08-18-09, 02:08 AM   #1
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Having Several Problems with the Combat Log

I installed nUI+ earlier tonight and I have to say, everything looks and works great EXCEPT for the combat log window. Before I get started I'll note that the only additional nUI plugin I have installed is nUI_Config_GUI.

I have two separate problems with the combat log.

1. The problem is that the combat log will NOT dock correctly on the left side. I did a search in the forums here looking for an answer and, among others, found the one about unlocking the left/right side chat windows, and then moving the combat log (chat 2) over to the left side. It didn't work.

What happens is that the combat log window docks itself inside of the left chat window, putting its title tab inside of the window, down a couple of lines and over to the right side, instead of on top of the window like it should. Moving the guild window (chat 3) over to the left side works just fine, it docks without a problem, but chat 2 refuses to dock correctly.

I deleted the lua files to force a reset to the default setup, and immediately noticed that the combat log is also incorrectly docking itself on the right side. I completely uninstalled the addon and all of its lua files in the WTF SavedVariables directories and started from scratch. That didn't work, as the combat log still would not dock correctly on either side of the panels.

What happens on the right side is that the Chat 2 and Chat 3 title tabs sit on top of each other. Chat 3 is properly docked, but Chat 2 is not.

My attempts to fix the problem were done with all plugins disabled except for nUI and nUI_Config. That didn't fix the problem, but it at least eliminated my other addons as the source of the problem.

2. The next problem I saw was with the scrolling of text in the combat log. The text is scrolling completely over the "Self Everything" line making it impossible to change from one setting to the other when a lot is going on, along with making that line of text difficult to read. This happens regardless of which side of the screen combat log is placed. In addition, with the mouse cursor inside the combat log window, the scroll up/down buttons sit directly over the text where they're placed on the left side of the chat window, which completely obscures the text underneath the buttons.

---

I've tried every solution I could find in the nUI forums and none of them have worked. I can dock/undock the other chat windows without a problem, it's only the combat log that is screwing up.

Hopefully the author has seen this problem before and has a solution, as it's driving me nuts. I really, _really_, want the combat log on the left side so I can have general and guild chat running at the same time, while keeping the combat chat window around for occasional use.

Other than that, everything else is working great, much better than the hodgepodge of other addons I had installed to do _mostly_ the same thing. Heh, your action bar setup is distinctly better organized than Bartender, and makes nUI worth using just for that alone. My addon list significantly shrank, and loading times were much improved at login, once I finished fiddling around with nUI. Between nUI and Carbonite just about everything is covered.

Great job...

08-18-09, 04:16 AM   #2
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The combat log is *supposed* to be docked in the information panel on the right side of the display, not on the left side. If you're having problems with it not docking correctly, make sure you don't have the "Simple Chat" option turned on in the Blizz options.

The issue with the combat log text overlapping the filter bar is a known issue that comes up from time to time for which there is no fix at present. I'm working on it.

Originally Posted by Coasty View Post
I installed nUI+ earlier tonight and I have to say, everything looks and works great EXCEPT for the combat log window. Before I get started I'll note that the only additional nUI plugin I have installed is nUI_Config_GUI.

I have two separate problems with the combat log.

1. The problem is that the combat log will NOT dock correctly on the left side. I did a search in the forums here looking for an answer and, among others, found the one about unlocking the left/right side chat windows, and then moving the combat log (chat 2) over to the left side. It didn't work.

What happens is that the combat log window docks itself inside of the left chat window, putting its title tab inside of the window, down a couple of lines and over to the right side, instead of on top of the window like it should. Moving the guild window (chat 3) over to the left side works just fine, it docks without a problem, but chat 2 refuses to dock correctly.

I deleted the lua files to force a reset to the default setup, and immediately noticed that the combat log is also incorrectly docking itself on the right side. I completely uninstalled the addon and all of its lua files in the WTF SavedVariables directories and started from scratch. That didn't work, as the combat log still would not dock correctly on either side of the panels.

What happens on the right side is that the Chat 2 and Chat 3 title tabs sit on top of each other. Chat 3 is properly docked, but Chat 2 is not.

My attempts to fix the problem were done with all plugins disabled except for nUI and nUI_Config. That didn't fix the problem, but it at least eliminated my other addons as the source of the problem.

2. The next problem I saw was with the scrolling of text in the combat log. The text is scrolling completely over the "Self Everything" line making it impossible to change from one setting to the other when a lot is going on, along with making that line of text difficult to read. This happens regardless of which side of the screen combat log is placed. In addition, with the mouse cursor inside the combat log window, the scroll up/down buttons sit directly over the text where they're placed on the left side of the chat window, which completely obscures the text underneath the buttons.

---

I've tried every solution I could find in the nUI forums and none of them have worked. I can dock/undock the other chat windows without a problem, it's only the combat log that is screwing up.

Hopefully the author has seen this problem before and has a solution, as it's driving me nuts. I really, _really_, want the combat log on the left side so I can have general and guild chat running at the same time, while keeping the combat chat window around for occasional use.

Other than that, everything else is working great, much better than the hodgepodge of other addons I had installed to do _mostly_ the same thing. Heh, your action bar setup is distinctly better organized than Bartender, and makes nUI worth using just for that alone. My addon list significantly shrank, and loading times were much improved at login, once I finished fiddling around with nUI. Between nUI and Carbonite just about everything is covered.

Great job...

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

08-18-09, 03:25 PM   #3
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
The combat log is *supposed* to be docked in the information panel on the right side of the display, not on the left side. If you're having problems with it not docking correctly, make sure you don't have the "Simple Chat" option turned on in the Blizz options.

The issue with the combat log text overlapping the filter bar is a known issue that comes up from time to time for which there is no fix at present. I'm working on it.
Hope you find the fix soon then.

I have "Simple Chat" turned off, and the combat log still won't dock correctly on the left side. It keeps putting itself completely 'inside' the General Chat window, tab and all. As I said, the Guild Chat will dock just fine on the left side, but the Combat Log will not. If you have any other thoughts or suggestions on to get it to dock I'd love to hear them.

Is the Combat Log NOT docking correctly on the right side, but rather sitting on top of the Guild Chat window along with both Title Tabs visibly displayed on top of each other when the Combat Log is active also a known problem? I ask because this is the exact same problem as its not docking on the left side.

Heh, yeah, I knew the combat logs default location is on the right side, but I swim against the stream cause that it is the exact opposite of what my preferred 'default location' is. I want it on the left side, not the right, and the fixes found in the forum aren't working. Maybe you could make that a configurable option as, going by some of the posts I saw in the forum, I'm not the only one who prefers it on the left side. As for the filter bar text being overlapped, actually that isn't really a big deal as you don't change the filter options all that often, at least I don't, definitely a minor bug.

Last edited by Coasty : 08-18-09 at 03:27 PM.

08-18-09, 04:54 PM   #4
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I'm not aware of anyone else having issues with the chat frame on the right side in the info panels... which isn't to say there aren't any, I just haven't heard from them. I can tell you that nUI is unforgiving with regard to the location of the combat log... it doesn't expect you to move it and will certainly move it back every time you reload or log. It will be more configurable in the futuer, but is decidedly not at present.

I'm curious... if you turn off the guild chat info plugin, does the combat log problem resolve itself (with regard to its location in the info panel).

08-18-09, 07:42 PM   #5
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I'm not aware of anyone else having issues with the chat frame on the right side in the info panels... which isn't to say there aren't any, I just haven't heard from them. I can tell you that nUI is unforgiving with regard to the location of the combat log... it doesn't expect you to move it and will certainly move it back every time you reload or log. It will be more configurable in the futuer, but is decidedly not at present.

I'm curious... if you turn off the guild chat info plugin, does the combat log problem resolve itself (with regard to its location in the info panel).
As a matter of fact, I don't know, but I will in a minute. I forgot I had that installed when I was testing, at least I thought I'd turned it off but since you just mentioned it I looked and it was turned on. So will go check that right now...

The answer is no, it still won't dock correctly on the left side. On the right side the answer is yes, once I realized positioning of the window was paramount. So, the problem I mentioned with the scroll buttons was my fault as I once I positioned the window correctly the buttons moved back over to the left side of the combat log window where they belonged, instead of being on the right side on top of text. Heh, so that's one thing fixed.

As for the chat window, well, it helps if you have the guild chat addon turned off before opening mouth and inserting foot. Other than that, I did another total reset of nUI (removing lua's etc) and the problem with the tab titles overlapping each other (this is with the guild chat addon installed) seems to have fixed itself. I have no clue why the first reset-to-defaults didn't fix it, but alls well that ends well.

I'd still would like a fix some time in the near future that would let me dock the combat log on the left side, but I can live with it on the right side until you get around to it.

One more thing you could help with though, is how to turn off the trade skill spam showing up in the combat log. Yesterday, while looking over the posts about the combat log, I saw a quick blurb about how to turn it off, but today I can't find the blasted post that info was in. Could you please repeat how to turn it off?

Last edited by Coasty : 08-18-09 at 07:49 PM.

08-19-09, 04:24 AM   #6
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Coasty View Post
One more thing you could help with though, is how to turn off the trade skill spam showing up in the combat log. Yesterday, while looking over the posts about the combat log, I saw a quick blurb about how to turn it off, but today I can't find the blasted post that info was in. Could you please repeat how to turn it off?
THat's a Blizz bug that's annoying the you-know-what out of everyone. If you saw a blurb on how to lose that, it didn't come from me because I don't know how to do it either and would love to be rid of it.

08-19-09, 08:44 AM   #7
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
THat's a Blizz bug that's annoying the you-know-what out of everyone. If you saw a blurb on how to lose that, it didn't come from me because I don't know how to do it either and would love to be rid of it.
I wish I could find that post again. When I saw it, I followed the advice and found a setting for the combat log labeled as Trade Skill with a check box option to turn it on and off. I turned it off and, it worked, the trade skill spam stopped. Unfortunately, an hour or so later I had a power brownout that crashed the system so the setting wasn't saved. The problem is, I can't remember if that option was a WoW option or an addon option and, whichever the case, I'm damned if I can find that option setting again. If it was an addon then I guess it was one I re-installed after nUI and then promptly un-installed if nUI made it redundant, which was a whole bunch of them as my addon list is now half the size it used to be.

Heh, while I'm thinking of it, after many game exits and re-logins today, while fiddling with addons and addon settings, I noticed that every once in a while nUI's button bag lost track of the minimap buttons and let Carbonite take over the placement of the buttons again, which only lasts until the next time the UI is reloaded. I actually consider that a good thing, and a bonus for me, as I like that vertical placement of the buttons on the right side of the screen. It'd be nice if you made the handling of the minimap buttons optional for Carbonite users if the user has chosen the Carbonite option to separate the buttons from the minimap. The button bag works fine, but I like the Carbonite way of handling them. Heh, it's a matter of laziness, as it takes a _WHOLE_ extra mouse click to get to the buttons. Seriously though, it'd be nice if you made that a user option.

Last edited by Coasty : 08-19-09 at 08:50 AM.

08-19-09, 09:28 AM   #8
spiel2001
nUI's Author

One of the conscious decisions and embedded design philosophies of nUI from day one is that it is designed to replace a slew of other addons and features... it has never been and never will be designed to turn the feature off in nUI so it can be replaced by the same feature in another mod... that is in direct contradiction to what nUI is.

The bottom line to me is that if the user wants to use a collection of other mods to do what nUI does, then use the collection. nUI is intended to tightly integrate all those functions in the most efficient way it can, making it possible to turn off this, than and the other piece of nUI means having to allow for the decoupling in the design which undermines its efficiency and reliability while exponentially increasing its complexity.

So... bottom line answer any time someone asks me to make it possible to turn off any feature that is part of nUI so they can use another mod to do that is always -- No.

Sorry.

08-19-09, 01:41 PM   #9
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
So... bottom line answer any time someone asks me to make it possible to turn off any feature that is part of nUI so they can use another mod to do that is always -- No.

Sorry.
Heh, that's the answer I expected to get, but, what the heck!!

If you don't ask you never find out what might be possible.

OH, one last item...

If I ever find that option setting again for turning off the Trade Skill spam, I'll be sure to post the information in the support forum.

Thanks for the replies...

Last edited by Coasty : 08-19-09 at 01:44 PM.

08-19-09, 04:43 PM   #10
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

to turn off trade skill in combat log just right click the frame and then go into the options and uncheck trade

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » Having Several Problems with the Combat Log