12-12-06, 12:43 PM   #1
Bouvi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
How do I get started in Addon programming?

Hmmmmm nevermind either I am a dunderhead which is possible and did not scroll down far enough or this message magically opened a new door....

I am fading awa....

Last edited by Bouvi : 12-12-06 at 09:27 PM.
07-13-10, 03:23 PM   #2
Infamouss1985
A Kobold Labourer

OK i need help please

Hey im new in this can you guys please help me were can i find the program to create my own addons please help me
07-13-10, 03:55 PM   #3
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
You can start creating your addon with notepad. There are enhanced versions out there like Programmer's Notepad and Notepad++ but for small addons notepad is enough for the budding author.

Next step is to bookmark the following pages at the least:
www.wowwiki.com
wowprogramming.com

Both those sites will give you access to functions/forums/objects etc available for the addon author.

After that, find a small addon that does something simple and see if you can see how it does what it does. Then see what you can do to make it look or do something different. Or, you may already have an addon that has stopped working, that you can now see if you can fix for the other users out there. Especially if the author is unable to at the present time.

If you get stuck, you can also post on the forums and we can help you on your way.

There are 2 ways to creating an addon ( addon.toc, addon.lua ) or ( addon.toc, addon.xml, addon.lua ). In other words. You can either write a pure lua addon or utilise the xml system to design your addon and use the lua to do the other side of things.

Now that that has been said. This link will help you write your very first simple addon.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Getting_start...writing_addons

You can then use that as a template for your others by building on the code/changing the code etc as you need.

Last edited by Cladhaire : 07-20-10 at 09:14 AM.
07-13-10, 03:57 PM   #4
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by Infamouss1985 View Post
Hey im new in this can you guys please help me were can i find the program to create my own addons please help me
It's not a program, it's a language. But I have a feeling about this...

Sidenote/Warning
If you're looking to create an addon for the explicit purpose of getting a beta key, save yourself the trouble. They'll screening for these types of scams so that legit authors don't get screwed.
07-20-10, 05:08 AM   #5
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
I recommend getting the World of Warcraft Programming Guide. Very cheap too! used! On Amazon, I got mine for 60 cents! Perfect new condition too! Though, its burning crusade, it's still a great reference.

edit - meh nvm, but yeah check out cheap used books on amazon

Last edited by Ferous : 07-20-10 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Punctuation
07-20-10, 09:15 AM   #6
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
The new version of the book was released this past year, perfectly for Lich King and Cataclysm!
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
07-20-10, 10:09 AM   #7
infamy
A Murloc Raider

The James Whitehead/Rick Roe one? I'm actually interested in learning a bit more, I just want to make sure I'm grabbing the correct book:

http://www.amazon.ca/World-Warcraft-...9641855&sr=1-1

I really would benefit from a square one reference guide.
07-20-10, 03:08 PM   #8
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Originally Posted by Cladhaire View Post
The new version of the book was released this past year, perfectly for Lich King and Cataclysm!
I know, but getting the burning crusade one for 60 cents... You can't beat that! But, some used WOTLK ones go for 22 dollars, I must wait to get that But, I will, as it seems to have more in it than the BC one (BC one seems to be more about xml than lua)

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Dev Tools » How do I get started in Addon programming?