07-19-11, 01:53 AM   #1
Mike-N-Go
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Site Feature Suggestion: WoWInterface Wiki

WoWInterface.com can benefit from a Wiki.

The main purpose is not to replicate wowwiki.com, but to offer a dedicated, official place for a WoW AddOn Wiki.

I recommend that there be an approval process for the Wiki, and one consideration that pages directly related to a specific AddOn be restricted to approval by the author, or site staff, or whatever the author choses.

One issue is ownership of the text: It should be exclusively owned jointly by WoWInterface and the owner of said AddOn, so an author can directly use the wiki article in his addon or description, without fuss.

A Wiki would be a complement to the site: Some authors do not describe fully in their description; The WoWInterface forums can only go so far, for the forums are more tailored for conversations, not a collaborated document; A quick link from the AddOn's tab, so the page can be brought up quickly.

Most of all, not all authors are good english writers. Were the community help augment some of our weaknesses, we can spend more time coding; more time writing new addons.

What is your opinions (Staff and Members) of an official WoWInterface Wiki?

Author of Daily Bean Counter, MyNameTogglesWhenIAFKorDND, Extended Shutdown Warning, Auto Mail Director, Duel Nullify, Spec Transmiter, Say Again, Window Teller, Who Crafts, Ad Repeater, Privy Cork, Mac Backup, and more.
07-19-11, 02:09 AM   #2
Vlad
A Molten Giant

It's hard to keep such API documentations complete when there are so many.

Currently I use these sites;
wowprogramming
wowpedia
wowwiki

The first is well explained but things that are missing are usually found on wowpedia (the new "wowwiki") or the old wowwiki site that some people keep updating.

Point being if we make another wiki for the API we'd simply add it on the bottom of this list and coders would have to visit 4 sites to check if the API in question has any documentation or not.

I'd suggest partnership of some sort with wowprogramming and keep that updated, it's good and efficient imo.
07-19-11, 02:26 AM   #3
Mike-N-Go
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
It's hard to keep such API documentations complete when there are so many.

Currently I use these sites;
wowprogramming
wowpedia
wowwiki

Point being if we make another wiki for the API we'd simply add it on the bottom of this list and coders would have to visit 4 sites to check if the API in question has any documentation or not.
I think you may have missed one of my points.

I will restate:

Code:
One issue is ownership of the text: It should be exclusively owned jointly by WoWInterface and the owner of said AddOn, so an author can directly use the wiki article in his addon or description, without fuss.
The problem is that not everyone with a WoWInterface account is on those sites; the benefit of having a Wiki on WoWInterface would be that the users of the addon would have a simple method to help the author. Not replace the other resources.

Heck, some sort of partnership would be splendid. My main goal would be to give the community access to augment a developer's responsibilities; make our lives easier (hopefully).

And one other thing, have it an 'opt in' thing. And if the dev has not opted in, have the page be a stub along the lines of "This page has not been enabled by the author. Please click here to show your request of this page to the author of XAwsomsauceAddOn."

Author of Daily Bean Counter, MyNameTogglesWhenIAFKorDND, Extended Shutdown Warning, Auto Mail Director, Duel Nullify, Spec Transmiter, Say Again, Window Teller, Who Crafts, Ad Repeater, Privy Cork, Mac Backup, and more.
07-19-11, 02:46 AM   #4
Mike-N-Go
A Theradrim Guardian

Short of a branded/official wiki, what do you (Staff) think about the idea of a universal login? For WoWInterface.com or a partner's wiki? So a user can use the same login for both?

Last edited by Mike-N-Go : 07-19-11 at 02:47 AM. Reason: forgot 'wiki' noun
07-19-11, 08:45 AM   #5
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Most of our other sites have a wiki, we don't here because there are a ton of wiki's already popular. It would be bad for the UI community to spread this information even thinner.
07-19-11, 12:09 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
To add to this, though... Many authors do not take (full) advantage of their Portals. You can add pages to the portal for documentation of API or other things. There's even a form to build FAQs on the Portal!
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-19-11, 12:19 PM   #7
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Here is one idea, having access to PTR we can make a diff and find out what events/widget/API are removed or the arguments changed, hence right before patch one could run a php script on the server to scan all the addons currently flagged as "updated" and flag them as "outdated" if they use events/widgets/API that are touched by the new patch.

Doable but requires a lot of processing and coding time, I fear. :P
07-19-11, 01:55 PM   #8
Mike-N-Go
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
To add to this, though... Many authors do not take (full) advantage of their Portals. You can add pages to the portal for documentation of API or other things. There's even a form to build FAQs on the Portal!
I would enjoy to make better use of the portal. Do you have a link to an FAQ on how to use the portal?

Can I upload custom scripts or webpage applications into my portal area, so I could self manage something like a wiki? Or is that currently not doable?

07-19-11, 02:28 PM   #9
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
The portal is fairly self explanatory. It has a feature/bug tracking system, FAQ building system, custom pages and news.

No you can not use custom scripts or apps. We don't allow that for security reasons especially since we are hosting addons and we are a target.
07-19-11, 07:56 PM   #10
Mike-N-Go
A Theradrim Guardian

Do you currently offer a 'vanity' sub-domain, that can forward to the portal?

Like, http://Mike-N-Go.WoWInterface.com?

07-19-11, 08:02 PM   #11
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Yes, Clicking it brings me to your portal...
07-20-11, 07:28 PM   #12
Mike-N-Go
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Yes, Clicking it brings me to your portal...
Ahh.

New news to me.

I typically use my iPad, so testing things can be haphazard.

07-27-11, 09:06 AM   #13
Mike-N-Go
A Theradrim Guardian

Micro-wiki

I guess I did not clearly communicate my intent: not for a wiki about API for developers, but a WoWI wiki could be a 'micro wiki' that authors can opt-in on a per-AddOn basis, the micro-wiki could show up under the tabs on he AddOn, and the author could have the option of adding "team members" who want to help, but are not coders: it would be a different set of permissions, sabdboxing this user from uploading an official update or modifying the main description.

This would be good, for the community to pitch in and help AddOn authors who want to get back to coding, not hone English and grammar.

If the wiki was "micro", what do you think about this feature request?

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Site Feature Suggestion: WoWInterface Wiki