03-29-10, 02:07 PM   #1
nailertn
An Aku'mai Servant
element update order

I can't decide if I can rely on Health always updating before Power when traversing __elements. In oUF.lua elements is a hash table, both update functions are injected using a simple tinsert without the index argument, thus their order should be undefined. Yet for some reason Health's index always seems to be lower. Did I miss something or is it just a coincidence I should not rely on?
03-29-10, 05:22 PM   #2
nailertn
An Aku'mai Servant
In fact I just discovered __elements is no longer iterated with ipairs but with next, and according to the Lua Reference Manual "the order in which the indices are enumerated is not specified, even for numeric indices". Even though I ran a couple of tests and the array values of tables persistently come up in ascending order. Haste himself uses this in oUF_lily:

table.insert(self.__elements, 2, PostCastStop)

Which again makes no sense for an undefined iteration. Does WoW redefine the next function to behave differently? Something is fishy here.
03-31-10, 03:27 AM   #3
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
The code you posted from Lily is just leftovers from the old system. The update order is undefined however, so I wouldn't rely on any of it's behavior.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) » element update order