04-12-09, 11:38 PM   #1
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Am I a terrible person?

In the past 4+ish months, I find it hard to find a replacement for WoW. I was banned from yet another website. Runes of magic was going to be my holdover game until Star Wars: The Old Republic goes live. I was working on a unit frame / bar mod combo addon that was for a friend of mine who is a clicker (yeah, I know). I haven't played the game since April 9th and haven't logged into the forums since April 3rd, but when I go to the forums today and try to check out a file attachment someone has linked there, I get a ban notice.

"You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

Now, granted, it is a free to download, free to play game, so i didn't really lose anything except my time, but it seems rather strange to not give a reason for banning... permanently. I just wonder why, and if I'm having a streak of bad mojo in regards to finding a replacement for WoW (also found out I'm banned from SWG and EQ, never email SOE reps asking if their sister is hot and if her address is available). As I recall, I never posted anything at all on RoM forums, and I had no problems in game or anything... just blows my mind.

So, as much as I dislike Blizzard, at least they've always given me a reason when I was forum banned, and 9 out of 10 times (figurative number) it was fair to say I probably deserved it.

My point? Should I forget about my 'principles' and go back to Blizzard until I can find a more legitimate game that I enjoy to replace it? I have a couple friends that say I need to stop nerd raging on discussion boards, but when I go looking through my posts, all I see are posts of me attempting to help people (occasional sarcasm and off topic, but really, it IS wow forums, you know "STFU NOOB, L2P" are common and I'm no where near that in my posts). I don't know, maybe they're right, I do seem to get banned a lot.

I don't know what I expect to accomplish with this post, I know it's a bit of a rambling on about useless crap. Maybe I need a shrink instead of an mmo . I guess I'm just curious if I'd be much of a hypocrite for picking wow back up, damned addictive, mmo's are.

PS.. Please don't ban me for this, delete it if you must, but I'm just not sure I would handle being banned again very well.
04-12-09, 11:42 PM   #2
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Its possible your IP was/is in a range of a spammer. If you contact them maybe ask if you were accidentally banned and include your ip address.

Unless you know you said something on their forums that would get you banned...
04-12-09, 11:56 PM   #3
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
As if. Sheesh.
04-12-09, 11:57 PM   #4
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Its possible your IP was/is in a range of a spammer. If you contact them maybe ask if you were accidentally banned and include your ip address.

Unless you know you said something on their forums that would get you banned...
I can't contact them, the "contact link" on their forums brings up the message
"You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never".

I have another IP I could use, but that would likely get a friend banned as well. Maybe it's just a 'sign' that I should grow up, but in my mid 30's, gaming still makes me feel like a kid... I don't think that's really a bad thing.

If I posted anything in the least bit out of the way, I'm 100% sure I'd remember doing it on a new site, for a new game that I had no problems with. I'll search a bit more and see if I can find a better contact email, probably is just a technical issue such as your example.
04-13-09, 12:20 AM   #5
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you really want to see a shrink, I'm fairly certain I can find the one or two engineers left in WoW to shrink you.... http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=12899 :P

On a more serious note, you probably had the misfortune to be on the wrong IP at the wrong time, nothing I can say negative to you from the post's Ive read here by you
04-13-09, 01:57 AM   #6
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Nothing wrong about being passionate about subjects you feel strongly about. You freely admit that you likely deserved to be banned the times you were so dont think that makes you a bad person at all. If you went on a rant trying to place blame elsewhere then you would be =)

You post here quite often and as you stated are generally helpful with a bit of sarcasm tossed in. Ive never personally had an issue with anything you have posted and dont see you as a bad person from my point of view if that helps.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
04-13-09, 02:15 AM   #7
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
04-13-09, 03:18 AM   #8
Pester
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
I can't contact them, the "contact link" on their f

IMaybe it's just a 'sign' that I should grow up, but in my mid 30's, gaming still makes me feel like a kid... I don't think that's really a bad thing.
I am 41 years old, married with kids... I still play WoW... you are never to old to game.. age does bring a more even keel at times to my temper.. but stop playing?.. probably not for a good while
04-13-09, 06:28 AM   #9
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Pester View Post
I am 41 years old, married with kids... I still play WoW... you are never to old to game.. age does bring a more even keel at times to my temper.. but stop playing?.. probably not for a good while
I used to raid with a guy that was 71
04-13-09, 06:29 AM   #10
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Notice Cairenn's responses here, everyone's dead serious and here she comes with "As if. Sheesh. " and "", it made me roll on the floor laughing, literally!

Well, "dead serious" might have been a bit of an overkill, but you get my point.
04-13-09, 08:12 AM   #11
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post

Yeah, real innocent.

ic wut u did thar.
04-13-09, 08:45 AM   #12
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
/snort
/giggle
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-13-09, 10:19 AM   #13
Farm Fresh
A Fallenroot Satyr

I don't know your situation that well, but if you aren't completely addicted to the game, why would you not want to play it again just because you don't like the company?
04-13-09, 01:58 PM   #14
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
Yeah, real innocent.

ic wut u did thar.
04-13-09, 03:35 PM   #15
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

You banned him didn't you?
04-13-09, 03:43 PM   #16
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
no, she didn't
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-13-09, 03:45 PM   #17
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
no, she didn't
:O
Then what did she do? I wanna knooow! *shouts with a kids voice*
04-13-09, 03:48 PM   #18
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
If you look, you'll see it.

04-13-09, 03:52 PM   #19
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
On a totally unrelated note, what do I have to do, to get access to Cairenn's smileys ?
04-13-09, 04:22 PM   #20
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Farm Fresh View Post
I don't know your situation that well, but if you aren't completely addicted to the game, why would you not want to play it again just because you don't like the company?
I'm not 100% sure I understand your question, but I'll answer with a "yes" anyway. I have a 50/50 shot at being right.
________
Btw, I wasn't banned again (from here). I also haven't been in my profile settings since this thread was created.

I'm just glad I came through this without having a smurf avatar.

*Also, as an update. I found a contact email and asked what happened and gave a shorter version of the OP. I received an email back telling me to change my password and continue playing. Very impersonal and non explanatory. Also attached was a super secret touch on the knee, followed by instructions to not tell anyone (don't copy paste the email publicly). Now, for a guy like me, that's just an invitation to do what they asked me not to, unless it's a beta. Maybe I've grown though, 'cause I'm gonna leave it alone.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Am I a terrible person?