03-30-12, 02:56 AM   #1
feraldrood
A Theradrim Guardian

interface community?

WHERE'D EVERYONE GO?

man, I leave for a sec. and there's no more ui design discussion/debate, or "look at my shiny ui" threads anymore. I mean, yes everything is still here and i recognize some of the old hats (still doing cool stuff guys) but it feels like some creepy deserted town where theres no more community.

my spider senses are telling me the ui community is just fu**ed- lich king/2nd half of bc were the golden days.

is it just me though? help lol

Last edited by feraldrood : 03-30-12 at 03:00 AM. Reason: articulating
03-30-12, 03:08 AM   #2
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I've sensed similar, things seemed to start quieting down towards the end of LK and into Cata. Hell, the same thing happened to my friends list (was 20+ in LK, now 3 in Cata)
03-30-12, 03:09 AM   #3
lerb
A Frostmaul Preserver

I think the most active people here got their heads in the beta right now, trying to be one step ahead so that some addons will work when the expansion hits It's not a tiny piece of work.

And yeah, while cataclysm has been going on blizzard have lost a big number of subscribers, and the community too for sure, even if it's not as many.

And I'd like to say the community is rolling on good, it's been competitions and forum posts and updated/new compilations like always, there's just not as many posts in the 'here's my UI'-threads Which got their own part of the forums now btw!
03-30-12, 01:51 PM   #4
Stanzilla
An Aku'mai Servant
I think the re-organization of this forum kinda killed the mood. Before everyone could just throw some shots in the thread and get feedback, now it's all complicated and one has to provide a proper thread etc. and of course the fact that world of warcraft is slowly dying.
03-30-12, 02:15 PM   #5
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Stanzilla View Post
I think the re-organization of this forum kinda killed the mood. Before everyone could just throw some shots in the thread and get feedback, now it's all complicated and one has to provide a proper thread etc. and of course the fact that world of warcraft is slowly dying.
No, that would be you. I'm still having fun twisting the knife, though.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
03-30-12, 02:18 PM   #6
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I put up a poll for everyone to vote on.
03-30-12, 02:27 PM   #7
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
...put a poll up.
03-30-12, 02:28 PM   #8
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
/me pokes the dolby
03-30-12, 02:30 PM   #9
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
How many polls do you plan on putting up?
03-30-12, 02:37 PM   #10
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I'm gonna put YOU up - right upside the head!
03-30-12, 02:49 PM   #11
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Admin fight! *grabs popcorn*
03-30-12, 03:28 PM   #12
lerb
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Nibelheim View Post
Admin fight! *grabs popcorn*
*Joins in with 3D-glasses*
03-30-12, 04:01 PM   #13
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
I feel what you're saying in this thread, OP. I've seen the same with my realm on WoW for the past few months - nothing lasts forever, as much as you'd wish you could go back to the good old days.

Some have left, some just lost motivation but are still around. Perhaps the surge of ideas is simply over.

However, there'll always be new people, as times moves on. Things won't be the same, but that doesn't mean that everything is gone. On WoW as of the past few weeks, I've seen activity rising again, with new people joining in and a few of the old ones coming back. The same can apply to the UI community.

MoP is sure to draw the attention of addon authors at least, because they'll need to fix everything once again.

Unnecessarily lengthy reply perhaps, but the "good old days" are always something that matter to me.
03-30-12, 04:56 PM   #14
Waky
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I really wish Blizz would drop the subscription cost to $10/mo, I'm sure they'd stop losing as many subscribers each quarter. It'd definitely revive the game, but they'd have to hold the load of more people joining again.
03-31-12, 12:19 AM   #15
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Stanzilla View Post
I think the re-organization of this forum kinda killed the mood.
A few years ago (nearly) every ui posted looked different ... today there are just two or three directions.

But I have the feeling that uploads are rising again
03-31-12, 09:51 AM   #16
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Back before I quit (right before Cata came out) I was so fed up with WoW that the only reason I even played anymore was to fiddle with my UI. I know a few people who were in the same boat, or who only farmed achievements/rare mounts etc.

People aren't bored of UIs, they're bored of WoW.

/obligatory rant about how every UI looks the same, the good old days, etc.
03-31-12, 10:00 AM   #17
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

The UI community isn't even close to what it used to be back in late TBC/early WotLK.

I feel that TukUI, while a great UI, shot the creative UI community in the face and now we have a horribly disfigured abomination instead of the amazing community we used to have.
If the shot to the face wasn't bad enough, Cataclysm decided to burn the abomination, further destroying it.

I'm hoping Mists of Pandaria brings it back. I miss the days when there were new quality posts daily on several boards instead of the "1 good UI posted per month" **** we have going on now.

Rant over.

Also, as for the poll question, why not do both? Let us have our "Post your UI" thread in this very forum and see how that works out. I feel as if you're doing it "the blizzard way" where there have to be one or the other, and never the middle ground. Try it out and see how it feels!
03-31-12, 05:35 PM   #18
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Wimpface View Post
Also, as for the poll question, why not do both? Let us have our "Post your UI" thread in this very forum and see how that works out. I feel as if you're doing it "the blizzard way" where there have to be one or the other, and never the middle ground. Try it out and see how it feels!
That has always been an option. If people choose to do that, we aren't going to stop them. The poll was just to see if everyone just wants to get rid of the forum entirely.
04-01-12, 08:01 AM   #19
kkam
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

In my opinion, the fact that nowadays all-in-one UIs are almost too good has done its part to the "quieter time" of the UI design community. Not that that is bad or anything, I rather have my friends use TukUI than their own bottompanel-stasheverythingthere-notevenviewport-setups

There are all-in-one user interfaces for pretty much everyone's taste, but it's a lot harder to personalize them if you compare them to the old "create your own perfect UI just by picking the best AddOns and WTF files from your favourite UIs" method which works (relatively) effortlessly only with standalone AddOns.

/justmy2cents

Last edited by kkam : 04-01-12 at 08:03 AM.
04-02-12, 12:47 AM   #20
feraldrood
A Theradrim Guardian

Sounds so goody goody but i really wonder what would happen if the community as a whole just started feeling (hypothetically) how they felt in those "good old days" (allowing for subjective relativity err perception) ... Then would the UI design, not to mention the greater wow community just spring back to life with the influx of good vibes and general sense of novelty? I mean to ask; was it the way you felt more than the stuff you did that got you to enjoy and innovate user experience?

I'm no guru- I can't tell you how to be positive but fu**ing try hard to do it, wow needs it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm_-sW4Vktw

Cool thread- thanks

*rides off into sunset*

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » interface community?