12-16-08, 02:12 PM   #2021
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
~lol~

I'd like to nominate Marthisdil as the official nUI front gate guard. I may be mistaken, but I think there's a wee bit of pitbull in Mart's DNA

~grin~
Lol....nah - but really - posts like his, and others, than aren't constructive, are pretty much useless...why bothering wasting resources

M

p.s. Scott - sent you a PM!

Marth

12-16-08, 03:07 PM   #2022
mscott998
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
But it helps newer players that may not be familiar with a zone. More experienced players may not need the zone names to be colored as we're more familiar with most of the zones. More experienced players can ignore the colored zone names, while the newer players can take advantage of it. I think it's great that Scott is at least toying with the idea.
i agree totally dont get me wrong, i just know scott has alot on his to do list

12-16-08, 07:20 PM   #2023
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I've had a few posts lately people complaining that the tooltips for inventory items and/or spells will not respect the '/nui tooltips fixed' command (as in they still display at the owner frame or at the mouse instead of the fixed location).

Is there anyone out there that can reproduce this error? If so, if you turn off all mods except nUI, does the error go away?

I cannot reproduce it and I'm starting to wonder if there's another mod maybe overriding nUI's management of tooltips because I'm having trouble proving the '/nui tooltips default' bug as well.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

12-16-08, 07:55 PM   #2024
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

HEY scott just checked the tooltip thing for ya everything seems fine with fixed default and owner only thing i noticed was with mouse option world units dont show up at cursor but rather at fixed location dont know if its supposed to do that because ive never wanted my tooltips at the mouse (god how annoying would that be) but everything else works fine so im sure your probably right in suspecting another mod im sure you remember cowtips did that to me till i renamed the file
anyway let me know if i can help
eric

12-17-08, 12:26 AM   #2025
Kodewulf
Premium Member

Premium Member
I'm adding and option to toggle that feature on and off. It's not locking up, it was added by request (hiding tooltips during combat) -- I didn't expect so many people to have a problem with that as there's really no useful info in the tooltips during combat, but apparently I was mistaken... so, the next update will include a slash command to toggle that on and off.
I think it's mainly when the action change, like when you're controlling a vehicle and such, and you don't have a lot of time to study the controls before combat starts. It helps to know what button does what.

So I'd say having a slash command would be very nice, thank you.

12-17-08, 12:32 AM   #2026
Kodewulf
Premium Member

Premium Member
~lol~

I'd like to nominate Marthisdil as the official nUI front gate guard. I may be mistaken, but I think there's a wee bit of pitbull in Mart's DNA

~grin~
And I whole-heartedly second this nomination.

12-17-08, 05:31 AM   #2027
fludder
A Fallenroot Satyr

nUI -- Thin Grey dashboard skin

Scott,
/facepalm .........

Ok the moded skin is submitted for optional files now.

I'm working still on a pale blue version with the top bars slimmed down to only encompass the frame rate + buttons (skill, spell, character etc...) with the hud select button floating like the pet bar with the thin black dashboard skin. this will free up a little unnecessarily obscured screen space on either side of the HUD selection button.

~Fludder

12-17-08, 05:38 AM   #2028
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by fludder View Post
Scott,
/facepalm .........

Ok the moded skin is submitted for optional files now.

I'm working still on a pale blue version with the top bars slimmed down to only encompass the frame rate + buttons (skill, spell, character etc...) with the hud select button floating like the pet bar with the thin black dashboard skin. this will free up a little unnecessarily obscured screen space on either side of the HUD selection button.

~Fludder
I would hesitate to call the space at the top unnecessary. That space is reserved for several new features that will be added... gold tracker, ammo tracker, wardrobe manager, durability. In addition, those bars all drop down with FuBar and/or Titan to provide a matching (nUI visual match) bar background to the dashboard. In addition, nUI will eventually support its own bar plugin format (like Titan/FuBar) for which that top console graphic will also become the bar backdrop.

Just a heads up so you know why the bar graphic is designed the way it is.

12-17-08, 09:13 AM   #2029
Myth024
A Defias Bandit
Nifty

This was a very fast load, and worked quite smoothly. Screen real-estate is always a big issue for me. I need to see what's going on, especially when I have to dynamically change to a situation in a raid. It's ok for solo work, but I have to use something else for raiding. I also noticed that I could still move the chat frames around and it seems like there is a lot of wasted space in the bottom section. I feel the action bars would work better aligned along the bottom, left, and right sides and then set the other areas for the ability to hide when in combat. My favorite part of the whole thing was the HUD and If I could run that without everything else I'd be happy lol. It would also be nice to see some kind of graphical based menu for adjusting and turning off and on things. Overall it seems to achieve the lightweight and efficient operation it was intended to, but lacks some in visual layout.

12-17-08, 09:32 AM   #2030
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Myth024 View Post
This was a very fast load, and worked quite smoothly. Screen real-estate is always a big issue for me. I need to see what's going on, especially when I have to dynamically change to a situation in a raid. It's ok for solo work, but I have to use something else for raiding. I also noticed that I could still move the chat frames around and it seems like there is a lot of wasted space in the bottom section.
Where? That area combines solo unit frames, group unit frames and raid unit frames into a single space. When solo, yes, the unit frames are larger. However, as the raid gets larger it actually becomes a case of not enough space for the unit frames.

I feel the action bars would work better aligned along the bottom, left, and right sides
Placing the action bars along the edges is fine for a keyboard/macro player, but a nightmare for mouse-clickers. Furthermore, the intent in grouping the key action bars together in the center of the field of play is to prevent the player from having to divert their gaze to the edges of the screens to see counts, cooldowns, availability, etc. Keeping the action bars near the combat center means the eye is always close to the information it needs and much can be seen with ease using nothing more than peripheral vision... something you cannot do by placing the action bars on the screen edges.

and then set the other areas for the ability to hide when in combat.
Hide what? There is nothing there that a significant number of players do not want to see in combat... chat frames, combat log, unit frames, etc. There's *very* little there which is not combat related. Of course, if you're a minimalist, then this is a moot point. This particular nUI layout is *not* intended for minimalists. Of course, you could always copy and edit the skin files and make it look any way you like.

My favorite part of the whole thing was the HUD and If I could run that without everything else I'd be happy lol.
Unfortunately, everything about the HUD is tightly integrated with the rest... there's no extracting it from the rest as it's all one.

It would also be nice to see some kind of graphical based menu for adjusting and turning off and on things.
*sigh* Doesn't ANYONE ever read the release notes and known issues?

Overall it seems to achieve the lightweight and efficient operation it was intended to, but lacks some in visual layout.
As I have stated before, the concept of "visual layout" is entirely subjective. For very person who hates any one layout, there's another who loves it and would hate any change you made to it. Pleasing everyone with a single layout is not possible... which is why nUI is designed to support multiple layouts... if you don't like this one, by all means copy the skins, modify them to look the way you like and then upload them to the nUI optional files section so others may benefit from them.

12-17-08, 11:23 AM   #2031
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by Myth024 View Post
This was a very fast load, and worked quite smoothly. Screen real-estate is always a big issue for me. I need to see what's going on, especially when I have to dynamically change to a situation in a raid. It's ok for solo work, but I have to use something else for raiding. I also noticed that I could still move the chat frames around and it seems like there is a lot of wasted space in the bottom section. I feel the action bars would work better aligned along the bottom, left, and right sides and then set the other areas for the ability to hide when in combat. My favorite part of the whole thing was the HUD and If I could run that without everything else I'd be happy lol. It would also be nice to see some kind of graphical based menu for adjusting and turning off and on things. Overall it seems to achieve the lightweight and efficient operation it was intended to, but lacks some in visual layout.
Granted, the 25/40 man raid layout isn't in yet....but i don't think that even if it were it would suffice for what you are looking for. If you need Grid or whatever for your raids, so be it...nothing is stopping you.

As far as moving the chat frames...can't say i've tried - nor accidentally moved them, so dunno, but if nothing else, right clicking on the tab and locking it isn't a huge issue.

Options window is something on the planned to-do list (which you would have noticed in the docs on the page you downloaded it from - it's in green (matter of fact, so was the comment about the raid layouts).

Visual layout is beyond subjective. The mod was developed with the layout the author wanted, and it'll likely stay that way for a long time. If you feel there's wasted space, please, feel free to write your own completely from scratch, or bundle UI mods and arrange them to your liking - nothing is stopping you.

But coming here and telling Scott that his layout is lacking is pointless coming from someone - simply because he didn't write it for YOU.

Marth

12-17-08, 11:27 AM   #2032
spiel2001
nUI's Author

~woof~

[evil grin]

Originally Posted by Marthisdil View Post
But coming here and telling Scott that his layout is lacking is pointless coming from someone - simply because he didn't write it for YOU.

12-17-08, 01:00 PM   #2033
Seer
A Molten Giant
Do you have QuestHelper installed?

It messes with flight paths a lot and could be at issue. Very definitely not related to nUI though as nUI does *nothing* related to flight paths.

Originally Posted by seer
At times I lose my FP.. I see a few lines when I am in the old world, but no way to select the end (no icons).. In northrend however I see the lines and a few icons.. (No picture sorry).
Well, been a few days and since I deleted the variable files left over from QH I didn't have this problem anymore (for now).

Thanks for the hint :-)

12-17-08, 01:01 PM   #2034
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
~woof~

[evil grin]
Sometimes my logic precedes me Maybe I'm a Vulcan in a Human's clothing

p.s. Scott - you still haven't registered so I can show you around *cough*

Marth

12-17-08, 02:29 PM   #2035
Lemn
A Defias Bandit
Hello Scott,

First let me say I read your known issues . I understand you do not have dashboard support for the new vehicle type quests. What exactly does this mean? I notice that sometimes I get the blizzard vehicle bar, other times I get new boxes right next to my presence ones for DKs, and other times it is not there at all and I have to either fail the quest or try reloading via nui. By unsupported do you mean that it is currently unpredictable or that the default blizzard vehicle thing should always work? BTW, I am a DK and I think it might get wonky when I have my ghoul up and I enter a vehicle. It appears that sets off some of the issues...perhaps testing with a pet class when you do your support for this .

I asked you via a mail once if you will support moving the unit/party frames and minimap over a bit (the size of the vertical button bar) so I can use your nui movers to have more buttons to one side of the screen. You said that would be a might bit difficult to do. I was wondering if you are not thinking of doing this yourself in the future which files I need to look at to try this on my own and which editors you recommend I use to do it with. I took some courses in programming a while back so it wont be impossible...just extremely difficult.

Another thing I noticed is that my racial heroic presence (draeni) will show twice sometimes. Once to the far left and in the regular place to the right of that. Is that a bug or is it supposed to be there?

thanks for any assistance,

Eric

12-17-08, 02:46 PM   #2036
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Quote:
Do you have QuestHelper installed?

It messes with flight paths a lot and could be at issue. Very definitely not related to nUI though as nUI does *nothing* related to flight paths.
Originally Posted by Seer View Post
Well, been a few days and since I deleted the variable files left over from QH I didn't have this problem anymore (for now).

Thanks for the hint :-)
Can't find the original post about this here (sorry!)... wanted to let you know that this is a long standing bug. I've seen tons of people (even those who do not run addons) over in the tech support forum report that their flight path icons have disappeared. It's happened to me before as well. It's been suggested to log out of the game and delete the layout-local.txt file (located in your characters folder [inside of the WTF folder]). This normally brings them back.

12-17-08, 08:02 PM   #2037
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Lemn --
Originally Posted by Lemn View Post
Hello Scott,

First let me say I read your known issues . I understand you do not have dashboard support for the new vehicle type quests. What exactly does this mean? I notice that sometimes I get the blizzard vehicle bar, other times I get new boxes right next to my presence ones for DKs, and other times it is not there at all and I have to either fail the quest or try reloading via nui. By unsupported do you mean that it is currently unpredictable or that the default blizzard vehicle thing should always work? BTW, I am a DK and I think it might get wonky when I have my ghoul up and I enter a vehicle. It appears that sets off some of the issues...perhaps testing with a pet class when you do your support for this .
Technically, the version of nUI you have right now is doing *nothing* with the vehicle frames. Bliz is deciding whether or not to show the frame and which action buttons go where. So, by unsupported what I mean is that nUI is not managing the vehcle frame at all. Whatever happens is independant of nUI.

Generally, the entire vehicle system is pretty buggy and people are experiencing some of what you're describing with no mods at all. It's part of the reason why I don't have nUI support in place yet... (a) it's hard to tell what's broken because I broke it and what's broken because Bliz broke it and (b) if I am not dinking with the vehicle frames at all, then I can't be blamed for them not working ~grin~

I am continuing to test on my end, but know that there is no vehicle frame code in the released versions of nUI, so there is no intereference from me in what you're are and are not seeing at present.

I asked you via a mail once if you will support moving the unit/party frames and minimap over a bit (the size of the vertical button bar) so I can use your nui movers to have more buttons to one side of the screen. You said that would be a might bit difficult to do. I was wondering if you are not thinking of doing this yourself in the future which files I need to look at to try this on my own and which editors you recommend I use to do it with. I took some courses in programming a while back so it wont be impossible...just extremely difficult.
I will be offering alternate layouts and as I tell others, you are always welcome to copy the skin files and modify them yourself... if you come up with a layout you like, you can always upload it to the nUI option addons tab so others can use it, too.

Another thing I noticed is that my racial heroic presence (draeni) will show twice sometimes. Once to the far left and in the regular place to the right of that. Is that a bug or is it supposed to be there?
Far left of what?

If you mean on the very left edge of the screen, do you have a pet? If so, the auras at the far left are the auras on your pet and odds are that's what you're seeing. If it's somewhere other than that, I would appreciate it if you would post a screencap of it so I can see what you're talking about.

12-17-08, 11:23 PM   #2038
Jungleanimal
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I am back again...this time I finally got my Mage back to 25 man raids and I can see the 25 man FPS leak now. I'm all caught up on the posts so I am sending a prayer out to the coding gods that the bug is found. It took my normal 30FPS down to 4 at some points. Good luck with that one, I am quietly cheering in the corner with my skirt and pom poms and hairy legs.

Jungle

12-18-08, 07:59 AM   #2039
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by Jungleanimal View Post
I am back again...this time I finally got my Mage back to 25 man raids and I can see the 25 man FPS leak now. I'm all caught up on the posts so I am sending a prayer out to the coding gods that the bug is found. It took my normal 30FPS down to 4 at some points. Good luck with that one, I am quietly cheering in the corner with my skirt and pom poms and hairy legs.

Jungle
You can buy Nair at the store

Marth

12-19-08, 03:29 PM   #2040
Tehryn
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

castbar

Hi again,

Got an extra bar when doing the lvl80 quest "From Whence They Came" in Icecrown (see screenshot below).

Also, Scott, would it be possible to add current values to slash commands, like "nUI hud hgap (xx)" where (xx) is the current setting?

Cheers!

"Slight variations in spelling and grammar may have been added in order to enhance this post's individual character and beauty, and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects"
[0x81BEB11E]

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » nUI -- A full feature standalone UI replacement