06-23-11, 11:45 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Reminders before 4.2 goes live

Just a few notes for everyone since all the signs are pointing to 4.2 going live next week (barring any major bugs showing up that delays its release):
  • We've reset our Survival Guide, so we can flag them compliant again as they get updated. If you see any of them that have been updated that we haven't marked as such already, please feel free to email us at [email protected] with the link to where it has been updated.
  • As well, you can always see the most recent uploads and updates on WoWInterface here.
And a couple notes specifically for authors:
  • Remember that COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED has changed. Details are in this thread.
  • We have reset the 'works with' flag on the site, so if/when your addon is 4.2 compatible, you can go ahead and tag it as such.

Last edited by Cairenn : 06-24-11 at 12:55 PM.
06-24-11, 12:17 AM   #2
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Remember that COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTER has changed. Details are in this thread.
Angry Users: There must be another way of doing code changes!
Addon Author: That's right! Every time they make a WoW patch, they burn our addons down!
06-24-11, 04:59 AM   #3
Gautr
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Nibelheim View Post
Addon Author: That's right! Every time they make a WoW patch, they burn our addons down!
That is what makes it fun right?
06-24-11, 12:57 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Hey, as long as changes are for the better and/or make sense (which I've never come across an API change that did not meet those criteria - not that I can remember, anyway), I don't care.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-24-11, 01:00 PM   #5
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Having a "find in files" text editor one could search for "COMBAT_LOG_EVENT" (case sensitive) and find all the addons that use these events, hence know what to update and what won't be affected by the combat log change.
06-24-11, 07:03 PM   #6
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

lawlfourpointone
06-25-11, 10:21 AM   #7
qod
A Murloc Raider
string.replace is gone

COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED is not the only change that will affect addons when 4.2 goes live. I author an addon that used string.replace to remove unneeded spaces from a string, only to find that Blizzard decided to remove string.replace for some strange reason.
06-25-11, 03:29 PM   #8
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post

lawlfourpointone
It's fixededed now.

Originally Posted by qod View Post
COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED is not the only change that will affect addons when 4.2 goes live. I author an addon that used string.replace to remove unneeded spaces from a string, only to find that Blizzard decided to remove string.replace for some strange reason.
Nod, I know CLEU isn't the only change, it's just a major one that will impact a large number of addons.
06-26-11, 12:35 PM   #9
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Hmm, does this mean that since string.replace is gone then using ("text"):replace(...) or strreplace(...) also not work? :S
06-26-11, 02:44 PM   #10
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
Hmm, does this mean that since string.replace is gone then using ("text"):replace(...) or strreplace(...) also not work? :S
I just checked myself, and strreplace() / ("text"):replace() also got removed

About the FrameXML, here are the strreplace diffs..
06-26-11, 03:33 PM   #11
Saiket
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

string.replace had some issues.
06-26-11, 03:56 PM   #12
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

I had no idea that even existed, I've always used gsub.
06-26-11, 04:23 PM   #13
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by qod View Post
offtopic, but why didn't you just use strtrim / string.trim if you just wanted to remove "unneeded spaces"?
06-26-11, 04:32 PM   #14
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Originally Posted by Ketho View Post
offtopic, but why didn't you just use strtrim / string.trim if you just wanted to remove "unneeded spaces"?
Trim only removes trailing and leading spaces. Replace was useful for converting "Buff Bar 1" to "BuffBar1".
06-27-11, 12:24 AM   #15
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Simply converting all string.replace/strreplace/:replace into "gsub" won't do as you got to escape certain characters. Yet it appears that Blizzard just did a mass "find and replace" on the few lines I read but maybe not, in any case addon authors gotta watch this and get familiar with how gsub and patterns work with lua for 4.2 I figure.

Strange isn't it, removing string.replace? I wonder why...
06-27-11, 08:12 AM   #16
arith
A Cyclonian

So is it confirmed the 4.2 will be on live server on June 28th?
06-27-11, 10:37 AM   #17
Verttex
Super Monkey

Originally Posted by arith View Post
So is it confirmed the 4.2 will be on live server on June 28th?
It has not been confirmed by Blizzard but we expect it to arrive then.
06-27-11, 11:43 AM   #18
qod
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Ketho View Post
Originally Posted by Nibelheim View Post
Trim only removes trailing and leading spaces. Replace was useful for converting "Buff Bar 1" to "BuffBar1".
It was to only remove spaces in certain situations. Just the spaces before and after a dash, as in "Playername - Server Name" to "Playername-Server Name" because "Playername-ServerName" wouldn't work for me. I was using strreplace(stringname, " - ", "-") and now use string.gsub(stringname, "%s%-%s", "-") and get the same results.

I never came across the bug because my strings were never very long, as they were just a list of tanks that are currently in my party.
06-27-11, 12:54 PM   #19
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Hmm, darn windows search isn't finding a single COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED in the addons folder. That simply cannot be right. I knew there was a reason I stopped using that search system.

Edit:
Ah, programmers notepad to the rescue, haha. But thankfully the only ones of my own addons that use it are about 4 years old and I'm sure they're no longer used by now unless they have miraculously been working all these years with no problems.

Last edited by Xrystal : 06-27-11 at 12:57 PM.
06-27-11, 02:10 PM   #20
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
There's a specific thing you need to do to make it search in Lua and XML files. Unfortunately, I forgot it as soon as I did it.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Reminders before 4.2 goes live