They removed all of mine aswell.
08-19-12, 07:29 AM   #102
Kagaro
A Cyclonian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
They still avent taken down mine yet, here is the funny part

http://worldofaddons.com/wow/gathermate2

Look at the latest release line.

I guess ill have to get work lawyers involved.
08-19-12, 07:56 AM   #103
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Kagaro View Post

They've removed the download button though. Look at the DBM page. Button is on that first page above the vote stars. That's how I checked nUI status. It's still hosted but you can't download. Even with a free account there. I tested that part as well.
08-19-12, 09:11 AM   #104
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I've just got a short and almost normal response from them (if you can consider anything of this normal):

Hello,

Please provide the names of the addons, so I can solve this issue.

All the best,

John Hoskin
Creative Director
TenTonHammer.com
08-19-12, 11:41 AM   #105
Mike-N-Go
A Theradrim Guardian

It looks like we will have to legally twist their arm, for World of Addons is in the wrong. Is that what World of Addons wants? To be sued?

Kagaro, might you be taking up a collection to fund the suit? How much do one of these things cost, anyways?

Author of Daily Bean Counter, MyNameTogglesWhenIAFKorDND, Extended Shutdown Warning, Auto Mail Director, Duel Nullify, Spec Transmiter, Say Again, Window Teller, Who Crafts, Ad Repeater, Privy Cork, Mac Backup, and more.
08-19-12, 11:54 AM   #106
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Mike-N-Go View Post
Kagaro, might you be taking up a collection to fund the suit? How much do one of these things cost, anyways?
While not much, I'm willing to dump all I have in my paypal account into this collection. It's only about $0.68, but it's all I have. I'm feeling generous around this anniversary.
08-19-12, 06:40 PM   #107
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
They've removed the download button though. ... It's still hosted but you can't download.
Your addon descriptions are copyrighted just the same as the files. If they want to promote your addon without infringing on your copyright, they need to describe it in their own words, or only quote a small enough portion of your description to qualify as fair use, or get permission to use your description. Though, since it's obvious that they are just blindly scraping text (including text that says "all rights reserved") and files from other sites, not linking to the original sources, and doing so for profit (evidenced by the huge ads on every page), they probably can't claim fair use.
08-19-12, 07:14 PM   #108
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
I had a look at nUI lites copyright note that Scott wrote and it seems they may be allowed to host it. But at least they have turned off download option and kept the main document with all the links set up until Scott gets in contact.
08-19-12, 10:15 PM   #109
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
I had a look at nUI lites copyright note that Scott wrote and it seems they may be allowed to host it.
Wow, that is the most verbose license I have ever read in my life....

For the individual "end user" who is defined as a natural person who has legally obtained a copy of this distribution, who holds and maintains a valid and active player account with Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. for the purpose of playing World of Warcraft, and has installed this distribution on a PC as a functioning add-on to World of Warcraft for personal use, or for the purpose of allowing such use by bonafied end users directly on the computer on which the distribution is installed, permission is hereby granted ...
I think "end user" would have probably been sufficient there, lol. And as it's written, anyone who lets their WoW subscription lapse but doesn't immediately delete nUI is violating the license, which is pretty strange and probably not intended. (Also, it should be "bona fide", not "bonafied".) It's also completely unenforcable, as there's no way for anyone to identify computers where an addon is installed, and scan those computers for WoW installations, and make sure that said installations aren't connecting to private servers, and make sure that any account that has ever signed in with that installation is "valid and active".

Anyway, yeah, it looks like Paragraph 3 allows distribution as long as (a) nothing is modified, (b) there is a link to the nUI website, and (c) there is a link to the nUI donation page:

Redistribution of the nUI Release/nUI Lite version is permitted under the following terms... Permission is hereby granted for unlimited free and open distribution of "nUI Release" / "nUI Lite" by anyone in any form and by any means provided the nUI Release distribution contents are not altered in any way, are distributed in full with all copyright statements and licensing terms included and intact and that any interface the end user is provided for the purpose of downloading nUI includes a plainly visible and functioning link to nUI's official web site at http://www.nUIaddon.com and a plainly visible notice that nUI accepts user donations with a working link to nUI's donation page at http://www.nUIaddon.com/donate.html
Since WoA copied your original description verbatim, they also copied the links, so it looks like they are in compliance with the license.

Edit: Also, I noticed on your WoWI download page you have the title as "nUI 5.07.24 (Lite)- MotP Beta"... but there's no "t" word in "Mists of Pandaria".
08-20-12, 01:49 AM   #110
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Rofl, I was wondering that phanx, thanks. I'll make he amendment next patch update.
08-20-12, 05:30 AM   #111
Kagaro
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Mike-N-Go View Post
It looks like we will have to legally twist their arm, for World of Addons is in the wrong. Is that what World of Addons wants? To be sued?

I sent a follow up note to them along with a if not done by COB Monday, my legal team will be following up. I got a pretty quick response that they will de list it form their site as well. If not, my company keeps several lawyers on retainer for this type of litigation as we do educational software and copyright is a big issue in that field. so if not gone by cob Monday ill send it over to the legal department and see what they have to say.
08-20-12, 07:57 AM   #112
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Seriously now, considering the massive legal breach, I suggest a class action lawsuit. I sent an email demanding WoA cease and desist. I did not send an official DCMA form, but nobody should. The problem ought never to have happened in the first place. For those of you who have sent such a form, it won't hurt.

At least one of my addons woa/wow/smartres2 is still there. Has Curse staff piped up, considering it is there servers that got data mined illegally?

Yes, I am very, very serious about serving writ at this point.
08-20-12, 03:09 PM   #113
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
SharedMedia and SharedMedia-Blizzard were both taken down today. However, this extra copy ("bad scrape") is still present. I'll have to check it again tomorrow or so.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-20-12, 03:17 PM   #114
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
They silently removed my addons. Odd.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
08-21-12, 05:25 AM   #115
Kagaro
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Cladhaire View Post
They silently removed my addons. Odd.
all of mine have now been removed
08-21-12, 08:18 AM   #116
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
They've also deleted the entire comments thread, and the Director's Letter. Thank goodness for screenshots (and Google cache). Unfortunately I don't have the last couple days' worth, but I've got most of them. See attachments if you want to read it all.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us is the link to Google's cache of the Director's letter, but I've also got a screenshot of it attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	directors_letter.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	7084  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Comments.zip (5.59 MB, 436 views)

Last edited by Cairenn : 08-21-12 at 10:32 AM.
08-21-12, 03:10 PM   #117
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Did anyone happen to sign up for an account at WoA? Yesterday, I posted that SM was removed, but today I see it listed it the Recently Updated box on their home page. Clicking on it takes you to what was the download page for SM, but it asks you to sign in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	updated.PNG
Views:	453
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	7085  
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-21-12, 03:16 PM   #118
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
I signed up for that precise purpose. Let's see what I can see.
08-21-12, 03:22 PM   #119
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
It shows shared media on there with #disabled at the end of the addon name. But there is a file link to download from their servers it seems.

However, I could only get there by typing it in by name. Scrolling through over 5 pages of addons didn't show it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sharedmedia-woa.png
Views:	506
Size:	642.9 KB
ID:	7086  

Last edited by Xrystal : 08-21-12 at 03:41 PM.
08-21-12, 05:49 PM   #120
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yeah, I noted in my post that that was still there. I guess I forgot the link. http://worldofaddons.com/wow/sharedmedia It's listed/linked in the "Recently Updated" box on the main page with yesterday's date.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » /sigh ... Here we go again