06-18-11, 01:47 AM   #1
Amemir
Son of a Murloc

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Addons Advanced Search

Is there a way to set the addon search bar (that appears in the navigation bar) to always use the advanced search?

4 out of 5 times I am searching for something and have to search a 2nd time as it either takes me to an addons page or a list with the search term in the title. In these cases I find myself doing the search again but adding # to the end so it doesn't find any results, which takes me to the advanced search where I remove the # and check the box to search in the description too.

06-18-11, 01:49 AM   #2
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
If you don't put anything into the search box (leave it with the default text) and press the spyglass it takes you to the advanced search page.

06-18-11, 06:36 AM   #3
Amemir
Son of a Murloc

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
If you don't put anything into the search box (leave it with the default text) and press the spyglass it takes you to the advanced search page.
While that will save a bit of time it still means I have to do an extra step just to do the actual search, would it be possible to add a setting to change the default search behaviour?

06-18-11, 11:04 AM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Hover your mouse over the Addons menu up at the top left. At the bottom of the dropdown is a search box with the option to search within the description.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-19-11, 02:06 AM   #5
Mike-N-Go
A Theradrim Guardian

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Hover your mouse over the Addons menu up at the top left. At the bottom of the dropdown is a search box with the option to search within the description.
That seems like quite a bit of mousovering over more then one popup: When I tried your method, it took a few tries to not skip the "projects" tab.

May you standardize the "Advanced Search" like it is in the "Forums" tab popup, put it on the first popup? Either that, or add a footer so I do not have to slowly crawl the page to stop at "Projects"

Author of Daily Bean Counter, MyNameTogglesWhenIAFKorDND, Extended Shutdown Warning, Auto Mail Director, Duel Nullify, Spec Transmiter, Say Again, Window Teller, Who Crafts, Ad Repeater, Privy Cork, Mac Backup, and more.

07-19-11, 08:48 AM   #6
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
1 click to advanced search...

Click the spyglass with out typing anything into the search field on the menu bar.

07-19-11, 12:19 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Mike-N-Go View Post
That seems like quite a bit of mousovering over more then one popup: When I tried your method, it took a few tries to not skip the "projects" tab.

May you standardize the "Advanced Search" like it is in the "Forums" tab popup, put it on the first popup? Either that, or add a footer so I do not have to slowly crawl the page to stop at "Projects"
Huh?.... I mentioned nothing about the Projects menu.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-19-11, 02:14 PM   #8
Mike-N-Go
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Huh?.... I mentioned nothing about the Projects menu.
The path, at least for me, to get to the advanced search bar in the AddOns tag is AddOns -> Projects -> mouse to "Addvanced". Is it not the same for you?

What am was trying to say, was change it so I can go AddOns -> "Addvanced", taking at hop out.

Author of Daily Bean Counter, MyNameTogglesWhenIAFKorDND, Extended Shutdown Warning, Auto Mail Director, Duel Nullify, Spec Transmiter, Say Again, Window Teller, Who Crafts, Ad Repeater, Privy Cork, Mac Backup, and more.

07-19-11, 02:18 PM   #9
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Mike-N-Go View Post
The path, at least for me, to get to the advanced search bar in the AddOns tag is AddOns -> Projects -> mouse to "Addvanced". Is it not the same for you?

What am was trying to say, was change it so I can go AddOns -> "Addvanced", taking at hop out.

You can... its just the same as the forum search. AddOns -> "Addvanced" works just fine for me.

07-19-11, 02:20 PM   #10
Mike-N-Go
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
You can... its just the same as the forum search.
Another thing I was trying to point out that the nesting can make it more difficult to get to, for there is no footer in the popup: one pixel too far, and you miss it.

07-19-11, 02:21 PM   #11
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Theres a 10px buffer for me on all browsers.

This thread has gone WAY off topic from the op.

Thank you for the suggestions I will take them into consideration.

Last edited by Dolby : 07-19-11 at 02:33 PM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Addons Advanced Search