11-13-10, 02:15 PM   #1
zippo138
A Kobold Labourer
Vent Integration?

First, if I've mirrored this request I'm sorry I looked over all the past posts and couldn't find anything relating to Vent.

Vent is in many ways a "can't live without" program. What sucks is there is no in game access or integration at all. It would be amazing if nUI could put Vent info/access in the side window like it does with recount. It would make knowing who's talking a lot simpler, as well as changing channels & and adjusting certain peoples volume levels.
I'm aware that you can now have vent overlay WoW, but that's ugly and clumsy. Being able to access from in game would be amazing!

11-13-10, 02:25 PM   #2
♫Dîåbolîcål!♫
A Defias Bandit
♫ I've had the same idea since i started using Carbonite, they could possably compare the Carbonite map with the minimap in games like Call Of duty, That show minimap icons around the player talking.

I supposrt this idea haha. Make it happen! =d

11-13-10, 02:29 PM   #3
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Once you find a way for vent and wow to access each others data the rest will be easy

One of my guildies used to use an addon that had vent details as an overlay but unfortunately it used the games 3D environment to draw the details on the screen. This ability was removed several patches back because people were using the same ability to get the game to tell people where exactly to go when in a raid rather than tell them what is happening and let them think what to do about it.

So, I reiterate what I said above, if you know of any existing addon that currently works with 4.0 and displays live vent details as they happen I should be able to hook up an infopanel for you.

11-13-10, 03:11 PM   #4
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by zippo138 View Post
It would be amazing if nUI could put Vent info/access in the side window like it does with recount. It would make knowing who's talking a lot simpler, as well as changing channels & and adjusting certain peoples volume levels.
I'm aware that you can now have vent overlay WoW, but that's ugly and clumsy. Being able to access from in game would be amazing!

You'll just have to live with the Vent overlay, because it is not legitimately possible for WoW to interact with 3rd party applications. Forcing it to do so is also against the ToU, and is likely to result in an account ban.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".

11-13-10, 05:50 PM   #5
Osirismd
A Kobold Labourer

Question Ventrilo vs. World of Warcraft Voice Chat

Although I'm a fan of Ventrilo (ver 3.0.5 - 64-bit), I have found that World of Warcraft's built-in voice chat works great; once it's been set up correctly and executed. I preferred it over Ventrilo for several personal reasons, but that joy came to a screeching hault as of Patch 4.0! Blizzard's buggiest patch since I can remember (WoW junkie since Fall of 2005, <Bow, Bow>).

Having used both voice-chat programs for a period of time, I would like to offer up my own (humble) pros and cons list of both apps. I hope it helps someone/anyone out there, and perhaps stir up some conversation or honest debate about which one is truly the champ.

Ventrilo
Pros: Very customizable, loaded with features, and comes equipped with several codecs giving the user lots of versions of voice-over-game programming which allows for support for several sound card manufacturers and types (i.e. Built-in sound cards vs seperate sound cards for professional/advanced sound card enthusiasts).

Cons: Intimidating to the less-than-savvy computer users/gamers out there that go into Ventrilo's [Setup] and are immediately challenged by the dozens of tabs, buttons and selections that make Ventrilo so popular to elitist gamers out there!

World of Warcraft Voice Chat
Pros: Simple setup and options making it a quick and painless setup. It sounds crisp, clear and uses less RAM then Ventrilo does (probably due to the fact that it's already built into WoW and not a separate entity). And due to the fact that it's built-in to the game, WoW Voice should, in theory, reduce the amount of programming conflicts and bandwidth problems that have been reported in Ventrilo. Lastly, users can create and edit the names of voice channels on the fly, and it's so easy to setup and use that my 9 year old son (at the time) was able to get it set up and working without any help from others.

Cons: Because of WoW Voice's simple setup, it doesn't have anywhere near the customizability that Ventrilo has, or the kind of support and popularity that Ventrilo gets. Additionally, Blizzard itself (and addon creators) haven't shown much support for its own creation since its release, even though Blizzard has acknowledged and responded to reports from players (me included) of an annoying bug that's existed since day 1 which kills the ability to hear and speak to others once you switch to another character without totally logging out of the game first.

On a side note, Blizzard has reported that they plan to have WoW Voice streamlined by the release of Cataclysm, offering up some bug fixes, customizability, and some real competition for Ventrilo and its faithful followers.

I'll get down from this box now. Anyone have any comments, complaints, questions, veggies/fruits to throw, etc? Thanks for your attention, all!

Osiris

Osirismd [Blackhand]
80 Troll Rogue [Combat/Assassination]
New Age Dawning [GL]
5744 [GS]

11-13-10, 11:57 PM   #6
Chmee
A Molten Giant
There are actually four voice solutions of which I'm aware: Vent, WoW Voice, Teamspeak, and Mumble. Of the four, I've found Mumble to be most reliable, clear and easy to set up. My guild (Soulbound, Inc., Perenolde-US) switched from Vent to Mumble some time ago, and we haven't looked back.

That said, I think that if Blizz gets a few more kinks out of WoW Voice, it would be a good way to go, too.

11-14-10, 12:02 AM   #7
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
My brother uses mumble too. In fact he has his own mumble server on one of our webservers. He offered me the use of it for our guild when I had to cancel ours due to lack of funds but when I looked at it from a user point of view and knowing most of the guild personally I realised it was too much for us to use so my fiance went out and bought a vent server for us to use instead.

11-27-10, 09:27 PM   #8
bolawalker
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Thumbs up Dolby Axon

There is also Dolby Axon now also.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Suggestion Box » Vent Integration?