02-08-12, 10:26 AM   #1
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
addon communication

So ive never dinked with how an addon talks with another persons addon but ive seen it done before. The wiki on it is minimal to say the least. What im wanting to do is add some code that basically tells people who else is using the addon. I know ctraid used to have something like this that would inform people about other peoples versions being out of date. Ive also noticed some addons somehow make a check to somewhere out of the game for version updates. How does that work? I would imagine somehow they make a check to a website somewhere? I did not know this was even possible?

SendAddOnMessage was easy enough to send a msg with but how does one go about listening for msgs of that type?

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
02-08-12, 10:38 AM   #2
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
AddOns cant communicate with things outside of the game.

If an AddOn tells you there is a new version available it knows this by communicating with a guild or partymember most likely.

I recommend to take a look at AceComm Even if you dont use it ... the documentation of the Ace-Libs is a good place to learn such things
02-08-12, 10:52 AM   #3
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

Is that how DBM gets its version update notification is via the party/raid/guild?

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
02-08-12, 11:05 AM   #4
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Yes, the worst example of intrusive information nobody needs to know
You'll notice that it pops up the moment you try to write hi to a new member in your group just to remind you ... there is only ONE active editbox and its no longer YOURS
02-08-12, 01:24 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Are you working on this for your UI, Grimsin? If so, think about if your users *really* need to know if other people are using your UI or if they *require* the absolute most up-to-date version of your UI. Unless you are working on a new addon or a feature which absolutely answers "yes" to one of the above two questions, adding in addon comm would just be unneeded bloat, imho.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-08-12, 03:45 PM   #6
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

Well, Actually i was thinking more for personal use as far as having it tell me who else is using it. But really where i was thinking it could come in handy later is adding the ability for someone to push their setup configuration to another player. Like gosh imagine if any of the button bar addons did that??? Im not planing on adding anything of the sort to GrimUI anytime soon at least not for public use. Im just poking about

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » addon communication