07-15-16, 10:41 AM   #1
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Question Map issue with latest Master on Github

Update: This issue is no longer relevant since the recent pre-expansion push renders the related version of Carbonite (Github Master) unusable, and the person I was trying to help refused to do any further troubleshooting and removed it anyway.

I talked a friend of mine into trying Carbonite last night and she encountered the following issue.

Both the minimap and full sized map show a block of Icons all clumped together. Since we don't live in the same country, I couldn't just run over to her place to help her fix the issue, and she is too impatient to follow the troubleshooting steps I wanted to walk her through on vent. So I had her send me a list of her addons so I could see what I could find out.

I searched though this forum and found only one post about what looked like the same problem. Since she uses the same addon that was mentioned in that post I installed it, but it didn't repeat her issue.

So between Github and this forum, I could only find one similar but no help. So rather than install a bunch of addons I don't use myself, I decided to post it here with a screenshot and a list of my friend's addons to see if anyone might be able to help.

The attached screenshot should be self explanatory. I have been able to confirm that none of Carbonite's map settings either create or solve this problem and that at least Silver Dragon doesn't cause this issue.

Here is a list of the addons my friend uses:

Addons
Adorable Hatchling Nests
Auchionator
Autorepair
Bagnon
Bartender4 --I use this, so not the issue--
BattlegroundTargets
Carbonite
Chatter
Derangement's Minimap Blips
Derangement's Pet Battle Cooldowns
DontBuyIt
FlyoutButtonCustom --not the issue--
FogLight
FollowerLocationInfo
Gatherer
Gladius
HandyNotes --I tested this recently. Doesn't cause the issue and still not working with Carb--
HandyNotes-AzerothsTopTunes
HandyNotes-DraenorTreasures
HandyNotes-HallowsEnd
HandyNotes-LunarFestival
HandyNotes-WorldMapButton
HideNpcTracking
Masque; Diablo; Serenity; Renaitre
Master Plan
Mast Plan A
Mik's Scrolling Battle Text
Moveanything
MSBT
PetJournal Enchanced --not the issue--
PetTracker --not the issue--
Postal
Quartz
Rematch
Sell-O-Matic
Sexy Map --friend disabled this, but it didn't fix the issue--
SilverDragon --confirmed not the issue--
Skada --I use this, so not the issue--
Storyline
TexBrowser
TidyPlates
TipTac
Titan Panel; DualSpec; Mail; Garrison Resources; Apexis Crystals; Reputation --I tested just Titan Panel main recently, but that doesn't cause the issue.--
TomTom
WIM
Yury's RuneDisplay
Z-Perl
Deadly Boss Mods --not the issue--

If no one has encountered this issue or knows if any of the addons I didn't mark as "not the issue" causes this, then I will have to test each one of these myself. If that is the case, I'll post my results for future reference.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Minimap and Icon issue SC.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	8750  

Last edited by JWMcQuire : 07-20-16 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Added Attachment I forgot - thx jeffy162
07-15-16, 11:37 AM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You mention it, but, you didn't attach a screen shot. That being said - try disabling TomTom.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
07-15-16, 11:48 AM   #3
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
You mention it, but, you didn't attach a screen shot. That being said - try disabling TomTom.
lol Thanks for letting me know that. I got briefly distracted and completely forgot it.

I'll have to install TomTom and see if that is it. I did tell her to disable TomTom emulation if she intends to continue to use both if we get this fixed.
07-15-16, 11:54 AM   #4
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
It happens to me with handynotes draenor, when handynotes is enabled in carbonite, the icon on the map is a very tiny box like that with lots of even smaller icons.
07-15-16, 11:59 AM   #5
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
It happens to me with handynotes draenor, when handynotes is enabled in carbonite, the icon on the map is a very tiny box like that with lots of even smaller icons.
Thanks Rythal, I'll check that out and have my friend try disabling that.
07-15-16, 01:46 PM   #6
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Follow-up

Ok, I tried TomTom, not the problem.
I tried all the Handynotes modules in the addon list, and no problems.
I tried Gatherer, not the problem.
I tried Derangement's Minimap Blips, also not the problem.

Since I couldn't duplicate this issue testing the usual suspects, I am going to assume my friend needs to check for updates to the mods she has installed, especially Handynotes which I left installed for further testing.

Hopefully my friend will agree to check for updates for the other addons which I think will solve her problem. I probably should have suggested she do that first anyway.

Thanks Rythal and Jeffy126 for your suggestions. I appreciate that.
07-15-16, 05:42 PM   #7
Londroth
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Check to see if he has an addon called Silver Dragon....i get the same thing when it is active, but the mini-icons go away when I disable it. I really like some of the functions w/ Silver Dragon though, so i've learned to live with it.

.....though now I see that you have confirmed that SD was not the issue. Not sure then, though for me, disabling SD got rid of those, even with Handy Notes Draenor still active.

Last edited by Londroth : 07-15-16 at 05:45 PM. Reason: re-read initial post
07-20-16, 06:27 AM   #8
WOWVern
A Cyclonian

Try disabling this one. Minimap buttons are a pain to disable individually.
07-20-16, 07:46 AM   #9
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by WOWVern View Post

Try disabling this one. Minimap buttons are a pain to disable individually.

Thanks for the suggestion WoWVern, but all the HN modules she had installed and Silver Dragon, the other usual suspect for creating that issue worked fine on my system. Also, the person I was attempting to help refused to try my "Uninstall/reinstall" suggestion of her mods and removed Carbonite ending any further troubleshooting of this issue.

More importantly, this issue is now obsolete anyway since that version of Carbonite was rendered unusable when Pre-patch was pushed yesterday (7/19). So this thread no longer needs further discussion on this issue.
07-20-16, 08:28 AM   #10
Swirrel
An Aku'mai Servant
3 troubleshooting steps

Below addons work with Carbonite. Several of them have been around for years and years, where others are newer, but still works with Carbonite.
Adorable Hatchling Nests
Bagnon
Bartender4
Carbonite
Gatherer
HandyNotes
HandyNotes-AzerothsTopTunes
HandyNotes-DraenorTreasures
HandyNotes-HallowsEnd
HandyNotes-LunarFestival
Master Plan
Mast Plan A
PetJournal Enchanced
PetTracker (and a gazillion of those starting with Titan Panel Rep/archeology/pet ect).
Quartz
Skada
Titan Panel (and a gazillion of those starting with Titan Panel Rep/archeology/pet ect).
WIM
Z-Perl
Deadly Boss Mods

There is really only 1 (imo) fail-safe way to check which addon-/s (if more than 1) is causing this issue. I'm afraid it's a little time consuming, but at the same time satisfying to know which is causing the issue.
And tell your friend that doing the set-up on Carbonite or any other addon is important. Perhaps more so with Carbonite, despite that it's been split in to severals addons. So more the need to set it up right.

First:
Get an addon that can track any errors/bugs, so if there are any, the error can be reported to the Author-/s and possibly fixed. I'm not entirely sure if Blizzard still has it's own feature for debugging. But either way, if an error notice pops up on the screen there's a chance it will tell you which addon/module is causing the error/bug.
As I said before, the listed addons works with Carbonite. However, you might want to disable HandyNotes in the beginning. (It can't hurt).
Important: Remember which addons you turned on last and second last. Write it down if you have too.
Turn Carbonite on and 2-3 other addons that your friend can't "live without". Log in. If the issue isn't thre, log out, turn another 2-3 addons on and log in. If the issue still isn't there, log out and turn on another 2-3 addons ect ect ect untill there is an issue.
If/when the issue arises. It's super important that you're able to remember which were the last 2-3 addons you turned on. So log out and turn all but 1 of the 2-3 off and log back in... Do you still have an issue?
If no, log out, turn 1 more of the 2-3 on and log back in, if no issues still, then just to be sure, log out and turn the last of the 2-3 on and log back in, if you get the error here, then write that addon off for now.
Continue with logging in/put for testing to see if there is more than 1 addon causing issues.
If there is, write it off for now as well.
When you're done, and if you have more than 1 addon causing the issue, either live with the annoying issue you have or
find another addon that does the same, but works with Carbonite! or
simply learn to live without the addons causing you issues.

Second:
Exit game and launcher.
Head in to the folder or drive where WoW is installed, navigate to 1: WTF > Account > "Account Name" > SavedVariables.
DO NOT delete anything you don't know what is!
Should there however be any names of an addon that you no longer use, delete it's 2 files. If there is more than 1 addon name in there that you no longer use the addon for, delete it's 2 files.
When done, close the window.
Log back in to WoW. Do you still have issues. If no. Grats you're done.
If yes, log out and go forward with option 3.

Third:
Close the game as well as the launcher.
If above steps doesn't work, and most of us probaly really dislike the next step is to make a copy of the 3 folders: Cache, Interface, WTF, then place them somewhere else for back up. then delete the original 3 (cache, interface, wtf) and start the game back up and log in.
Silly really, but turn debugging on and either reload or log out/in. Anything? If anything, report it to Blizzard that you're getting errors after a reset of the 3 folders and that you have no addons installed. Wait for reply, if any.
If no issues, exit game and launcher.
Start with downloaded all addons anew. Yes it's a pain, but sometimes necessary and it's best to do it on a clean "install" of the 3 folders.
Log in with ALL addons turned without "load out of date addons) turn debugging on. reload or log out/in. Anything? if no. Exit game, restart pc (because it's wise though it may not matter, but can't hurt), log back in to wow, anything? no. Continue setting up your addons.
Delete the copy you made of the Cache, Interface, WTF folders.

The Third is a bitch. But sometimes whether we like it or not, is necessary.

Figuring out which addon-/s is causing issue-/s is a pain in the ass, but it's well worth the effort AND you get to know which addons works together with the ones you just have to have.
When the problem is solved you can turn debugging or the debugging addon off again. It's no fun to have even the tiniest errors pop up in the middle of your screen while you're busy doing other stuff.

Also if you're friend aren't up for the way to troubleshoot addons, perhaps said friend shouldn't use addons or at least not as many to begin with.
It's not to be mean, but asking for help and not really being interested when it requires a little more than the most simple steps is just not OK.

Well. Anyway, the above troubleshooting step I've provided is something I myself have used quite a few times for the past 10yrs I've played WoW.
I started with 200+ addons and not counting Blizzards own stuff. I started using Carbonite shortly after it was released and was only able to be downloaded from carboniteaddon.com for the newest version.
I've only kept the addons above that I myself at any time have ever used while also using Carbonite, aside from Bagnon. Several friends/guildies over time have used Bagnon and Carbonite at the same time and never reported issues to me with the two together (I talked them in to using Carbonite).

If your friend is having any other issues, see you're private messages.

//Swirrel

Ps. Attachment is just to show my personal current addons that I know works with Carbonite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Addon Picture.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	8755  
07-20-16, 09:38 AM   #11
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Swirrel View Post
Below addons work with Carbonite. Several of them have been around for years and years, where others are newer, but still works with Carbonite.

<Snip>

Thank you for your detailed set of instructions for troubleshooting addons, but as I mentioned in my last post on this subject, my friend refused to do any further troubleshooting and removed Carbonite.

Also, as I mentioned in my last post, the latest pre-expansion push from Blizzard rendered that version of Carbonite unusable.

I also replied to your pm and appreciate your offer of further assistance, but this issue is now closed and needs no further discussion.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite: Maps (Main AddOn) » Map issue with latest Master on Github