11-12-16, 12:45 PM   #1
Lombra
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Order dependent frame methods?

Hi,

I am working on a project where arbitrary frame attributes will be set in an undefined order (hash table), and wonder what attributes need to be set in a certain order for things to work properly.

For example, a parent must be set before anchors are, since an anchor may use the parent. That's the only example I have thought of, so far. I'm only concerned with "attribute" methods, ie anything found in XML, and not things like Show, Raise or SetUserPlaced.
11-12-16, 01:54 PM   #2
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Unless a template uses an OnAttributeChanged handler to operate when a specific attribute is set, I wouldn't worry about it. Aside from those specific situations, attributes aren't even accessed until a user triggers code to reference them.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 11-12-16 at 01:57 PM.
11-12-16, 02:48 PM   #3
Lombra
A Molten Giant

Sorry, I don't mean attributes as in SetAttribute; just general object properties such as SetSize, SetColor, SetAlpha, etc.
11-12-16, 06:39 PM   #4
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I don't think it matters either way. When it comes to groups of settings, a frame won't show until it has a size and position; can't respond to events until it has an event registered and a handler; can't respond to clicks until it's enabled and has an associated handler; etc. In the long run, frames don't care what order you apply their settings in as long as everything is accounted for when you're done setting them up.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 11-12-16 at 06:44 PM.
11-13-16, 09:22 AM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

The specific example you mentioned -- SetParent before SetPoint -- is the only one I can think of where the order might matter, but you can easily make the order of those two not matter by specifying all of the point data explicitly. Instead of something like "TOP, 0, -100", do "TOP, UIParent, TOP, 0, -100".

If you have a GUI for users to change these properties, and you want to make sure the frame is always positioned relative to its parent, the code that handles user input should automatically update the point data when the parent is changed.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Order dependent frame methods?