12-09-11, 12:25 PM   #1
Iza
A Cyclonian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
4.3 Secure handler trouble

Hi everyone,
VuhDo - and apparently all/most other addons with click-to-cast capabilities - seem to have the following problem as of patch 4.3: Clicking on dead targets for beneficial spells will turn the mouse pointer into "spell cast awaiting" blue/grey hand and people have to click outside of the secure frames to bring it back to normal. Otherwise (from what I've heard) no more spellcasting is possible. It doesn't even cast the preset spell onto another unit it seems. One can circumvent this by adding [nodead] conditional to macros for those spells. Obviously this won't apply to targets dying while spell cast was in progress. And this is my problem. Does anybody know of a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance,
Iza
12-10-11, 11:16 AM   #2
Saiket
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I think I've figured out exactly what changed, and a fix for it. In 4.3, if a spell is already "targeting" and you try to cast that same spell with or without an explicit target, the second cast won't go off. Here's the macro I used to confirm:
Code:
/cast [@none]Holy Light
/cast [@player]Holy Light
The first cast begins targeting the spell, and the second one gets ignored because it's the same spell.

Thankfully, there's a SecureActionButtonTemplate type "stop" that only clears the targeting spell and doesn't affect casting. Just click a button with that type before all click cast spells.

Here's the same test macro from above, but this time it clears the targeting spell first (and works):
lua Code:
  1. local Button = CreateFrame( "Button", "SpellStopTargetingButton", nil, "SecureActionButtonTemplate" );
  2. Button:SetAttribute( "type", "stop" ); -- Calls SpellStopTargeting
Code:
/cast [@none]Holy Light
/click SpellStopTargetingButton
You'd probably need some sort of proxy button to weave the extra click into all spell-related click-cast binds, but it should restore pre-4.3 behavior.
12-10-11, 04:26 PM   #3
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
This behaviour is hopefully a bug. Its a pain healing with eg binding heal and you accidentially click yourself. You cant use binding heal again until you clear the pointer or cast another spell.

And milling, disenchanting, prospecting-makros have the same problem. Its "only" annoying but still I hope its buggy and not another "great" idea of the l33t developer and his team.

Last edited by Rilgamon : 12-10-11 at 04:45 PM.
12-11-11, 03:13 AM   #4
Iza
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Saiket View Post
I think I've figured out exactly what changed, and a fix for it. In 4.3, if a spell is already "targeting" and you try to cast that same spell with or without an explicit target, the second cast won't go off. Here's the macro I used to confirm:
Code:
/cast [@none]Holy Light
The first cast begins targeting the spell, and the second one gets ignored because it's the same spell.

Thankfully, there's a SecureActionButtonTemplate type "stop" that only clears the targeting spell and doesn't affect casting. Just click a button with that type before all click cast spells.

Here's the same test macro from above, but this time it clears the targeting spell first (and works):
lua Code:
  1. local Button = CreateFrame( "Button", "SpellStopTargetingButton", nil, "SecureActionButtonTemplate" );
  2. Button:SetAttribute( "type", "stop" ); -- Calls SpellStopTargeting
Code:
/cast [@none]Holy Light
/click SpellStopTargetingButton
You'd probably need some sort of proxy button to weave the extra click into all spell-related click-cast binds, but it should restore pre-4.3 behavior.
This is a great idea. Thank you so much! I'm immediately going to try this.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » 4.3 Secure handler trouble