02-09-11, 02:21 PM   #1
Styleen
A Murloc Raider
Archaeology

I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet or not, but I was wondering if there were any plans to add stuff to Carbonite for archaeology. The Blizzard UI outlines the dig spots in a red circle. I don't see that on the Carbonite map and I think it would be useful. Also, the shovels only appear if I scroll way out on the map. It would be handy if those appeared on the main map (what I see in the minimap box on my screen) so I can see where the dig sites are.

I've found a couple sites where I can't find the dig spot because I'm not on the exact point of the shovel.

I really enjoy the addon, otherwise, and this is just a mild irritant, but I figured I'd ask about it.

Sorry if it's been asked, or if this is included in the addon and I just haven't found it yet.

02-14-11, 01:53 PM   #2
cainnibl
A Defias Bandit
Try rightclicking on the map window and go to "Show..." and check the box for Archeology. This will show all the known locations for Arch nodes as if they were herbs/ore. (you may want to uncheck herbs and ore while your doing arch to avoid clutter). That should do the same as the blizz red circle outline and I find it gets you to the piece faster. I'll often get a red survey light and pick up the piece on my next survey.

I've also noticed you need to get the map zoom just right to see the shovel and know where you're flying to. It would be handy if the map displaied the shovel at a wider range of zoom levels.

02-17-11, 10:46 PM   #3
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Problem is for some of us its just another undecipherable blob on the map. It would be nice if it could just show it is as circle/ball of one color.

02-24-11, 10:21 PM   #4
Crystallyne
A Fallenroot Satyr
I agree I would prefer to see the circle of red. However I didn't think about looking for Show...Artifact Locations! Thank you for the tip! That will certainly help at least!

02-24-11, 10:45 PM   #5
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I use Mapster @ WoWI, Mapster @ Curse.com, as an addon for the Blizzard maps. I have the Blizz and Carbonite maps merged and because of Mapster, the dig site boundaries show up on the minimized map when I get near them. They won't show on the Maximized map because I have the Blizz map hide when the Carb map maximizes.

Anyway, it works for me.

In flight: Working the dig site:

Oh, and I guess I should mention that I also use Archy bugfix for my archaeology.

Last edited by jeffy162 : 02-25-11 at 07:13 PM.

02-28-11, 04:35 AM   #6
Palladia
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

How do you get Mapster to modify the minimap? I thought it just replaced the world map.

02-28-11, 10:12 AM   #7
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Palladia View Post
How do you get Mapster to modify the minimap? I thought it just replaced the world map.
No, it does some of the same changes to the Blizzard maps that Cartographer used to do. When I look at the Blizzard maps, I like them to do certain things, and Mapster has filled the void (for me) that Cartographer left. Cartographer didn't replace the Blizzard maps either. It just modified them and added some more functionality to them.

I don't use the default Blizzard maps for much, but I do occasionally look at them.

02-28-11, 09:47 PM   #8
Palladia
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Your screenshots show Mapster modifying the minimap by putting the red arch blob in it. Is there a way to set that up, or does it do that by default?

03-01-11, 12:13 AM   #9
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Palladia View Post
Your screenshots show Mapster modifying the minimap by putting the red arch blob in it. Is there a way to set that up, or does it do that by default?
Well, I use the Mapster addon yes, but as I posted earlier, I also use Archy bugfix for my archaeology addon and I think that (in combination with Mapster) is what shows the dig site boundaries. I never changed any options in Mapster when I started the archaeology profession. However there is an option in Archy to show the dig site boundaries (at least that's how I think it's worded) and that's why I think it's the combination of the two. For all I know, all you might need is Archy or some similar archaeology addon that will show the dig site boundaries on the map. I've never disabled Mapster to see if it's not needed for that function. All I know is that it works for me.

By-the-way, what you are seeing in those screen shots is actually the Carbonite minimized map. I do have the maps merged, though, and what you are seeing is actually on the Blizzard minimap, and the layer for the dig site boundaries is apparently high enough that it is visible when the minimap is hidden in Carbonites map. Similar to the way the blinking active node markers are.

Last edited by jeffy162 : 03-01-11 at 12:22 AM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Archaeology