04-17-09, 09:42 PM   #101
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
P.S. - just in case you're curious and/or confused about the MMOUI logo, it is from here: http://www.mmoui.com/ MMOUI is our new (-ish) domain name. Figured it would be easier to add sites to our network as subdomains to that address. Like http://war.mmoui.com/ Our older sites haven't switched over to it, but if you go to http://wow.mmoui.com it takes you here.

Just fyi.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-17-09, 09:56 PM   #102
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Bomyne - I know.

Our main focus to this point has been the actual code, to make sure it's the best we can, for functionality, etc. So getting the feedback from you guys on how you'd like it to "look" is great.

Part of what we are trying to do is make sure that we keep it "clean". A lot of people tend to complain when something like an updater is all glitz and flash, if you know what I mean.

Last edited by Cairenn : 04-17-09 at 10:06 PM.

04-17-09, 10:04 PM   #103
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Also, keep in mind that there can be plugins for different sites. The default site colors for here are different from the site colors for here: http://war.mmoui.com/
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-17-09, 10:08 PM   #104
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Also, keep in mind that there can be plugins for different sites. The default site colors for here are different from the site colors for here: http://war.mmoui.com/
Which are also different than the default colours than say, here, should someone write a plugin for there.

04-17-09, 10:32 PM   #105
Bomyne
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Oh! Usablity suggestion/request!

The ability to supply my MMOI/WoWI username and update addons like nUI+ that are subscription based would be awesome. I mean, I know he tells me in the newsletter that it's updated, but...

04-17-09, 10:52 PM   #106
Eas
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Looks awesome. Can't wait to use this thing! Keep the work up everyone!

04-18-09, 01:47 AM   #107
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Probably already said, but I hope there is an option to install library files independently.

For me, that's a game-changer/breaker.

04-18-09, 07:42 AM   #108
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
Probably already said, but I hope there is an option to install library files independently.

For me, that's a game-changer/breaker.
Since WoWI will not pull from other sites, it will all depend if the libraries are hosted here and kept updated. I would image that they would also need a means to let author point their addon to libraries that it uses on WoWI.

In the end, I would imagine that you would get the addon as the author had uploaded here to WoWI. If they upload with embeded libraries, you will get them embedded.

But the teaser screenshot looks quite nice It even has one of my addons in the list! Woot! I'm famous!

From what I have seen and read so far, even if WoWMatrix gets up to speed again somehow, once this manager is released, it won't matter. It is on it's way on being a superior addon updater

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]

04-18-09, 12:02 PM   #109
Falter
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I would suggest you find a way to separate this revenue stream from the rest of the ZAM premium subscription.

Sorry, but looking at the features of the ZAM membership for $3.33 essentially nets me a fully functioning user to another blog/forum, which I don't need. I got plenty of that for free as it is.

But, if you can offer me reliable or guaranteed add-on delivery from an updated actively-developed multi-platform tool, I'd pay to make it ad-free (though I'd like to evaluate an ad-based version first).

I would suggest something in the neighborhood of $1 to $1.99.

For $1, I would like to think you could cover the cost of a user updating daily. I would hope you would also include an opt-in where users could include an ongoing monthly donation to a general fund for add-on authors. Then I'd like to see the add-on authors be able to help decide how that money is spent (either author rewards or community upgrades).

For $1.99, you better tell me you've got some money being set aside each month for redistribution to the authors as part of the fee to be distributed like how I mentioned.

Features are a moot point to me. 90% or more of the user base just wants a one-button wonder. But the revenue issue has been quite prominent with this issue, so get that part right with this client, please. And try to beat or tie Curse in getting to that point.

That's my $0.02. I'm saving the other $1.97 for the monthly fee when the client comes out.

04-18-09, 03:54 PM   #110
Have91
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Bomyne View Post
Why is a UI Manager/updater important?

Useful, yes. But not important.
Because most people (Me being one of them) Are naturally lazy and get mad when things aren't easy to do.

04-18-09, 05:49 PM   #111
Bomyne
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Have91 View Post
Because most people (Me being one of them) Are naturally lazy and get mad when things aren't easy to do.
Thats why I said useful. You don't *need* one. You don't even *need* addons .

The user I quoted seemed to be saying that the author of the program should drop everything for it. But real life takes priority over stuff like this.

04-18-09, 06:27 PM   #112
illumnat
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Question Mac version right?

There is going to be a Mac version of the UI manager right? I mean surely if WoWMatrix pulled off both a PC and a Mac version, WoWInterface will have one right?

04-18-09, 06:40 PM   #113
jonathon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by illumnat View Post
There is going to be a Mac version of the UI manager right? I mean surely if WoWMatrix pulled off both a PC and a Mac version, WoWInterface will have one right?
the client as stated in the thread is going to be platform independent. so yes it will work on a mac/linux/windows environ... it will be one program that works on all three platforms.

Last edited by jonathon : 04-19-09 at 08:03 AM.

04-18-09, 06:41 PM   #114
jonathon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I just saw the screen shot of the app, and I must say it looks nice. just the way I would want a Utility app to look, I especially like the green gradient. Keep up the good work guys, wish I had more coding knowledge to help.

04-18-09, 11:06 PM   #115
Bomyne
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by illumnat View Post
From what I understand, as long as the platform supports Java, this updater will work.

04-19-09, 01:51 AM   #116
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by jonathon View Post
the client as stated in the thread is going to be platform independent. so yes yet will work on a mac/linux/windows environ... it will be one program that works on all three platforms.
Just to clarify, actually several different applications will be maintained because of one of the components being OS-specific and architecture-specific, however to the user this will be transparent -- the installer and updater will figure out which OS/architecture combination will be appropriate and install it accordingly.

To the user, there is only one program. However the fact that there are actually multiple ones, bugs might pop up only for one OS or architecture (this has already happened once).
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

04-19-09, 02:32 AM   #117
Ebnot
A Kobold Labourer
Need a hand?

Hi.

I've been a long time user of WUU because it is the only updater app I've been able to run properly in a linux environment. Anyway, I'm really happy to see there's a new updater being developed. My employer sometimes forces me to write a few lines of Java, so...

Should you need a hand coding (a curse module would be great *hint*) or just someone to do a code review, contact me. I still got some vacation left.

regards - felix

04-19-09, 03:36 AM   #118
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Have91 View Post
WOW!! An updater user who actually admits to laziness! Thank you for your honesty Have91! Sir, I salute you!

(sad that thats the closest I could come to a salute smiley lol)

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

04-19-09, 03:50 AM   #119
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin

04-19-09, 04:44 AM   #120
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Well, sure... It's easy if you have access to the "special" smilies.. smilys? Damn, I'm tired...

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Our UI Manager