04-29-08, 06:39 AM   #1
chimaera
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Searching for a simple unit-frame addon

Hallo,

I'm looking for a simple unit-frame-addon. I don't need (want) group or party frames, nothing to support me healing, dispelling or any fancy stuff. Basically I want to replace the default-frames for player, target, t-o-t, pet and mybe focus for better overview. The default target and pet-frames for example are hardly readable with MobHealth enabled and the portraits just don't offer relevant information.

I used AG_Unitframes for a while and tried Pitbull just yesterday but find them far to blown for my liking.

Any suggestions?
04-29-08, 07:18 AM   #2
damorn
A Murloc Raider
have you tried x-perl?
04-29-08, 07:21 AM   #3
Akryn
A Firelord
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by chimaera View Post
Hallo,

I'm looking for a simple unit-frame-addon. I don't need (want) group or party frames, nothing to support me healing, dispelling or any fancy stuff. Basically I want to replace the default-frames for player, target, t-o-t, pet and mybe focus for better overview. The default target and pet-frames for example are hardly readable with MobHealth enabled and the portraits just don't offer relevant information.

I used AG_Unitframes for a while and tried Pitbull just yesterday but find them far to blown for my liking.

Any suggestions?
use pitbull and disable all of the modules
04-29-08, 07:33 AM   #4
chimaera
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Akryn View Post
use pitbull and disable all of the modules
"I don't wanna use Pitbull." - "Use Pitbull." Ahh. Very clever.

Originally Posted by damorn View Post
have you tried x-perl?
No, I haven't, it smells as bloated as they come, might give it a shot, though.
04-29-08, 08:06 AM   #5
Akryn
A Firelord
"I don't wanna use Pitbull." - "Use Pitbull." Ahh. Very clever.
you said:

tried Pitbull just yesterday but find them far to blown
and i told you how to make it not "to blown"
04-29-08, 08:57 AM   #6
khangg
An Aku'mai Servant
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
You could try any of the oUF addons and disable the party via lua.

oUF_Kosken

In that link are links to other layouts that may suit your likings.

There are also a million HUDs out nowadays, but I personally don't like them so I don't know the names of any.

You could always just stick to the default unitframes and scale them up using FluidFrames
04-29-08, 09:10 AM   #7
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

You can also use an "enhanced" version of the default UnitFrames. Choices include BUFX and SimpleUnitFrames (found on WoWAce). Essentially these are all based on the layout from the old Gypsy Unit Frames mod which was to move the HP/MP numerical display off the HP/MP bars and to the right of the frame.

BUFX:

You can further enhance the default Unit Frames with a pair of mods called StatusQuo (allows you to change the bar texture) and StatusColour (colors the HP bar by class

StatusColour and StatusQuo together:

Last edited by Zyonin : 04-29-08 at 09:17 AM. Reason: To fix my code errors and to add pictures
04-29-08, 09:59 AM   #8
chimaera
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thanks for the repiles so far, that gives me something to work with. I'm using SimpleUnitFrames already, I'll try to spice it up a little

And Akyrn, sorry if I sounded too harsh earlier, but I sometimes get like that if the obvious is stated. Having said that, of course I was looking into PitPull's options and I'm very aware of its modular approach, but still.. "too bloated". An addon where I have to disable 19 of the 20 available options is probably not the one I'm looking for.

/edit
Another thing I found irritating was the fact that Pitbull wouldn't let me select the bar-texture I also use for Omen. It seems I have to install some MediaLib for that although it already has to be on my system..

Last edited by chimaera : 04-29-08 at 10:02 AM.
04-29-08, 10:10 AM   #9
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

You can also try Sage. It's good if you just want something simple.
04-29-08, 10:10 AM   #10
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

/edit
Another thing I found irritating was the fact that Pitbull wouldn't let me select the bar-texture I also use for Omen. It seems I have to install some MediaLib for that although it already has to be on my system..

Here is the issue with SharedMedia, there are three version of SharedMediaLib/LibSharedMedia (2.0, 3.0) Pitbull currently uses the older LibSharedMedia 2.0 while Omen uses LibSharedMedia 3.0. You would need both LSH 2.0 and LSH 3.0 as well as SharedMedia

LSH is the library part that the mods use to access and use textures

SharedMedia is where LSH (all versions) pulls the textures from. Its merely "storage" for LSH.
04-29-08, 11:52 AM   #11
dodzilla
A Defias Bandit
I was about to start a very similar thread. It's not my intention to hijack this one, but I think it makes sense to ask here.

I'm also looking for a very light weight unit frame addon that is visually configurable via some sort of formatting code/script. Mainly I want to lose the portrait bubble and put more text with it, more like the player tooltip. (A focus frame would be a definate plus.)

I tried x-perl and felt like it was trying to do too much. (Plus bugs and not being able to make the mana bar fatter.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and I'd be interested to know what chimaera ends up liking.
04-29-08, 01:02 PM   #12
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by dodzilla View Post
I was about to start a very similar thread. It's not my intention to hijack this one, but I think it makes sense to ask here.

I'm also looking for a very light weight unit frame addon that is visually configurable via some sort of formatting code/script. Mainly I want to lose the portrait bubble and put more text with it, more like the player tooltip. (A focus frame would be a definate plus.)

I tried x-perl and felt like it was trying to do too much. (Plus bugs and not being able to make the mana bar fatter.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and I'd be interested to know what chimaera ends up liking.
Sounds like you are looking for something like Nurfed or oUF, currently neither have any kind of in-game setup (and oUF will mostly like never have any kind of in game config), however both are lightweight and can be customized. I have used both and I can vouch for both. Nurfed is in the process of being rewritten for patch 2.4. If you are looking for something more "tag" based in terms of setup then either Pitbull or Discord Unit Frames are that type of mod. However neither are lightweight and DUF may be squirrely as the original developer is no longer maintaining so its being patched by fans. ag_UnitFrames also is customizable, to some degree in game, more advanced setup needs to be done in lua (to the best of my knowledge, don't quote me )

More info or downloads:

Nurfed: http://forums.nurfed.com/index.php
- Download: http://www.nurfedui.net/

oUF: http://www.wowace.com/forums/index.php?topic=10696.0 (mostly in regards to creating layouts for oUF)
- Download: http://ixo.no/git/oUF.git/snapshot/oUF-master.zip
There are several layouts that have been uploaded to WoWI, I would recommend downloading a couple and then tear em apart to see how they are put together. p3lim's is a good one for this as he has placed helpful comments in the code so you know what the heck that line or group of lines is supposed to do.

Pitbull: http://www.wowace.com/wiki/PitBull, http://www.wowace.com/forums/index.php?topic=8435.0
- Download: http://files.wowace.com/PitBull/PitBull

Discord Unit Frames http://underworldexodus.com/forum/

/ramble
Seems I should find some some webspace and right up a big comparison of the most popular mods plus links and such.

Last edited by Zyonin : 04-29-08 at 01:11 PM.
04-29-08, 01:07 PM   #13
chimaera
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Doesn't matter how I bend it, I can't get the blizzard-frames to display the info I require properly so I can resolve it on a quick glance. The bars are too slim, the name-field too wide. I'd have to zoom it but that would take up too much space.. very unfortunate.
I guess I give Sage a shot or if anythiing fails, PitBull again.
04-29-08, 01:10 PM   #14
dodzilla
A Defias Bandit
Seems I should find some some webspace and right up a big comparison of the most popular mods plus links and such.
I bet many people would find that useful.
04-29-08, 01:12 PM   #15
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Doesn't matter how I bend it, I can't get the blizzard-frames to display the info I require properly so I can resolve it on a quick glance. The bars are too slim, the name-field too wide. I'd have to zoom it but that would take up too much space.. very unfortunate.
I guess I give Sage a shot or if anythiing fails, PitBull again.
What info are you trying to display?
04-29-08, 01:43 PM   #16
chimaera
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Xinh View Post
What info are you trying to display?
I prefer a wide health and mana-bar with the appropriate values (current/max) written into them with a relatively small but readable font. That is for myself, target and my pet. With the blizz frames, the font covers up most of the bar, so on a quick glance, e.g. in a bossfight, you can't get the status of yourself, pet and target. For me the name bar is a problem, it's taking too much space which would be more useful assigned to health or mana.

/edit
Maybe I should mention that I used a HUD until recently, so I'm quite used on having those informations before me. It filled up the screen pretty bad and I wanted to try to get a clean sight on what I'm actually doing for a change.

Last edited by chimaera : 04-29-08 at 01:46 PM.
04-29-08, 02:06 PM   #17
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

I prefer a wide health and mana-bar with the appropriate values (current/max) written into them with a relatively small but readable font. That is for myself, target and my pet. With the blizz frames, the font covers up most of the bar, so on a quick glance, e.g. in a bossfight, you can't get the status of yourself, pet and target. For me the name bar is a problem, it's taking too much space which would be more useful assigned to health or mana.

/edit
Maybe I should mention that I used a HUD until recently, so I'm quite used on having those informations before me. It filled up the screen pretty bad and I wanted to try to get a clean sight on what I'm actually doing for a change.
OK you have a couple of choices then. For pretty much ready to go unit frames, look at the previous mentioned Sage. However if you are willing to get your hands a bit "dirty" then you may want to take a look at oUF. Here are some examples of oUF layouts:

oUF Kosken

oUF p3lim (click on image for a full sized image)

These are by no means the only layouts, there are several that have been uploaded. All of the oUF layouts I have seen do not have a "Name bar", most will exclude the player name as you already know your own name. Most will color by class. Some support the use of LibMobHealth-4.0 to enable the display of mob HP/MP as numerical values rather than percentages. They can be customized, however you do have to get into the layout's lua to do so. However many layout authors (p3lim is a good example) have included handy comments in the code so you figure out what a line of code is supposed to due and also what to change so you can tweak to taste. Some layouts will use the default game font, others will include their own. It is possible to specify your own font, with the ones that provide their own, just replace that layout's font with your own, just rename using the name of the old font. Same with textures.

oUF is also extremely lightweight. About the only thing oUF does not do too well yet is raid frames however many of the layouts do provide some. The raid frames can be commented out and you can use the raid frames of your choice

Here is a link to oUF Kosken as this entry includes links to many of the other layouts currently uploaded to WoWI

I have used both p3lim's and Kosken's layouts with oUF along with Colfury's (Lighter Fluid) and they have my recommendations.

Last edited by Zyonin : 04-29-08 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Typos
04-29-08, 02:18 PM   #18
Slakah
A Molten Giant

I've used Sage for far too long, it works has an decent option menu and for you omg-supah lightweight folks has a very small memory/CPU use.
04-29-08, 02:40 PM   #19
hipjipp
A Cliff Giant

I myself use oUF since i only have an old working laptop with a weak CPU and low RAM.. therefore i choose to use oUF due to the low memory hogging.. ^^

(Yes, i just wanted a word in this discussion )
04-29-08, 03:14 PM   #20
chimaera
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
In all honesty, I'm too lazy to start playing around with lua. I have some basic programming knowledge, but I rather play the game than fiddeling around with such things for ages. If i find the time, I'll try some of the suggestions made above.

Thank you all for your comments, I'll keep you posted.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Searching for a simple unit-frame addon