04-02-12, 01:32 PM   #1
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
oUF_Simple3

Currently fixing oUF_Simple making it oUF_Simple3.

Current status:
http://imgur.com/a/tA46U#0

I like the texture and the font a lot. The texture idea is from Alexis UI but since I could not find the texture in the trillions of folders I made my own based on a screenshot. Font is Expressway Rg. The bolder brother of Expressway Free.

Not finished yet. Config is going to get expanded quite a bit for more variability.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

Last edited by zork : 04-02-12 at 01:47 PM.
04-02-12, 02:12 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

Looks good so far.

Suggestions:

1. Add more contrast between the health bar and its background, at least in screenshot #1; it looks fine in #2.

2. Filter the buffs. Do you really need an icon for Precious' Ribbon on your unit frames?

3. Do something with the portrait size. Either reduce the height so it lines up with the unit frame, or make it some fairly even multiple of the unit frame's height, like 2x or even 1.5x, and maybe center it vertically. Right now it's just a weird height, and it bothers me.

Based on my previous experience with oUF_Simple, though, my #1 suggestion would be to try to simplify the code. Every time I looked at it to try to help someone on the forums, I was pretty surprised anyone new to WoW programming could make heads or tails of anything in there, and would never have recommended it as a starting point for someone looking to write their own layout.
04-02-12, 03:19 PM   #3
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

1) That is actually the debuff highlight. The alpha can be adjusted. The overlay is only visible when a debuff occurs that can be dispelled. Enabled it for testing.
2) If you have any good aura filter for oUF please share.
3) Portraits will be part of the config and can be disabled and resized to whatever you want.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

Last edited by zork : 04-02-12 at 03:21 PM.
04-02-12, 06:42 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

I think the whitelist filtering I'm using in oUF_Phanx is pretty straightforward. Not sure what your criteria for "good" are though.

A border or something might be better for highlighting dispellable debuffs. In the first screenshot, it just looks like the background is an ugly dark gold color (disease, I'm guessing), but it's not really bright enough to be obviously a highlight.
04-03-12, 10:33 AM   #5
neverg
A Frostmaul Preserver

I like your oUF_Simple since it is... simple yet informative, the same philosophy I used for oUF_lumen.

Only suggestion I have is the debuff filtering like you suggested. On oUF_lumen I use a white list for important buffs and debuffs self applyed by me, the rest of the debuffs I simply gray out the ones that are not my own. I don't believe anyone has time during a fight or PvP to go through an enormous list of debuffs to see what is present or not anyway.

You can see what I mean in this image: http://s.cdn.wowinterface.com/preview/pvw44951.jpg
04-03-12, 02:01 PM   #6
Siannus
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by neverg View Post
I'm no longer playing, so, sorry for that but you'll have to ask for support in the oUF forums.
Just courious, are you still playing or no? Ive noticed your layout hasnt been updated in quite sometime. And if you arent playing, why is your input important here? Dont mean to sound rude, but I think input from active people is more important than non-active players, especially ones that keep thier addons up-to-date!
04-03-12, 02:15 PM   #7
Qupe
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Originally Posted by Siannus View Post
Just courious, are you still playing or no? Ive noticed your layout hasnt been updated in quite sometime. And if you arent playing, why is your input important here? Dont mean to sound rude, but I think input from active people is more important than non-active players, especially ones that keep thier addons up-to-date!
Nothing he said was irrelevant in the slightest, let alone anything that isn't applicable to current unitframes. There are a lot of quality oUF layouts that use this method of filtering that are currently up to date.

-----

On topic, I really like the whitelist idea especially the desaturated look on debuffs you want to see that aren't applied by yourself. The layout I use introduced me to it (oUF_NIN - which is Phanx's code, I believe) and I really can't imagine using anything else or anything else that really works as well.
04-03-12, 04:22 PM   #8
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

But doesn't whitelisting neglect special boss specific buffs that you may need but do not have in your list? Target only of course. Buff list for all other frames are for sure. I even using no buffs on other units but aurawatch.

04-03-12, 04:41 PM   #9
neverg
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Siannus View Post
o_o' Sorry? Do I need to be playing to be able to give someone feedback on a FEEDBACK topic? That doesn't make any sense at all, specially considering you have 3 posts and you wasted 1 of those 3 to say something like that, not adding at all nothing to the discussion. As far as I know the frames have the same functionality as they had last time I played the game. Regarding my addons, they have not been updated since I stopped playing actively 1 year ago, but now I'm playing again, anyway it doesn't make any difference. I am using the same version of my addons that WoWInterface has and everything works fine (at least for the classes I use) so I can't see the problem there. And even if they don't work there are several other addons and uniframes out there, that isn't a valid point to not allow me to give feedback to fellow addon developers.

And ontopic.. Zork, I only use whitelists for buffs and debuffs on Target Frame, Focus frame and ofc only for important buffs on Raid frames. On Player frame I don't filter any debuffs as you said, some are important, even if you can see them on the default interface aura buff and debuff positions.
04-03-12, 05:33 PM   #10
Qupe
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Does the whitelist filter NPC buffs? I thought it only affected debuffs and buffs on PC's?

Doubt I was doing it properly, but I tried to add certain buffs NPC's had to the filter to see if anything would change/happen and didn't notice any difference.
04-03-12, 06:14 PM   #11
villiv
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
You may want to do some tests with:

Lua Code:
  1. local name, rank, icon, count, debuffType, duration, expirationTime, unitCaster, canStealOrPurge, shouldConsolidate, spellId, canApplyAura, isBossDebuff, points1, points2, points3, isCastByPlayer = UnitAura(unit, index, filter)
  3. local hasCustom, alwaysShowMine, showForMySpec = SpellGetVisibilityInfo(spellId, "ENEMY_TARGET") -- "RAID_INCOMBAT" or "RAID_OUTOFCOMBAT"

And I hope you'll share your thought. =)
04-03-12, 09:28 PM   #12
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by zork View Post
But doesn't whitelisting neglect special boss specific buffs that you may need but do not have in your list?
I solve this problem by allowing, for the target unit:

a) all auras on the whitelist,
b) all auras cast by the player's vehicle,
c) all auras cast by the target unit itself, for hostile targets only, and
d) all auras flagged as boss debuffs, for friendly targets only.

The only place I think my filtering system may fall short is in PvP, but that could be easily solved by someone who actually PvPs and knows what needs to be filtered for that.
04-04-12, 01:39 AM   #13
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Ok that sounds reasonable.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » oUF_Simple3