05-11-07, 11:41 PM   #1
Keizo
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Updating mods within Mazzles?

Pardon my ignorance on this as I have spent the last 2 years playing another game where every time I log in the UI does an auto update of all its components and map features.

For MazzleUI we need to go out and update each option we have loaded correct?

If so is there an easy way of telling which ones need updating and when we should update them?

Thanks!!!

K~
05-12-07, 05:27 AM   #2
Dr_Drache
A Murloc Raider
the short anwsers is no.
then long anwser is YES.
read the FAQ there is a list there. but updating them breaks other things.
there are some people who have claimed to have been updating nearly all, but only ever tell you to find out for yourself. this is my current issue, not just with mazzle, but other complations and alot of software in general. it's too interngrated. not modular enough.
there really doesn't seem to be enough cross depenancys that should cause soo many problems. you update one compoent, that causes 4 completly unlrelated components to break, i'm personally working on figureing it out. but no experence in this.
05-12-07, 12:38 PM   #3
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The problem isn't that things aren't modular enough. There are very good reasons that the add-ons are structured in the way they are.

The problem is that people aren't updating add-ons correctly. They're updating or adding individual add-ons that have new version of libraries that other add-ons use. To safely avoid conflicts, people need to update all the stand-alone libraries and anything that uses them. That can be confusing for most users since (a) they don't know what add-ons to update and (b) add-ons can be distributed with embedded libraries. I think that's the main reason that people keep telling others not to add or upgrade anything.

I personally routinely update nearly every add-on in the package. If you update everything and remove embedded libraries that are also on the top level, you can update just fine.
05-12-07, 03:57 PM   #4
Keizo
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thanks guys!

For someone like me who is a bit challenged when it comes to tweeking things like this.... how would I remove the embedded libraries? And what add-ons should I leave alone?

I have a fear of deleting or removing things as it usually means I end up breaking the program in the process.

k~
05-12-07, 06:27 PM   #5
levend
A Murloc Raider
im am using auto updater in wowace.com and it works just fine for me.
05-13-07, 08:29 PM   #6
Ringleron
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
WoWAceUpdater

levend,

Do you mean the WowAceUpdater?

I, too, would like to update the mods that comes with MazzleUI (except the ones that Mazzle says not to update like Bongos).
05-13-07, 08:42 PM   #7
Older
An Aku'mai Servant
Did you instal the standalone libs package too when using the WoWace updater?
05-14-07, 01:04 AM   #8
levend
A Murloc Raider
WowAceUpdater is the one i meant.
i put a mark next to everything and just download
btw, i updated bongos too, but i set it up by myself from the beginning so it works fine too.
05-14-07, 11:39 AM   #9
Rollak
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz
I personally routinely update nearly every add-on in the package. If you update everything and remove embedded libraries that are also on the top level, you can update just fine.
Would it be possible for you to zip your entire AddOns folder and post it as 1.1.5 or something?

I love the UI you have created, but it would be nice if the compilation was maintained in an updated fashion. You say you have all of your addons up to date. Is it really too much to ask that you push those updates to your Fan-Base? Even if the Mazzle stuff isn't changed, but at least we know if we have to download from scratch, the addons are the latest and greatest offering by the author.

Just a thought.
05-14-07, 03:27 PM   #10
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Rollak
Would it be possible for you to zip your entire AddOns folder and post it as 1.1.5 or something?

I love the UI you have created, but it would be nice if the compilation was maintained in an updated fashion. You say you have all of your addons up to date. Is it really too much to ask that you push those updates to your Fan-Base? Even if the Mazzle stuff isn't changed, but at least we know if we have to download from scratch, the addons are the latest and greatest offering by the author.

Just a thought.
While it may seem like an easy thing, there are two problems. First I've made changes to the add-ons in the package; to date, I have mode some but not all the changes needed to handle them. Second, I don't want to release a new version without testing that the Mazzifier and the overrides work fine with the newer versions of settings. I have not yet done that.

Unfortunately, the broader and more general scope of this project means that I can't just quickly throw together an updated package of add-ons like normal compilations can do.
05-17-07, 11:07 PM   #11
Lyc
A Fallenroot Satyr
From what I've updated everything seems to work fine. I don't ask for a HUGE MazzleUI update, epsecially since waiting for the 2.0 version to be released was well worth it, I would just like some small updates maybe for the problems that alot of people seem to be having. But like I said, Mazzle-goodness comes to those who wait, and I will wait.
05-18-07, 03:24 PM   #12
Keizo
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I took a chance and used one of the autoupdaters someone mentioned above..... everything works like a charm. Only thing I had to do was copy over the new version of cartographer. Other than that things have been super smooth!

Mazzle you have a great product here. Even with the difficulties people have everyone should realize this was a program that had a ton of personal time sunk into it and still are by staying active on these boards...... that in my opinion is very cool!

And to top it off you offered it to us absolutely free. /boggle /salute
05-19-07, 07:56 AM   #13
griffin224
Premium Member

Cool

The ONLY mod I have had trouble with updating is cyCircled, but.. to be honest, even the one in the package was buggy, so I think that is more the add-on and less the package. I have since removed Cy, and i get maybe 3 or 4 errors every day or so. Ironically.. bugsack errors mostly. Keep up the awesome work Mazz!!!!!!!!!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Updating mods within Mazzles?