05-12-11, 05:42 PM   #1
Tåg
A Defias Bandit

[Request] Huge Project, but would be so cool...

I've been looking for people that are interested in starting up a community centered around making an add-on that voices over every quest in the game- to give questing, leveling, and dailies that much more of a sense of realism.

If you're one of those people who take time to read quests, or even only certain ones, you probably see where I'm coming from.

Now I don't know anything about coding or what would be required from such an addon, but I'd imagine it's doable. Perhaps the hardest part would be finding a large enough amount of voice actors to commit to doing it.

Anyone interested?
05-12-11, 05:48 PM   #2
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The physical size of the addon would be large. Filesize.
But if this was out there i would use it.
05-12-11, 06:11 PM   #3
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Originally Posted by Tåg View Post
I've been looking for people that are interested in starting up a community centered around making an add-on that voices over every quest in the game- to give questing, leveling, and dailies that much more of a sense of realism.

If you're one of those people who take time to read quests, or even only certain ones, you probably see where I'm coming from.

Now I don't know anything about coding or what would be required from such an addon, but I'd imagine it's doable. Perhaps the hardest part would be finding a large enough amount of voice actors to commit to doing it.

Anyone interested?
With around 10k quests in the game, and multiple sections of quest text for each, we're looking at a LOT of voice acting. Voice actors, reviewers, coders, web site design and maintenance. HUGE project
05-12-11, 06:50 PM   #4
Tåg
A Defias Bandit

The physical size of the addon would be large. Filesize.
I know there's a limit to how many characters are in each quest description (~200?), how big do you think each sound file would be knowing that? But yeah, I can only imagine how big it would be if it were done to completion... maybe it could have different modules for Horde/Alliance, Eastern Kingdoms, Outlands, etc.

With around 10k quests in the game, and multiple sections of quest text for each, we're looking at a LOT of voice acting. Voice actors, reviewers, coders, web site design and maintenance. HUGE project
Yeah, it really is going to be! I'm pretty good at organization, and have done voice-acting myself in the past (hence why I was interested in starting the project), so I could certainly get that stuff together. I would just need some code-monkeys to help since I have no knowledge of that!
05-12-11, 08:26 PM   #5
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Theoretically using Wowhead PTR there are roughly 10000 quests in the game. Let's assume that the average words per quest on the quest log before accepting, in the log and when finished is around 512 words per quest. This means it would take about 1-1.5 minute (for someone that reads well and not too slow) to read all the text. We got about 15000 minutes of speech in total, with a good codec like OGG you can get 1.5 minute of speech with mid/low quality into 256kb hence 15000 minutes of speech turns into 3840000kb ~= 3750mb ~= 3.7gb. Only question is how this would affect the game loading speeds, it would be a lot of files to scan trough at startup...

I may be wrong at some parts, excuse me.
05-12-11, 08:48 PM   #6
Tåg
A Defias Bandit

Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
Theoretically using Wowhead PTR there are roughly 10000 quests in the game. Let's assume that the average words per quest on the quest log before accepting, in the log and when finished is around 512 words per quest. This means it would take about 1-1.5 minute (for someone that reads well and not too slow) to read all the text. We got about 15000 minutes of speech in total, with a good codec like OGG you can get 1.5 minute of speech with mid/low quality into 256kb hence 15000 minutes of speech turns into 3840000kb ~= 3750mb ~= 3.7gb. Only question is how this would affect the game loading speeds, it would be a lot of files to scan trough at startup...

I may be wrong at some parts, excuse me.

*whistle* That sure is a lot of data isn't it.
Still, would the module idea make it feasible? Although it wouldn't be ideal, it might be needed.
05-12-11, 09:39 PM   #7
tinyu
A Molten Giant

it would probably be better to split them into Zone plugins or level range plugins instead of Continent

Alliance or Horde

Eastern Kingdoms -> Elwynn Forest -> Download

Kalimdor -> Durotar -> Download

would also probably be best to have a Core Addon (QuestSpeak?) and in that core addon you could have each factions start zone quests (Valley of Trials, Northshire etc) and make that available on the mod sites then make the plugins available on your website.

I'd really love to see a proof of concept.

perhaps Boss Mod: TTS might help get started.
05-13-11, 06:40 PM   #8
Crissa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

We could use a reading software and then custom voices for each race/gender for most of them if possible. Might be a bit klunky, but some of the reading software is very good.

-Crissa
05-13-11, 08:14 PM   #9
Dawn
A Molten Giant

Most people don't even read the quest log, do you really think they will listen to 1+minute of speech instead?

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

05-13-11, 08:26 PM   #10
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
Most people don't even read the quest log, do you really think they will listen to 1+minute of speech instead?
Hmm, true. I wonder what would happen if Blizzard removed the quest arrows/blobs for a week. You'd venture out into Azeroth only to find scores of people, wandering around lost, looking to the stars for direction, silently weeping. Occasionally you would hear the anguished cry of someone who ventured into an area far too high a level for them
05-13-11, 08:34 PM   #11
Lily.Petal
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Nibelheim View Post
Hmm, true. I wonder what would happen if Blizzard removed the quest arrows/blobs for a week. You'd venture out into Azeroth only to find scores of people, wandering around lost, looking to the stars for direction, silently weeping. Occasionally you would hear the anguished cry of someone who ventured into an area far too high a level for them
Quoted for truth~!

OT: as said, most people don't read a lot of the quest text, though there ARE some of us who do, and having a voice to it instead of the normal NPC sound would be awesome ;D

Aggro Color to KG Panels Borders - Nibelheim
Lua Based UI Hider - Nibelheim
Custom LUA PowerText - Stuf - Nibelheim, Seerah
05-14-11, 01:00 AM   #12
Jynks
A Frostmaul Preserver
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
I would. I would listen to all the quests .. but i would nvr read it... If this project happened I would use it for sure...

I am not sure why blizzrad do not do this themselves... they should just stream the voice over the net.. so we do not need the files local.
05-14-11, 02:33 PM   #13
Xinhuan
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

With 10000 more files in the addon folder (one per quest), I think it would probably add some 30 seconds to wow startup time. (Just guessing, someone go try creating 10000 blank files or something.)

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » [Request] Huge Project, but would be so cool...