10-20-10, 09:01 AM   #1
Aprikot
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
characterAmbient CVar removed?

The variable characterAmbient appears to have been removed in 4.0. Can anyone confirm this, and does anyone know if an equivalent substitute has been or will be implemented?

Also, can anyone point me to an up-to-date "how to" for getting a CVar list dump from the game?

I appreciate it. Thanks!
10-21-10, 10:35 AM   #2
Aprikot
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Aprikot View Post
does anyone know if an equivalent substitute has been or will be implemented?
Anyone?
10-22-10, 07:04 PM   #3
Sec
A Cyclonian

I don't have any technical insight, just my own observations. I hope this helps in some way.

I believe I understand what variable you are talking about. Up until 4.0, I used to use the addon called "Moonshine" to permanently remove character ambient.

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...Moonshine.html

When 4.0 hit and I started figuring out what addons were broken, I came to Moonshine and kept toggling it on and off. I went into Ironforge's Tram - specifically at the end of the line where there's not much lighting in a niche - and carefully examined my character. Regardless of whether or not Moonshine was enabled, the ambient glow provided by my wand pretty much had my character appearing like the right side of the screenshot included on Moonshine's description page.

I could only come to the conclusion that the variable was removed, thereby rendering Moonshine useless.

Again, this is just observation. I'm afraid I can't offer any help beyond that. I hope you're able to find out the information that you seek.
10-26-10, 10:09 AM   #4
Aprikot
A Frostmaul Preserver

My story is very similar. I would typically use a /console characterAmbient macro to disable. I had another with /console characterAmbient 1 loaded and would toggle between the two at times just to reinforce the striking visual difference. The game looks vastly better with it disabled (IMO).

It looks to me that the default level of ambient lighting is the same pre & post 4.0. I'm cautiously optimistic that the value is still configurable, and it's just a matter of finding the new variable name. I've even taken to spamming my console with some best guesses. :P

I would still love to know a good method for exporting a list of active CVars from the game.
10-31-10, 08:14 AM   #5
Aprikot
A Frostmaul Preserver

Blizzard sort of confirming removal of characterAmbient...

It looks like it's removed. I don't know the reasons, though
From http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...0&pageNo=9#175.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » characterAmbient CVar removed?