06-04-10, 08:13 AM   #1
Tim
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
CastSpellByName

It totally didn't dawn on me until after I finally created the little mod that Blizzard killed mods using that function so that things had to be more active on the users end.

Basically what it comes down to is... Are there any alternatives out there? Perhaps having your mod run a macro you have in game or have I just wasted my time making the mod? ;P

For those that are wanting to know what mod I made it was something for my shaman. Always tired of getting click happy with heroism and clicking it before the exhaustion debuff wears off thus it doing nothing and still going on cooldown so the mod was there to prevent that. Well, it also had options for random sayings when casting as well.
06-04-10, 08:23 AM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
It may be possible using secured frames that change the alpha level of the button to reflect the best time to push it. I believe you can't show/hide a button during combat but perhaps alpha level changes are possible. However, you will still have to look out for the change to press the button as you need a hardware action to carry it out.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
06-04-10, 08:56 AM   #3
Waverian
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
You don't need to use any secure code to change a button's alpha in combat, you can do it normally. That's all you can do though. There's intentionally no workaround for this - the UI can't cast conditionally based on the presence or absence of an aura.
06-04-10, 09:01 AM   #4
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Thanks for that insight Waverian. I was thinking several steps ahead. A secure button to handle the spell casting when you click on it and the alpha level changing via events. As far as I know if you want to create a new button to cast a spell it has to be secure. But I could be wrong

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
06-04-10, 12:36 PM   #5
Akryn
A Firelord
I don't have a shaman but can't you just do something like:
Code:
/castsequence reset=howeverLongTheCooldownIs heroism,nothing,nothing,nothing,nothing,nothing,nothing,nothing,nothing,nothing,nothing
06-04-10, 12:51 PM   #6
Sojik
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Can you put a frame over the button that accepts mouse clicks and prevents you from clicking heroism/bloodlust? I don't see why not. Then just modify your addon to show and hide that depending on your exhaustion debuff. Maybe make the frame tinted red or have an "X" on it to show that you shouldn't try to click.
06-04-10, 01:01 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Akryn View Post
I don't have a shaman but can't you just do something like:
Code:
/castsequence reset=howeverLongTheCooldownIs heroism,nothing,nothing,nothing,nothing,nothing,nothing,nothing,nothing,nothing,nothing
reset is an idle timer, counting from the last click.

Originally Posted by Sojik View Post
Can you put a frame over the button that accepts mouse clicks and prevents you from clicking heroism/bloodlust? I don't see why not. Then just modify your addon to show and hide that depending on your exhaustion debuff. Maybe make the frame tinted red or have an "X" on it to show that you shouldn't try to click.
And you still can't hide/show frames in combat.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-04-10, 04:50 PM   #8
orionshock
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
And you still can't hide/show frames in combat.
Well technically.. you cannot hide/show or move Secure Frames in combat..

But if you can mange a dead frame over the real button with out anchoring it to the secure button, you should be able to move it around in combat

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » CastSpellByName