12-25-09, 06:11 PM   #1
d20hero
A Murloc Raider
Arrow The Old Republic Beta Interface

So i'm absolutely in love with a lot of elements this interface has. It's simple, informative and effective. In an attempt to recreate some of the elements this UI has, I have hit a few roadblocks. Currently I cannot find any information on creating "glowing" or "soft edge" textures, mainly to make the health bars and casting bar appear of similar quality. Also I'm wondering if there is any lua script to recreate the inverted coloring of the cast bar as its filling. I plan on fully developing this UI over time but for now my goal is to achieve similar unit frames . Any advice is welcome.

p.s. I'll continue posting screenshots from the game with notes on things I want to try and do.

Casting Bar

Out of Combat

Boss Mob Targeted

Elite Mob

In Combat

Last edited by d20hero : 12-25-09 at 06:58 PM.
12-25-09, 06:22 PM   #2
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
For a glowing texture, you're going to want to make a solid color and use an alpha layer. You can probably find out what you need to do this on your own, or someone else might chime in with better help. I gots to get back to playing New SMB with family
12-25-09, 06:40 PM   #3
zero-kill
A Firelord

Well a choke ability would need to be channeled, not casted, thus the backwards "wind down" effect. I'm sure the client has a similar structure that WoW has (i.e. mpq files with loads of textures, etc.) I'd look into their forums and see if you can find them, then simply convert those to .blp which is most common for them.

Last edited by zero-kill : 12-25-09 at 06:42 PM.
12-25-09, 07:05 PM   #4
d20hero
A Murloc Raider
Unhappy

Originally Posted by zero-kill View Post
I'd look into their forums and see if you can find them, then simply convert those to .blp which is most common for them.
It's currently in alpha, in house, closed beta so getting a hold of those textures that way is not a possibility.
12-25-09, 07:42 PM   #5
Dawn
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Those textures are everything, but complex. Are those gamecamshots or something? Because the quality and detail of those textures really sucks.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

12-25-09, 07:44 PM   #6
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Its probably a screenshot of one of the videos.
12-25-09, 08:22 PM   #7
d20hero
A Murloc Raider
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Its probably a screenshot of one of the videos.
Only way I could get the pictures.
12-25-09, 08:24 PM   #8
zero-kill
A Firelord

I posit that you wait for the game to release, then "gracefully swipe" the textures. That or find a very bored photoshop guru.
12-25-09, 08:35 PM   #9
d20hero
A Murloc Raider
*waits for photoshop guru*
12-25-09, 08:43 PM   #10
zero-kill
A Firelord

Even at my resolution it still looks god awful.

Last edited by zero-kill : 12-25-09 at 09:23 PM.
12-25-09, 09:30 PM   #11
d20hero
A Murloc Raider
Ive tried every texture in the shared media folders available and have yet to find a texture that comes out with the same vibrant colors. Any suggestions?
12-25-09, 09:30 PM   #12
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Wow those character models look horrible for a next-gen mmo =(

Marth

12-25-09, 09:48 PM   #13
Ovario
An Aku'mai Servant
It's screenshots of a gameplay video... stop trying to compare the quality to that of how it is in-game.
12-26-09, 11:05 AM   #14
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

As stated, those are video screen-shots. However I should clarify this further:

Those are video screen-shots of a development build and are several months old (those videos were shown at E3).

Thus character models and such are NOT finished in those videos. Even at high resolutions, the screen-shots are not going to be that great as the videos suffer due to compression.

Another point regarding character models: according reports that I have seen in various gaming magazines and from BioWare, they are not going for "realistic models". Instead BioWare is leaning more toward the WoW route with a slightly "stylized" look though not as "cartoony" as WoW's models. This will allow SW:ToR to run on more main stream systems. Bioware is not going to restrict SW:ToR to those who can afford uber systems. While some "hard-core" gamers who have such uber systems may not be happy, it does not make any sense for BioWare to restrict their MMO to such a small market (yes, those with the uber systems are a small market despite what you and your e-peen think). BioWare is a business and it's in their best interest to get as many players into their MMO as possible. Besides, it's not realistic graphics that counts, it's the story, gameplay, community and such that keep people coming back for more. This is the secret to WoW's success despite what the vocal minority would have you believe.

Last edited by Zyonin : 12-26-09 at 01:58 PM.
12-26-09, 12:41 PM   #15
v6o
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by d20hero View Post
Ive tried every texture in the shared media folders available and have yet to find a texture that comes out with the same vibrant colors. Any suggestions?
Most likely because they didn't want it to burn your eyes away. On a serious note if you open an texture up you'll notice it's all shades of gray. If you use white (#FFFFFF) instead you'd get the vibrant colors you're looking for.
Remember to color the Statusbar correctly with a vibrant color as well.

If you need to contact me, do so on Twitter @v6ooo

Best regards, v6.
12-26-09, 06:29 PM   #16
d20hero
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Yourstruly View Post
Most likely because they didn't want it to burn your eyes away. On a serious note if you open an texture up you'll notice it's all shades of gray. If you use white (#FFFFFF) instead you'd get the vibrant colors you're looking for.
Remember to color the Statusbar correctly with a vibrant color as well.
Finally somebody on topic. Thank you for your helpfull input.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » The Old Republic Beta Interface