04-27-09, 09:56 PM   #1
MysticalNyte
A Murloc Raider
Target distance range

Hey Scott and everyone,

I would like to see an actual target distance range where boss or target is xx yards away insted of the 10-30, 0-30 whatever it is, built into the HUD if possible. I know DBM has something similar in it, but I haven't personally seen it cause I don't use DBM.

04-28-09, 12:03 AM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hmm not sure how DBM are doing it but a quick look at wowwiki's list there is only 1 command to test the distance and it only results in values relating to less than 10 , less than 15, or less than 30. As you can see from the below this is probably where most of the range meters take their values from.

canInteract = CheckInteractDistance(unit)

unit
The unit to query (e.g. "target", "party1", "pet", "player")
distIndex
A value 1-4:
1 = Inspect, 28 yards
2 = Trade, 11.11 yards
3 = Duel, 9.9 yards
4 = Follow, 28 yards

04-28-09, 12:07 AM   #3
spiritwulf
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I believe the more distance specific addons are scanning the char spellbook and using the range definitions for the abilities found there to help determine range as well. This only adds a small amount of corection however.
not for pleasure
but for survival

04-28-09, 09:07 AM   #4
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by MysticalNyte View Post
Hey Scott and everyone,

I would like to see an actual target distance range where boss or target is xx yards away insted of the 10-30, 0-30 whatever it is, built into the HUD if possible. I know DBM has something similar in it, but I haven't personally seen it cause I don't use DBM.
This is not possible... Blizzard purposely does not allow mods to know how far a mob is, exactly, from the player and that will never change. As Xrystal points out, the CheckInteractDistance() method can be used to determine if the mob is inside a certain radius and that's all... so you can build a range with that such as 0 - 9.9, 9.9 to 11, 11 - 28 or 28 - 100.

Spiritwulf is also correct and that is in fact what nUI does. Actually, nUI uses both methods. I parse the list of spells in your spellbook when nUI loads and I build a table of spells and their ranges. When you have a mob targeted, I parse that list and create a minimum and a maximum distance based on which spells are usable on the target. When that's done, I double check the result against the interact data and refine if needed.

I know of no other way to do this.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

04-28-09, 06:52 PM   #5
wreck
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Yep, this is another anti-exploit situation. I remember back in WoW Beta it was possible to get the exact range to a target. Unfortunately people were using that to stay just outside of their opponents range while using their max range weapon/spell.

Someone actually put together a mod that looked at your target, then based on their class/level decided what their maximum range was. Then you got a colored indicator - Red you are in range, green you are out of their range and safe.

Think of the possibilities in PvP

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Suggestion Box » Target distance range