06-07-12, 06:03 PM   #1
Otaros
A Defias Bandit
My work in progress.

So this is what i've been working on latley, and i've ran into som trouble

I'm not sure where to place my raidframes and recount+omen.

I'm thinking:
- Raidframes in upper left corner.
- Recount and Omen in bottom right corner.

BUT, how should i make the panels/background for recount and omen, make them transparent or have the same darkish theme, IMO the transparent seems better in theory but i i couldn't get it look any good although i didn't put very much effort into it. It just doesn't feel right. And the darkish is even worse, it doesn't fit at all with the chatbox. Im trying to keep the UI as clean as possible and maintain a theme along the entire UI.

Now what i need help with is to decide wheter to go with this or if you got another option which would be appreciated a lot, i'm kinda stuck on this and can't continue with the rest

I would also like to know what you think about the unitframes, should i make them smaller/bigger/wider/thinner or whatever. Of course any suggestions are welcome!

First post BTW
06-07-12, 06:40 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Welcome to the site, Otaros!

Unless you're tanking or leading the raid (or healing on another character) raid frames aren't very important for your UI, so a distant corner is a good location for a DPS spec. They don't need to be very informative, either. And, actually, your threat meter doesn't need to be attention grabbing for a DPS either. All you need to know is that you're staying beneath the tank while still playing optimally. Because of this, you could even skip a bar display for your threat meter (and Recount, too) and go with text only. That would mirror the chat frame on the opposite side of the screen.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-08-12, 12:54 PM   #3
Kendian
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I think it's a matter of perspective, I would ( and have ) used a similar setup in the past. The things I would change (preference) would be the borders of everything to match the borders of your unit frame portraits, and the threat bar to basic threat bar: pixel skin by TonyLeila. It looks good, though. Simple is beautiful~
06-09-12, 05:51 AM   #4
Otaros
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Kendian View Post
I think it's a matter of perspective, I would ( and have ) used a similar setup in the past. The things I would change (preference) would be the borders of everything to match the borders of your unit frame portraits, and the threat bar to basic threat bar: pixel skin by TonyLeila. It looks good, though. Simple is beautiful~
The borders are actually the same, ill have to take a look at that later.

Definitely gonna check out the basic threat bar too

This is what i managed to do with recount, changed the chat frame slighly too. What do you think?
06-09-12, 02:17 PM   #5
Kendian
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Looking good! Personally, if my chat text is outlined, I don't use a background, same for TinyDPS (my damage meter of choice). I'm not sure which action bar addon you're using, but hiding the keybinds would go a long way to clearing up the general fuzziness I get from that area, since the text looks to have a monochrome outline; it looks decidedly out of place. But I like the placement, and the unit frames and raid frames look very crisp~
06-19-12, 05:07 AM   #6
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Personally I would put Omen or your threat addon of choice above your action bars, but that's only because I think threat management is (or should be) more important than damage or dps.

Other than that it's a nice, clean and functional UI. I'm curious as to how it would look in a raid setup however.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » My work in progress.