01-21-14, 09:45 AM   #1
Lombra
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hide frame on escape but not on control lost

I use UISpecialFrames to make my frames hide on escape. (and some other actions) I like this feature. What I don't like is how these frames also gets hidden on PLAYER_CONTROL_LOST. Normally this is annoying. When it closes my whisper frame while I'm in the middle of typing a message, which then gets lost, it's completely retarded. Is there some neat way to fix this?

Looking at the code, I could probably do without it closing on any of the non hardware driven events, such as player dead, entering world.

Actually I might just unregister the event on the UIParent. That won't cause taint, will it? All it does apart from closing all windows is setting UIParent.isOutOfControl = 1, which doesn't seem to be used anywhere.

Would still like to work around the other events if possible. Entering world I could probably do something with leaving world. Not sure about player dead. There's no such thing as getCurrentEvent() is there? How about get current hardware event? I know about GetMouseButtonClicked, but that won't cover escape, obviously.
01-21-14, 10:18 AM   #2
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Unregistering the event won't cause taint. As far as I know registering an event won't either, so if you only want to temporarily disable it while the edit box is shown you should be able to do that.
01-21-14, 10:38 AM   #3
Duugu
Premium Member

Code:
<Frame name="UIParent" setAllPoints="true" protected="true" frameStrata="MEDIUM">
I'm not very familar with this, but doesn't protected="true" basically mean that calling UIParent:UnregisterEvent() out of tainted code will cause taint?
01-21-14, 07:22 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Duugu View Post
I'm not very familar with this, but doesn't protected="true" basically mean that calling UIParent:UnregisterEvent() out of tainted code will cause taint?
No; unregistering an event on a secure frame does not taint the frame. Every unitframe addon in existence unregistered UNIT_NAME_UPDATE on their secure group headers before Blizzard broke automated title-swapping, and they still unregister events and do other stuff to the Blizzard uniframes to hide them, all of which can be un-done by re-registering the events and the Blizzard frames will return to working normally without any taint complaints.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Hide frame on escape but not on control lost