Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
04-16-09, 07:29 AM   #1
hoho
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
State of addon managers

Hi there

I'm here to ask what is the state of wow addon managers. Reason why I ask is that the only existing manager that worked for Linux was banned from those two sites and now I'm pretty much forced to spend hours to keep my stuff updated. I'd like to use an application that can use several sites and would work under Linux.

I know there is Curse Client but it has major problems with OSX and it doesn't work under Linux at all. I also know of the pre-alpha wowinterface made client that should work on pretty much anything but I think it will only work for addons hosted on wowinterface. What I'd like is a manager that would be capable of unifying multiple addon hosting sites while working on all major OS'es.

So, can someone tell me if there is any work being done on multi-site addon manager? Because if not then I'd start writing my own. If needed I could also help others with developing their manager but only if it is working on all platforms that Wow works on (basically Windows, OSX and Linux) and that can use several sites.

I could probably write up wowmatrix-clone relatively easily but having something that would be liked by addon hosts and users would be good for all people. Seeing two sites develop separate applications is just plain wrong and waste of developers and users time in my opinion.

About me:
I've been programming for roughly 12 years or half my life, past 5-6 years professionally. I have relatively good experience writing both server and client side applications and fat-clients aswell. I should have enough experience on the field to write such an application.

This has been also cross-posted to curse forums

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » State of addon managers