04-12-11, 03:42 AM   #741
Lily.Petal
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by haylie View Post
I'm not sure what to make of your UI. I get the feeling you're going for a minimal approach but at the same time I'm not.

Unimportant elements that should be small are too big/prominent (buffs, chat frame, the tooltip containing too much information placed in the middle of the screen, minimap full of buttons), the info text is scattered all over the place for the sake of being symmetrical when it would be much easier to group it all in one place (also, why are you using the durability dummy when you could add an info text for that?).

As for the party frames, well, they look nice, but not very functional. If you're gonna take up 30 pixels' worth of space for a panel showcasing their names then why make the actual health bar, which is the most important, only 5 pixels tall?
Well, like I said in an earlier post, this is kinda my 1st 'real' attempt at something like this. The Party frames, I think, you are looking at wrong. The area where the names are is the health panel, the colored area under it, is the Power bar. The health is a fill on loss deficit. I realized looking at the image that no one has less then 100% health. I am probably going to take out the names completely, as I don't need to know who they are, just their class/roll/health/mana.

I pretty much just skinned my tooltip then left it, I plan to go back and change a lot of things. I like giving small updates, getting criticism, changing a few things, then posting back on the progress, instead of putting this one screen shot of a finished product, and then being pointed out 'this' 'that' 'oh this' and then changing everything from the start. And I also generally like to put everything together, so that it has a certain feel to it, then go back and edit and fine tone things one by one. Such as the last several posts have been my Nameplates.

I'm used to playing on a 1680*1050 monitor, (my mac being even bigger) so I liked having slightly larger items to still look small on the screen compared to the rest of it.

And I am actually thankful for your post. I like knowing where things I can improve on

I have this 'idea' of what minimalistic is in my head, while not wrong, can conflict other's ideas. And I like being able to go to the middle ground in areas and learn other perceptions.

Originally Posted by Nibelheim View Post
There's definite room for improvement in terms of efficiency of layout, but personal preference also enters there.

The Party frames' health bars are actually the darkish areas (similar to the Player and Target frames), and the mana bars are the small bars (taking a guess).
Correct Nib~
Trying to find a good texture for my health though. Having bad luck or not liking a lot of things
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_041111_183438.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	5988  

Aggro Color to KG Panels Borders - Nibelheim
Lua Based UI Hider - Nibelheim
Custom LUA PowerText - Stuf - Nibelheim, Seerah

Last edited by Lily.Petal : 04-12-11 at 03:49 AM.

04-12-11, 03:57 AM   #742
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

As some quick observations, I would:

A) Move party frames down besides your Player frame block. Since there's 4 groups there, and 4 frames, it might match nicely. Also, make them a little more narrow (kind of like ToT frame size)

B) Convert threat meter to plain text, and perhaps only show yourself and the top 2 (Set max bars to three, and set Always show self). Picture included of a mock-up HuD I did using oUF_Hank and Omen. I think straight text on Omen looks hawt.

C) Make Buffs smaller to match Action Button size (top-right corner buffs)

D) Keep up the good work.

Trying to find a good texture for my health though. Having bad luck or not liking a lot of things
Hmm, gradients are probably not best suited to such a sharp UI. Try to find a texture that consists of maybe a slight pattern, with sharp distinctions between areas.

Ceck out: Ferous Media Pack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hank_hud3.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	5990  

Last edited by Nibelheim : 04-12-11 at 04:56 AM.

04-12-11, 05:01 AM   #743
Lily.Petal
A Molten Giant

As some quick observations, I would:

A) Move party frames down besides your Player frame block. Since there's 4 groups there, and 4 frames, it might match nicely. Also, make them a little more narrow (kind of like ToT frame size)

B) Convert threat meter to plain text, and perhaps only show yourself and the top 2 (Set max bars to three, and set Always show self). Picture included of a mock-up HuD I did using oUF_Hank and Omen. I think straight text on Omen looks hawt.

C) Make Buffs smaller to match Action Button size (top-right corner buffs)

D) Keep up the good work.

Hmm, gradients are probably not best suited to such a sharp UI. Try to find a texture that consists of maybe a slight pattern, with sharp distinctions between areas.

Ceck out: Ferous Media Pack
A) Moving the party frames and organizing them near the player was a great Idea.

B)No Idea how to set Sthreatmeter2 to show 3 bars+myself (i got the 3bars part, not show myself)

C)Seems to be working great right now, need to change buffs/debuffs at minimap still

D)Thank you

-- I will have to look at the media pack. The just flat texture (of my own) just doesn't look that good to me.

04-12-11, 05:09 AM   #744
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Originally Posted by Lily.Petal View Post
B)No Idea how to set Sthreatmeter2 to show 3 bars+myself (i got the 3bars part, not show myself)
Ahh... hmm..

Use Omen!

Attached some settings for 3 text lines. Profile to use is RealUI (can copy to a new profile name of your chosing). May need to adjust Font to match your UI. 1) Exit WoW. 2) Copy file to WTF\Account\YourAccountName\SavedVariables\ folder.

Last edited by Nibelheim : 09-22-11 at 02:16 AM.

04-12-11, 05:17 AM   #745
Lily.Petal
A Molten Giant

Ahh... hmm..

Use Omen!

Attached some settings for 3 text lines (may need to adjust font)
Will have to look at it again, been a LONG time since I've used Omen.

Also, this is where I am at right now~

And yes, I'm playing a male night elf lol.

EDIT: Just realized my text positioning for buffs/debuffs on everything is in different spots gah
EDIT2: The reason that the power bars seem 'empty' is that when you're in stuf config, it shows your class as your edit frames, and because DK RP 'grows' it's empty.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WoWScrnShot_041211_071640.jpg
Views:	847
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	5992  

Last edited by Lily.Petal : 04-12-11 at 05:20 AM.

04-12-11, 05:32 AM   #746
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Looking good.

For Omen, quickest way to make it appear for testing / moving is:
  1. /omen toggle
  2. /omen config
  3. Tick "Test mode"

Edit: Hmm, just realized, you may need to temporarily enable the Title Bar to move Omen. It'll be under the "Title Bar" category in Omen's options

Edit2: Oh yeah. You can use your new Frame Mover addon to move it Which is recommended, as Omen doesn't use proper anchoring methods. Frame name is "OmenAnchor"

Last edited by Nibelheim : 04-12-11 at 06:03 AM.

04-12-11, 08:29 AM   #747
MiniStew
A Cyclonian
This is my ui, only just made it. Looking for a sick minimap addon which would fit the look and add SBF and I think it'll be done. I made this for myself btw I doubt people would like it :L
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WoWScrnShot_041211_152754.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	477.5 KB
ID:	5994  

04-12-11, 10:07 AM   #748
Aschker
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by MiniStew View Post
This is my ui, only just made it. Looking for a sick minimap addon which would fit the look and add SBF and I think it'll be done. I made this for myself btw I doubt people would like it :L
Indeed :P As I see it fonts dont match, textures on bars dont match, the viewport doesnt look all that "cool" and theres too much info on the playerframe and some other stuff.. But I guess its all a personal taste thing. Although I would advise you to have all bar textures the same, as the fonts. Does make the whole thing look alot better.

04-12-11, 10:28 AM   #749
tinyu
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by MiniStew View Post
you could use Chinchilla (if it still works)

04-12-11, 10:39 AM   #750
Aprikot
A Frostmaul Preserver

And yes, I'm playing a male night elf lol.

EDIT: Just realized my text positioning for buffs/debuffs on everything is in different spots gah
EDIT2: The reason that the power bars seem 'empty' is that when you're in stuf config, it shows your class as your edit frames, and because DK RP 'grows' it's empty.
Ooo...upload that bad boy <3

04-12-11, 01:21 PM   #751
MiniStew
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by tinyu View Post
you could use Chinchilla (if it still works)
I use chinchilla but can't configure it to look like my ui

04-12-11, 08:23 PM   #752
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Try the "Slanted" skin/shape of my PocketPlot addon...
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-13-11, 04:32 PM   #753
tenub
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Another compact concept showing player,target, and focus frames. "Where is the player frame?" you may ask. It's pretty obviously the largest numbers.

Note: hp percentages will only show if below 100%.

04-14-11, 06:51 AM   #754
Tari-en
A Fallenroot Satyr
My HealerUi

04-14-11, 09:50 AM   #755
Mischback
A Cobalt Mageweaver

This is great!

Everything fits together and it is clean and functional. Really like it!

04-14-11, 10:08 AM   #756
Remsaa
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I like it!

04-14-11, 10:08 AM   #757
Remsaa
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by tenub View Post
Another compact concept showing player,target, and focus frames. "Where is the player frame?" you may ask. It's pretty obviously the largest numbers.

Note: hp percentages will only show if below 100%.
Awesome work you are putting into it, keep it up!

04-14-11, 10:34 AM   #758
Archer50
An Aku'mai Servant
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations

Casting

rested, out of combat

04-14-11, 12:50 PM   #759
Tari-en
A Fallenroot Satyr
Thanks @ all

Raidshot

04-14-11, 02:02 PM   #760
Mischback
A Cobalt Mageweaver

This is f****** awesome! Is it DBM in use there?

May I ask, how did you skin it? Because I'm kind of afraid of messing around with DBMs code, I'm not willing to update it after every update.

Looks really great, but I would suggest to make DBM (or whatever) fit more to you unitframes: Make the border dark/black and take the same font/font size.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » UI Feedback Thread