08-27-09, 04:00 AM   #1
Nicolin
An Aku'mai Servant

eepanels borders ?

hi im trying really hard to make some of my own art for eepanels and my ui am playing aloth with gimp

my latest idea was to make a custom border for lining up my frames/panels but i cant seme to find a way to do it so it looks as it should so now im hoping some eepanels exspert can help me out

also i have seen people say kgpanels is the new but ill stick with one untill i know it in and out for now

a few of my ui's i have played with

i know this is probably not the place to show them off and the last is inspired by Ailena's ui

some art is borrowed and other is my own any comments are welcome as i do love inspiration

but back to topic how do i get a frame araund my panels like in the last one and customise them to be as i want in skin ?

pre thanks Nicolin

09-02-09, 12:30 AM   #2
Nicolin
An Aku'mai Servant

bump ? anyone or maybe someone could explain kgpanels to me ?

09-02-09, 12:44 AM   #3
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
kgpanels is not all that different from eepanels. The primary difference is that you have a separate art section. Much like in a particular panel in eepanels you tell kgpanels where your art is located. Both backgrounds and borders.

Once this is done you can easily add that art to any particular panel without having to re-type or copy/paste the location of the file in each panel. you simply select your art from a drop down menu in the textures section of a panel. Makes trying out different pieces very fast and easy.

Another difference is an overall profile is not necessarily attached to a particular panel layout.

Example:
In eepanels you create your panels and set them up under a profile. When you change that profile to something new its a clean slate. You can copy from an existing but thats about it.

In kgpanels you create profiles in a similar manner but each setup you make is its own layout. The advantage of this is that you can create numerous layouts but only have one profile.

So lets say in eepanels you make a profile called tanking. Set up your panels and decide you want a different layout for dps. So you make a new profile and call it dps. repeat as above.

In kgpanels you make the same layouts but they are not attached to any particular profile. You can make them all under default. the benfit (in my eyes anyway) is if you accidentally delete or copy over a profile you dont lose the layout.

Those are the 2 main difference that come to mind. Setting up the panels themselves is very similar so it shouldnt take you long to do. kg even has an option to attempt to import your eepanels layouts if you have a bunch already made up.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

Last edited by MidgetMage55 : 09-02-09 at 12:49 AM. Reason: additional stuff and goodness
09-02-09, 12:58 AM   #4
Nicolin
An Aku'mai Servant

Thanks ill concider this then but how about borders ?

09-02-09, 02:10 AM   #5
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Would help to have a more specific idea of what your after. Border textures are pretty straight forward to make. That will depend however on what exactly your after and how complex it is.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
09-02-09, 02:15 AM   #6
Nicolin
An Aku'mai Servant

well i tried to make one but ended up having loads of small spikes araund my frames instead of a basic one like the one on the last picture ofc i can go and play with gk panels and see if i can learn it there in an easier way

but my idea is somthing like this

http://www.************/PrintableBorders

and then my background texture in the middle am not sure how to exsplain it further atm due to my main language not being english

but id like to make my own border to just chose like the blizzard dialog one i am currently using.

09-02-09, 02:32 AM   #7
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

The thing with borders is they aren't built like you expect.

They are basically 8 small pieces arranged in a line which the game then interprets as the border. 4 corner pieces and 4 edge pieces.

An easy way to see a border template is to take a border texture and load it in to an image viewer or editor.

One thing you can do for your idea is layer panels. Much like a photo in a frame with a glass front. basically make your "border" texture as a background (best to know the size you'll be using for the panel in advance to prevent image distortion) then layer a second panel over it for your actual background. This is what i would think would work best for a detailed border like the bats. For lines and gradients (like the standard blizzard borders) the standard border template will do nicely.

09-02-09, 02:35 AM   #8
Nicolin
An Aku'mai Servant

thanks ill see what i can figure out from your information

maybe ill figure out its best not to make any

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » eepanels borders ?