all of them?
Between me and the genius, awesome guru Xrystal we should be able to figure out if we can stick your changes in a custom addon for you. All depends on the changes, and I can't promise anything. If you can ZIP up your nUI folder and point out the changes you've made I'll be happy to have a look for you.

Send me an email at [email protected].

05-31-10, 05:57 PM   #3
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Your console commands should be saved across an update unless you do a complete clean install.

For your custom lua changes you should backup whatever file you changed, then it should be a simple matter of doing the update then copy/paste your custom code to the new file.

Keep in mind that I'm no codemaster (that would be Scott and Xrystal) so this may all be bs on my part. Apologies if that's the case.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

05-31-10, 07:17 PM   #4
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Both answers are correct

When I make a custom change to the layout I make a note of what file and what I changed and what it was before.

That way I can always change it back at any time or add it again when a new version comes out.

That said, what kodewulf said is just as viable but I have as yet not figured out how to implement custom changes as a separate addon. Not that I have actually spent time investigating it rofl.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818

05-31-10, 09:30 PM   #5
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I would caution against investing too much time in the effort since nUI6 is starting alpha... I would tend to think of nUI5 as mostly dead now.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

05-31-10, 11:12 PM   #6
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

<Sob>

Oh nUI5, we hardly knew ye....

/play taps

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » Custom tweaks and Updates?