06-16-10, 12:28 PM   #2521
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hooray, a positive comment! Thanks Politig, I'm really liking it so far. I know what you mean about pixel fonts, and I usually enjoy them, especially the Hooge series, but I recently got kind of bored of the standard ones, so I decided to use a 'large' pixel font for these UFs. For the names, I'm using Aloft with an invisible health bar along with VirtualPlates to scale them according to their distance from the screen. It works really nicely, as I don't usually have the need to see the health of all nearby units, and the default name text is horribly illegible.

dr_AllCOM3, sorry to be rude, but I have never heard of you before nor seen that screenshot. It's forgivable to think someone has ripped you off when you believe to have invented a certain idea, but I'm afraid you didn't.

haylie, I think the word 'lol' is best suited to this situation. I'm assuming your comment is half-serious, so I'll explain. I recently got fed up with the whole UI business and just worked with the default UI with some functional modifications (sticky chat channels, for example), so I was used to the whole look-in-the-corner thing. I also learnt that all I need to know in a fight is my health, my opponent's health and my own buffs/debuffs, which are mostly visible through the game world itself. Because of this, I decided to try something new with my next UI. To be honest, if you compared this to a 'conventional' minimal UI, I can't see how mine would take any more silly eye-movement to see my health in comparison with the target's. To be honest, the frames are so wide that you can see the comparison out of the bottom of my eye. I sort of had the whole fighting-game UI in mind when I did this. So I'm sorry, but you simply cannot apply your logic to my playing style. :)
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa

06-16-10, 12:34 PM   #2522
Politig
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Wella View Post
Hooray, a positive comment! Thanks Politig, I'm really liking it so far. I know what you mean about pixel fonts, and I usually enjoy them, especially the Hooge series, but I recently got kind of bored of the standard ones, so I decided to use a 'large' pixel font for these UFs. For the names, I'm using Aloft with an invisible health bar along with VirtualPlates to scale them according to their distance from the screen. It works really nicely, as I don't usually have the need to see the health of all nearby units, and the default name text is horribly illegible.

dr_AllCOM3, sorry to be rude, but I have never heard of you before nor seen that screenshot. It's forgivable to think someone has ripped you off when you believe to have invented a certain idea, but I'm afraid you didn't.

haylie, I think the word 'lol' is best suited to this situation. I'm assuming your comment is half-serious, so I'll explain. I recently got fed up with the whole UI business and just worked with the default UI with some functional modifications (sticky chat channels, for example), so I was used to the whole look-in-the-corner thing. I also learnt that all I need to know in a fight is my health, my opponent's health and my own buffs/debuffs, which are mostly visible through the game world itself. Because of this, I decided to try something new with my next UI. To be honest, if you compared this to a 'conventional' minimal UI, I can't see how mine would take any more silly eye-movement to see my health in comparison with the target's. To be honest, the frames are so wide that you can see the comparison out of the bottom of my eye. I sort of had the whole fighting-game UI in mind when I did this. So I'm sorry, but you simply cannot apply your logic to my playing style.
There's an oUF frame called oUF Hank. It shows health as a number but empties like a bar. Is it possible to do that with nameplates and their names?
It would be sweet I use caelNameplates since they are lightweight and seeing when things are about to die helps a bit.

06-16-10, 01:15 PM   #2523
Wella

Ah, now that is pretty damn awesome. I highly doubt that is possible with Aloft - I can't figure it out yet, anyway. That would indeed be a very good way of combining nameplates with unit names. Well, I'd still try Aloft if I were you - the most customizable nameplates mod out there, to be sure.
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa

06-16-10, 01:15 PM   #2524
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I wasn't being serious

Well, okay, I still think the UI is inefficient, but we've already established we have different goals in our UIs.

06-16-10, 01:15 PM   #2525
Wella

Originally Posted by haylie View Post
I wasn't being serious
...Blast you. Either way, my point still stands.
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa

06-16-10, 01:31 PM   #2526
Politig
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
...Blast you. Either way, my point still stands.
Is there a mod out there that can pop the unit names out without a nameplate addon?

06-16-10, 03:02 PM   #2527
Wella

Originally Posted by Politig View Post
Is there a mod out there that can pop the unit names out without a nameplate addon?
Not that I know of, I don't think it's possible/legal for an addon to modify the unit names. Shame, I wish there was one, too.
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa

06-16-10, 03:19 PM   #2528
Dawn
A Molten Giant

There's an oUF frame called oUF Hank. It shows health as a number but empties like a bar. Is it possible to do that with nameplates and their names?
It would be sweet I use caelNameplates since they are lightweight and seeing when things are about to die helps a bit.
That should be easily possible. dNamePlates adds health values to the plates, throw in an empty health bartexture and/or set it's alpha = 0, adjust the position of health value, name and level text and you're done.

It should also be possible with Aloft. Since it's capable of showing health values, too. Never used it, but from looking at it's screenshots...

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

06-16-10, 03:19 PM   #2529
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

Not that I know of, I don't think it's possible/legal for an addon to modify the unit names. Shame, I wish there was one, too.
im pretty sure if an addon can do it, its allowed. (except for the all knowing avr)

06-16-10, 03:19 PM   #2530
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
That should be easily possible. dNamePlates adds health values to the plates, throw in an empty health bartexture and/or set it's alpha = 0, adjust the position of health value, name and level text and you're done.

It should also be possible with Aloft. Since it's capable of showing health values, too. Never used it, but from looking at it's screenshots...
he said unit names, so im guessing with out nameplates.

06-16-10, 03:22 PM   #2531
Wella

Dawn, what he means is that the unit's current health percentage shows and the text itself is used as an upwards-filling bar for the health. He was specifically referring to oUF Hank.
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa

06-16-10, 03:23 PM   #2532
Dawn
A Molten Giant

A nameplate addon doesn't do anything more than changing the appearance of the nameplates. It takes what is already there and that's about it. Which leads to the conclusion that it's a no-brainer to hide everything, but the name from a nameplate ...

Oh and btw, you're a spammer Wella. quantity > quality, eh?

E: The way hank does it is just a visual plaything... and it would be possible to adapt that to a nameplate. I just don't see the point of it, except from the visual standpoint, ofc.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

Last edited by Dawn : 06-16-10 at 03:25 PM.

06-16-10, 03:42 PM   #2533
Wella

Spammer? If you mean in posts, I can hardly be called a spammer if I am simply replying to posts. I have no life, you know. As for the nameplates thing, it probably would be possible to pull the whole thing off, but not with Aloft, at least not without some handy behind-the-scenes magic.

Also, sorry it's a really late response maurdr, but the minimap addon I'm using is Chinchilla - however, I have also installed AI-Minimap and cut out the bits that modify the various icons, hence the (ugly) new mail triangle.

Update: Using Blizzard UI. Oh, how times change.
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa

06-16-10, 04:36 PM   #2534
maurdr
A Cliff Giant
Spammer? If you mean in posts, I can hardly be called a spammer if I am simply replying to posts. I have no life, you know. As for the nameplates thing, it probably would be possible to pull the whole thing off, but not with Aloft, at least not without some handy behind-the-scenes magic.

Also, sorry it's a really late response maurdr, but the minimap addon I'm using is Chinchilla - however, I have also installed AI-Minimap and cut out the bits that modify the various icons, hence the (ugly) new mail triangle.

Update: Using Blizzard UI. Oh, how times change.
ah ok thanks willa and i dont think your a spammer but like you said your a no lifer like myself.

06-16-10, 05:01 PM   #2535
Wella

I love you man, you've just nicknamed my next character.
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa

06-16-10, 05:18 PM   #2536
maurdr
A Cliff Giant
wewt glad i could be of service.

06-16-10, 05:27 PM   #2537
pHishr
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9...1710012130.jpg

THINGS ARE MISALIGNED/UNLOCKED. SO WHAT.

I'm feelin angry.

06-16-10, 05:28 PM   #2538
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

wishes he was a mod inc.

keep on topic fools

this is still one of my favorites

06-16-10, 05:29 PM   #2539
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by pHishr View Post
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9...1710012130.jpg

THINGS ARE MISALIGNED/UNLOCKED. SO WHAT.

I'm feelin angry.
looks like theres some misaligned frames thar.

throllface.jpg

06-16-10, 06:09 PM   #2540
Wella

Too damn tired to give any serious critique, so I'll just say pHishr, yours is, well, pretty damn nice. I like the whole rounded borders theme, but you might want to take the sparkle off the GCD timer on your icons, unless you can't change that (I guess it's the default one). A few shadows that are a bit too heavy and that player portrait is just unnecessary. Other than that, a nice UI!

Mankeluvsit, nice use of the font, at least you're not like "LOL I CAN USE EXPRESSWAY AND THAT BORDER TEXTURE I HAS GOOD UI". Nicely organised and has a general clean feeling to it, which is cool.
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Screen Shots of your UI...