09-20-12, 03:45 PM   #61
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Dridzt View Post
(a) That's a whole lot of hoops to jump through to support someone else's addon.
(b) It is my understanding that they are still running a code obfuscator on their addon and not publishing the lua source they themselves are working with.
They've just adjusted it so it doesn't run afoul of Blizzard's addon policy in a very blatant and obvious way.

For that reason their lua code changes disproportionately between revisions and someone trying to fix the new one would have to start over duplicating all the work they did on the last one tracing functions and such.
(I'm assuming that's one of the reasons they still run an obfuscator on their code to discourage fan updates)
yeah what he's saying (i think) is to not even bother with the official releases, just keep fixing the fan one and bringing in the patches the official does to fix things not already fixed. Which is sort of what i've already been doing with the version that use to be here, and now the .08 release that can be found (and soon .09 when I get off my lazy ass). The problem is those updates have to stay underground instead of being out in the open for people to find and use, and it creates a rift between those using the fan and those using the official... then again that rift already exists right now.

But his suggestion is instead of keeping the new fan updates underground, supply .patch files against it... the fan releases are not obfuscated so it would work.... and a .patch file against something you have to find yourself is not breaking any rules since your not providing the original.

Last edited by Rythal : 09-20-12 at 03:48 PM.

09-20-12, 03:55 PM   #62
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Got it. (now)

09-20-12, 04:35 PM   #63
vixenkitsune
A Murloc Raider
having problem

ok the darn quest log jsut messed up on me im looking in the lua and im not finding any or hte lines listed to fix this im so completely lost also when i do a search for the line number it says out of range notpad is only showing max nubmer of lines as 2475 so what am i doing wrong i need the quest log fixed please

09-20-12, 11:40 PM   #64
razersharp
A Murloc Raider
Unhappy

When I left click to toggle the carbonte map the mini-wow map (in the upper right corner) doesn't show up anymore. Please help. I'm not a computer programmer btw so keep it simple. Thanks.

09-21-12, 01:33 AM   #65
razersharp
A Murloc Raider
Unhappy

I am having trouble with the Carbonite buttons getting thrown all over the screen when I'm in a dungeon and using heal bot 5.0.5.0 can someone help with this issue? The strange thing is it only happens on my elemental shaman.

Last edited by razersharp : 09-21-12 at 02:06 AM.

09-21-12, 09:12 AM   #66
Opa
A Murloc Raider
Wink

Rythal, thank you so much for fixing carbonite, you are a life saver. I just wish they would let you, or someone take over carbonite if they are not going to bother with it anymore. You are a sweetheart for doing this, again thank you so much.

09-21-12, 11:48 AM   #67
Yetizai
A Kobold Labourer
Could someone PM or email me the link to the Rythals fan update pls. [email protected]

09-21-12, 02:06 PM   #68
rhonaroo
A Kobold Labourer
for those of us that are not computer genius

Rythal,

although u have given us the code to fix the lua errors for very broken carbonite there are alot of us who are not computer geniuses and have no clue as to how to change the code ourselves and have to uninstall the program so that we can actually see quests and all this is there any way for someone to actually explain how to fix it??????? and if there is a fan page fix please email me the link please at [email protected] thx again Rythal for all the help u have prvided us all in the fixing of the broken carbonite

Last edited by rhonaroo : 09-21-12 at 02:16 PM.

09-21-12, 02:41 PM   #69
blackpups
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by rhonaroo View Post
Rythal,

although u have given us the code to fix the lua errors for very broken carbonite there are alot of us who are not computer geniuses and have no clue as to how to change the code ourselves and have to uninstall the program so that we can actually see quests and all this is there any way for someone to actually explain how to fix it??????? and if there is a fan page fix please email me the link please at [email protected] thx again Rythal for all the help u have prvided us all in the fixing of the broken carbonite
Go to the folder where your Carbonite add-on is located. By default it is in your Program Files, World of Warcraft/Interface/Add Ons.

In the Carbonite folder, find the Carbonite.lua file. Open it in Notepad.

Use the find and replace feature of Notepad to make the changes outlined in Post #35 in this thread:

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...0&postcount=35

Save the file after all changes are made.

09-21-12, 09:55 PM   #70
WallyWest
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thanks Rythal. Seems to be working fine for the moment. Count me in as someone who would love to hear about any future addons you create yourself.

09-23-12, 02:49 AM   #71
williamb
A Murloc Raider
still not working

Hi
I tried to modifia the carbonite.lua and is still not working for my french version. I have a lot of errors et nothing appear on my screen.
Do you have any info for that?
Many thanks

09-23-12, 07:38 AM   #72
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Probably a localization problem. Try searching these forums for "French localization".

09-23-12, 10:19 AM   #73
pacasa
A Kobold Labourer
hmm, i installed carbonite and tried to change the lua with a notepad.
doesnt work. i download the file from jovenyoung (and of course i changed the ending from txt to lua) but this doent help too.

Originally Posted by Appleptiker View Post
DUDE!!! You have changed my life. It is finaly working with the german client. I don't know how to thank you.

Worktrough i did:
Installed Carbonite 5.041
Fixed Carbonite.lua with Rythals posted Changes with Notepad C++
Replaced Cabonite 5.041 localization.lua with Rythals localization.lua

That's it! Maybe it will work with French and Spanish versions.

Thx again Rythal

where can i find this localization.lua from rythal?

//edit
find it now on rythals homepage.

thanx rythal, great job!!

Last edited by pacasa : 09-23-12 at 10:32 AM.

09-24-12, 08:18 PM   #74
jktz122
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
unfortunatly i cant fix the one line or 2 i cant even open up lua files .. can someone tell me how to go back to rythals version of carbonite?

09-24-12, 10:28 PM   #75
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Find it Here.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

09-24-12, 11:08 PM   #76
Jaysperry
A Kobold Labourer
how do i fix?

Message: Interface\AddOns\Carbonite\Carbonite.lua:6796: GetAchievementCrieriaInfo(achievementID, criteriaIndex), criteria not found
Time: 09/25/12 00:57:22
Count: 3299
Stack: [C]: in function `GetAchievementCriteriaInfo'
Interface\AddOns\Carbonite\Carbonite.lua:6796: in function `GZA'
Interface\AddOns\Carbonite\Carbonite.lua:5320: in function `UpL1'
Interface\AddOns\Carbonite\Carbonite.lua:1643: in function `F'
Interface\AddOns\Carbonite\Carbonite.lua:26105: in function `OnU'
Interface\AddOns\Carbonite\Carbonite.lua:14170: in function `NXOnUpdate'
[string "*:OnUpdate"]:1: in function <[string "*:OnUpdate"]:1>

Locals: (*temporary) = 4898
(*temporary) = 1

09-24-12, 11:17 PM   #77
Maeby
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by nightshade68 View Post
I still have Rythal's update installed. If I install 5.041 and do the fixes in this thread, will the result be better or worse then Rythal's version?
This is my question as well.

09-25-12, 02:23 AM   #78
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Maeby View Post
This is my question as well.
I might be bias'd but i'd say better... scenario tracking, challenge mode timers, panda maps, group questing works...

09-27-12, 11:42 AM   #79
mcaran
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
I might be bias'd but i'd say better... scenario tracking, challenge mode timers, panda maps, group questing works...
They are working partially for me. Anyway, Rythal did a good work. I can help a lot if somebody explains me how carbonite is coded.

09-27-12, 07:05 PM   #80
jktz122
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
i'm in pandaland but a lot of quests are not in the database so carbonite isnt helping .. i wish it did its one of the best add ons pre mop

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Roll Your Own Fixes for 5.041