03-06-08, 02:33 PM   #1
Johncena
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Rogue/mage addons and screen shots

Hello all,

Im currently a PvP Spec Rogue, and also have a 65 Fire mage *that will be raiding weekly* im trying to get togeather a list of Addons to acomdate both rogue pvp and Mage raid.

A bit of a difficult task im sure.

but i want my screen to be open i need to see alot with arena's and Bg's and i need to be able to see every thing during raids as well.

I have a few addons which i really dont know what they are but have seen them in Screen shots.

Just to list a few that i would like and please do let me know what i should get .

First a list of what i have

Omen
Titan
Xperl
pitbull

Let me tel you what. i already know i doubled down on 2 of the same add on cause when i joined my first bg's i had 2 sets of raid groups and then the horde raid groups and lets just say that was a sight to say the least :P

SO what is better Pitbull or Xperl ?

Im also being told Titan is a bit out dated and i should go with Fubar.

what i have noticed with these addons i cant seem to see my combo points count. So im blindly doing my finishing moves . So that needs to be changed ASAP.

So here is a bit of a small list i would like.

1. i would love combat txt to scroll on my screen.
2. combo points to also scroll on my screen.
3. enemy cast bar with what they are casting.
4. a smaller set of hot buttons, that takes up less room and i can make the buttons smaller and stack roughly 3 to 4 sets of bars in the middle of my screen so i can still see every thing on the left and right side of them
5. im being told it's a archud has my health around my toon and my manna on the other side kida like a half circle .
6. a cool down count down

This is just on my rogue.

For my caster friends please do help me out cause im just lost with these addons, but i want a clean screen yet with all the info that is needed to acomplish my goals.

I do thank you for your time and insite can't wait to see what is shown to me on the addons

Thank you again all

Johnny
03-06-08, 03:41 PM   #2
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
SO what is better Pitbull or Xperl ?

This more of personal preference, both will display the same information. If you are into totally tweaking then Pitbull has the edge. If you are just looking for something that works "out of the box" with out much hassle then Xperl. Also many PvPers use ag_UnitFrames (agUF) however it has fewer features than Xperl or Pitbull.

Im also being told Titan is a bit out dated and i should go with Fubar.

Titan was out of date, however a new dev team (rather than just one author) has picked up development. At this current time Fubar has the edge in plug-ins however there are some interesting ideas on the horizon. The Titan dev has put a lot of work into the latest version. You can find it on this site. Personally I use Fubar and have used for the last couple of years (back when it was known as "Boss Panel") however previously I had used Titan Panel (it was my first ever WoW AddOn)

what i have noticed with these addons i cant seem to see my combo points count. So im blindly doing my finishing moves . So that needs to be changed ASAP.

Try NugComboBar (found on this site). Xperl has the option of displaying combo points in the name bar in addition to the Blizzard version. Once it is full, you got five combo points. Pitbull can display either/both graphic combo points (which you change the size and placement of) or numerical combo points (again you change the size and placement of such)

So here is a bit of a small list i would like.

1. i would love combat txt to scroll on my screen.
SCT/SCTD, MiksScrollingBattleText (MSBT), Parrot. I like both MSBT and Parrot, MSBT is a bit lighter in resources, Parrot is more customizable.

2. combo points to also scroll on my screen.
Any of the Scrolling Combat Text mods I listed can display that, you may have to enable it

3. enemy cast bar with what they are casting.
Quartz, AzCastBar. Pitbull, agUF and XPerl also have cast bars/enemy cast bars.

4. a smaller set of hot buttons, that takes up less room and i can make the buttons smaller and stack roughly 3 to 4 sets of bars in the middle of my screen so i can still see every thing on the left and right side of them
Bongos2, Bartender3, Trinity Bars are excellent choices here, I use Bongos2

5. im being told it's a archud has my health around my toon and my manna on the other side kida like a half circle .
ArcHUD, DHUD, DaHUD, mHUD, IceHUD among others

6. a cool down count down
OmniCC for CD counts on your buttons, for bars Hourglass, CooldownTimer2 among others. I personally use OmniCC since it works with so many mods and the CD bar from Forte Warlock

This is just on my rogue.

For my caster friends please do help me out cause im just lost with these addons, but i want a clean screen yet with all the info that is needed to acomplish my goals.
Most of what mentioned previously will work for casters as well. Enemy cast bars for seeing what your target is casting so you use your countermeasures (Polymorph/Blink/Counterspell). CD timers are useful, you may also want to consider spell timers such as DoTimer, Chronometer, ClassTimers

I do thank you for your time and insite can't wait to see what is shown to me on the addons

All these mods can be found on this site http://www.wowinterface.com or on the WoWAce files site: http://files.wowace.com. The mods I listed will form the basis of a solid UI, anything else is just filler.

The List: (mods marked with * I currently use)

Unit Frames
- Xperl - WoWI
- Pitbull - WoWAce*
- ag_UnitFrames - WoWAce

SCT mods
- SCT/SCTD - WoWI/WoWAce
- MiksScrollingBattleText - WoWI*
- Parrot - WoWAce

Combo Displays
- NugComboBar - WoWI*
- various unit frame mods

Cast bars/Enemy cast bars
- Quartz - WoWAce/WoWI
- AzCastBar - WoWI*
- various unit frame mods

Action Bar mods
- Bongos2 WoWI*
- Bartender3 WoWI/WoWAce
- Trinity Bars WoWI

Cooldown counters
- OmniCC - WoWI*
- CooldownTimer2 - WoWAce
- Hourglass - WoWAce

HUDs
- DHUD2 (Drathul's HUD update) - WoWACe
- DaHUD - WoWI/WoWACe
- ArcHUD2 - WoWI/WoWAce
- IceHUd - WoWAce/WoWI
- mHUD - WoWAce

Spell Timers
- Chronometer - WoWAce
- DoTimer - WoWI
- ClassTimer - WoWAce

Last edited by Zyonin : 03-06-08 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Typos and post cleanup
03-06-08, 03:47 PM   #3
Johncena
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Fantastic !

You answered every question i have had or ever will i belive .

Thank you so much looks like i got some dicisions to make

Thank you again Xinh for your time and answers

Johnny
03-06-08, 03:59 PM   #4
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Updated my post abit, check it out.
03-06-08, 04:01 PM   #5
Johncena
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Xinh View Post
Updated my post abit, check it out.

Holy WoW you did update the pants off that bad boy !

By chance can i see a screen shot of your's just curious with the knowledge you have to see what you have created.

Thank you again Xinh

Johnny
03-06-08, 04:09 PM   #6
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Sure, I just need upload my UI to a photo host, now were is that Imageshack
shortcut? Oh yes...

OK here is an SS with handy labels to some of the mods shown. Some poor Warrior was the unwilling "subject" (or should say victim? ) in this screenshot.

Last edited by Zyonin : 03-06-08 at 04:32 PM.
03-06-08, 06:16 PM   #7
Johncena
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
WoW ! i so want mine to look like yours thats freaking perfect !
03-06-08, 11:38 PM   #8
Johncena
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Sure, I just need upload my UI to a photo host, now were is that Imageshack
shortcut? Oh yes...

OK here is an SS with handy labels to some of the mods shown. Some poor Warrior was the unwilling "subject" (or should say victim? ) in this screenshot.

What is the grid for ? I cant see that area of the pic to well. Looks great !
03-07-08, 02:25 AM   #9
Johncena
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Okay got a problem so i got all my addon's dl and when i go to extract them i get a error

*Edit*

I got the addon's on my Pc and extracted to my WoW add ons folder.

Now when i start WoW and select my Toon. I have no little box saying addon's

Any idea how i can get these to load ?

Johnny

Last edited by Johncena : 03-07-08 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Im a nub @ Addon's
03-07-08, 02:49 AM   #10
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Grid is the name of a mod, its a compact set of raid frames. As I am playing a rogue, I do not require a lot of raid detail thus the minimal raid frames. I have tweaked it so the frames are fairly small. I have to work within the constraints of a screen that maxes out at 1024x768 (its an old LCD)

Regarding errors: what kind of errors? Is WoW throwing an error or is it Windows? I normally unpack zip files with a program like 7Zip into a temporary folder (usually my Desktop), open the folder up to make sure I don't have "folder within a folder" syndrome and I also check for any "funny" files that can hide Trojans, keyloggers and other nasties. Your folder structure should look this:

\Interface\AddOns\
AddOn1
- AddOn.toc
- AddOn.lua
AddOn2
- AddOn.toc
- AddOn.lua

If it looks like this:

\Interface\AddOns\
AddOn1
- AddOn
-- AddOn.toc
-- AddOn.lua
AddOn2
-AddOn2
-- AddOn.toc
-- AddOn.lua

or like this:

\Interface\AddOns\
AddOn1sr135456
- AddOn1
-- AddOn.toc
-- AddOn.lua
AddO2nrew3243
-AddOn2
-- AddOn.toc
-- AddOn.lua

Then you got folder in folder syndrome. You will need to move the actual AddOn folder out of the "container" folder.

Regarding my setup, it involved a degree of tinkering and some code changes, custom textures (backgrounds/borders) and time. The chat box is modded by my personal mod of oChat (itself a mod of idChat). The Minimap is modded and moved by a mod called Chinchilla. The UnitFrames are a custom Pitbull layout. The portraits are produced by ZuxanaModelCitizen (known as ZMobDB Advanced on this site. Chat/portrait/actionbar backgrounds are panels created by eePanels2 with custom borders from TapestryUI (I just grabbed the files from that UI pack and used em in mine). Tooltip borders are a mod of the standard Blizzard tooltip. Buttom borders are modded with cyCircled using my own version of a border again swiped from TapestryUI. Other mod used are the SL series of mods (SLCore, SLClock, SLMoney, SLGuildList, etc), fonts are either from SharedMedia (the font itself is from Caith's UI) or modded using a Fonts folder override.
03-07-08, 09:07 AM   #11
Johncena
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Grid is the name of a mod, its a compact set of raid frames. As I am playing a rogue, I do not require a lot of raid detail thus the minimal raid frames. I have tweaked it so the frames are fairly small. I have to work within the constraints of a screen that maxes out at 1024x768 (its an old LCD)

Regarding errors: what kind of errors? Is WoW throwing an error or is it Windows? I normally unpack zip files with a program like 7Zip into a temporary folder (usually my Desktop), open the folder up to make sure I don't have "folder within a folder" syndrome and I also check for any "funny" files that can hide Trojans, keyloggers and other nasties. Your folder structure should look this:

\Interface\AddOns\
AddOn1
- AddOn.toc
- AddOn.lua
AddOn2
- AddOn.toc
- AddOn.lua

If it looks like this:

\Interface\AddOns\
AddOn1
- AddOn
-- AddOn.toc
-- AddOn.lua
AddOn2
-AddOn2
-- AddOn.toc
-- AddOn.lua

or like this:

\Interface\AddOns\
AddOn1sr135456
- AddOn1
-- AddOn.toc
-- AddOn.lua
AddO2nrew3243
-AddOn2
-- AddOn.toc
-- AddOn.lua

Then you got folder in folder syndrome. You will need to move the actual AddOn folder out of the "container" folder.

Regarding my setup, it involved a degree of tinkering and some code changes, custom textures (backgrounds/borders) and time. The chat box is modded by my personal mod of oChat (itself a mod of idChat). The Minimap is modded and moved by a mod called Chinchilla. The UnitFrames are a custom Pitbull layout. The portraits are produced by ZuxanaModelCitizen (known as ZMobDB Advanced on this site. Chat/portrait/actionbar backgrounds are panels created by eePanels2 with custom borders from TapestryUI (I just grabbed the files from that UI pack and used em in mine). Tooltip borders are a mod of the standard Blizzard tooltip. Buttom borders are modded with cyCircled using my own version of a border again swiped from TapestryUI. Other mod used are the SL series of mods (SLCore, SLClock, SLMoney, SLGuildList, etc), fonts are either from SharedMedia (the font itself is from Caith's UI) or modded using a Fonts folder override.

Well the erros were odd. When i tried to extract the files i got a report error message on all of the zip files. so i had to xtract them onto my desktop cut them into my addon's folder. then after dl the zipfiles i couldn't access my prgram files on my computer. Had to re-boot extract the files onto my desk top then they wouldn't load.

Yup i had Folder in Folder syndrome. So i tool them out of the main folder and then loaded them.

had a few quick questions.

When using Pitbull, How do i change anything with it ? I can see to find the button on my mini map to adjust every thing.

WIth bongo2 The bars i dont use how do i hide them ?

I didn't have much time to play with it last night got late real fast so i will take a screen shot when it's done.

I couldn't locate mikscorllingbattletxt. but other then that i got pretty much what you listed. cant wait to see what i come out with

THank you again for your help.

Im a bit paranoid about keyloger and trojans, but i got them from this site and ace

THank you again Xinh

Johnny
03-07-08, 10:07 AM   #12
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
If you have questions about installing addons in the future, see the FAQ on this site or this stickied thread: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...d.php?t=14762\

PitBull options: /pitbull
Bongos2 options: /bongos

MSBT: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...attleText.html
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-07-08, 10:30 AM   #13
Johncena
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
If you have questions about installing addons in the future, see the FAQ on this site or this stickied thread: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...d.php?t=14762\

PitBull options: /pitbull
Bongos2 options: /bongos

MSBT: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...attleText.html

Fantastic !

Thank you so much for the link for th battle text

Looks great and im going to spend time today @ work reading the sticky

thank you again

Johnny
03-07-08, 11:06 AM   #14
Slakah
A Molten Giant

If you want nice simple Unit Frames you could try Sage + Perfect Raid.
03-07-08, 11:43 AM   #15
Johncena
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I will take alook @ that if i cant acomplish anything with my current set of addons they are overwelling to say the least but a boys gotta learn so i got a night to try to make it pretty hahah

Im sure I wont let the thread die any time soon and it will be filled with stupid noob questions but hey gottat start on the ground before you fly

THank you though i will check it out for sure

Johnny

*Edit*

To say the least just reading up on Pitbull it intimidates the pants off me

Last edited by Johncena : 03-07-08 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Im a noob :/
03-07-08, 01:47 PM   #16
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Yah, Pitbull can be scary to the new user. I cut my teeth on Discord Unit Frames so at least I have a leg up. If you just want Unit Frames without doing a lot of messing around, then Sage, Xperl, Perl Classic, or ag_UnitFrames are they way to go. Just position and go.
03-07-08, 02:41 PM   #17
Johncena
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Okay i found out how to open Pitbull and WoW. Im not going to lie to your nor my self but im not honestly sure what it does. i have the feeling it is the Toon portrate but im no sure what else it does. maybe you can elaborate for me if not i can def do some more re-search .

Bongo's loving it .

I will give a list of what i took and what im taking off and what problems im having.

Unit Frames

- Pitbull - WoWAce

SCT mods

- MiksScrollingBattleText - WoWI*

Combo Displays
- NugComboBar - WoWI*

Cast bars/Enemy cast bars

- AzCastBar - WoWI*

Action Bar mods
- Bongos2 WoWI*

Cooldown counters
- OmniCC - WoWI*

HUDs
- DHUD2 (Drathul's HUD update) - WoWACe
- DaHUD - WoWI/WoWACe

So i pretty much took your interfase

But i have 2 self portrats, What im thinking it's the hud. is the second one that is vertical

So what im going to do is uninstall them all, re-install them again LoL and see whats what one add on @ a time does .

Im not really lost but just overwhelmed.

Thank you for your patience guys

Johnny

Okay one problem i seem to encounter is when i go stealth my bars dont chance to my self bars. How do i change this ?

I think i found the answer on this page i will check but if i dont find it a answer would be fantastic thanks guys

Last edited by Johncena : 03-07-08 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Im a noob
03-07-08, 04:24 PM   #18
Johncena
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Update i scrapped it all. Meh i feel like a failure not to mention I tried to use my first set up and failed. WIth a few items mostly the fact that when i went stealth my bongo's would not change my bar to my stealth attack bar. so i tried this ui from Curse gaming

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/11502/

Looked wicked but was so confused with what he had, that i cold not change anything in it and something was wrong with the chat for some odd reason.

So im going back to my orignal trash addons LoL and just play till i get the patience to go back to the ones i had im going to keep a few that worked.

But pitbull and fubar2 i just couldn't do anything to even change anything with them.

on that note time to kill horde and settle my self down

Thank you guys i will be back on trying to change these back out monday so

thank you for your time

Johnny
03-07-08, 06:32 PM   #19
Taznafein
A Kobold Labourer
May I suggest you give SeerahsSuitecase a try, You can find it here on this site.

Im a Rogue and it is the one I use, it has a great readme file that explains everything in the UI and you can turn off the addons you do not need.
03-08-08, 11:31 AM   #20
Falcon213
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I would also recommend Natur EnemyCastBar (also on this site). Besides showing castbars for enemies, it also shows their cooldowns and has timers for how long their abilities last (eg a pally's bubble or a mage's iceblock). It also has raiding timers (might need a boss mod for these to work.. I'm not a raider so I'm not sure). So it is useful for both of your characters, and highly customizable to boot.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Class Discussions » Rogue/mage addons and screen shots