10-24-09, 10:54 AM   #21
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
For all those seeking assistance I invite you to read this thread.

Cairren's Sticky for posting about Addon Issues.

For the tl;dr crowd heres the short version.

Be courteous.
Give plenty of detail. Including how it was installed.

As said above (paraphrasing) we aren't mind readers. We don't know what you've done or your technical capability. Providing as much detail as possible including install path and OS when applicable allows people who help to bypass the basics and get to the deeper issues if there are any. Also please keep in mind no one is paid to do this and we are not required to help the rude and obnoxious. Most of us do this because we enjoy it.

I now leave you with your regularly scheduled dancing bananas

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

10-27-09, 10:58 AM   #22
Sarinanightlily
A Kobold Labourer
Exclamation Im having trouble too

I am also having trouble with the newest update of carbonite. I have read your previous posts and have checked the locations of the folders. I am using Vista.

C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Carbonite
C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\CarboniteNodes
C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\CarboniteTransfer

I have the carbonite button on my mini map, but nothing else. I can bring up the options in game but not my carbonite map or anything to do with quest help. This happens when all other add ons are disabled.

I am not trying to be a pain just trying to describe the situation to the best of my ability so that you can help me.

10-27-09, 02:06 PM   #23
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Obviously Carbonite is running as the Button shows.

Try doing /carb resetwin and see if that helps.

10-30-09, 02:46 AM   #24
Panja
A Kobold Labourer
Unhappy Carbonite not working

I installed the latest greatest carbonite (Ironically just like all the other updates of Carbonite that I have installed) and the quests don't show up on the map. Tried deleting and reinstalling. Pulled my addOn folder out and reinstalled everything to no avail. Then I killed the latest and greatest and went back a version, no joy in Mudville.

OK, update #1, Upon completion of a quest, I do get question marks. one was a little off in WG, was between the Alliance camp and the fort. but the rest were on quest givers to date. My technical ability, IT pro, 15 years. Not a programmer, I do help desk, desktop support and project management (play wow at work)

Last edited by Panja : 10-30-09 at 03:42 AM.

10-30-09, 06:18 AM   #25
Jagganath
A Murloc Raider

Angry "Pretty old"

This message complains that the installed version, the "freshest" one from your links, is not the latest.

Before anyone starts another DETAILED STEP-BY-STEP install instruction, I did it the quick and sure way.

1) I DELETED all three old dirs from my add on dir. THAT MEANS I KNOW WHERE they are supposed to be unzipped. And I know it's a CLEAN install.

2) I UNZIPPED them, checked the dir and voila! same as the old ones' names and location.

3) Logged on. "This version is pretty old. Please visit carboniteaddon.com blah blah blah..."

One discrepancy I noticed is that in the CURSE CLIENT, it detects a VERSION 3.1.2 instead of the supposed 3.2.2 or 3.2.3. WHY ????

*sigh*

10-30-09, 06:24 AM   #26
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Jagganath View Post
One discrepancy I noticed is that in the CURSE CLIENT, it detects a VERSION 3.1.2 instead of the supposed 3.2.2 or 3.2.3. WHY ????
That's the problem. The latest version is not hosted on Curse.com It's hosted here as the Official source for Carbonite.

Download here: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...Carbonite.html

10-30-09, 02:28 PM   #27
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you go to Curse.com, and do a search for Carbonite you will find out that it is not hosted there on the Curse site. At all. If you are using Curse Client v4 it will show up in the installed addons list. However, you cannot update it through the client.

If you wish to do automatic updates for Carbonite, or any addon here at WoWI, you might want to install MMOUIMinion . IF you install Minion and have problems, check here: FAQ on the Minion site, or here: WoWI forum thread for Minion problems. Now, I personally use and like Minion and highly recommend it to download and install addons from WoWI in a automatic fashion. I also use Curse Client and like that also, so I'm not biased one way or the other.

My CCv4 tells me I have Carbonite 2.30 installed, and has ever since I updated it.

Just deleting the three Carbonite folders in your AddOns folder DOES NOT mean you have a "clean" re-install. What about all the "old" saved variables? I'm pretty sure you can't have a "clean (re)install" without deleting them also. I didn't have to do that. For me, I updated via Minion, and Carbonite simply kept on working as advertised, just without the "pretty old" messages (which were 3 [three] lines of chat text immediately after log on. Spam indeed.).

If I have given any false, or misleading, information I apologize. I am certainly not an expert on these matters, but I do try to help when I feel I can.

OK. End of rant.

Last edited by jeffy162 : 10-30-09 at 02:41 PM. Reason: DOH!

10-30-09, 02:31 PM   #28
Jagganath
A Murloc Raider

Talking

Originally Posted by Vis View Post
That's the problem. The latest version is not hosted on Curse.com It's hosted here as the Official source for Carbonite.

Download here: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...Carbonite.html
No, no, no....I used Carb's link to dload. I have Curse client as background for updates on OTHER add ons. BUT it detected my INSTALLED version as 3.1.2.

Anyway, I dloaded the REAL NEWEST version AFTER I read Xrystal's reply that it was only updated this 19th !!!

Fancy that...no, on second thought, I want the real thing....and got it. No more nasty "pretty old" message. Thought it was referring to me, a half-century old gook...

TNX for that warning. Other readers should be reminded of Curse's unreliable "updatedness"

10-30-09, 02:41 PM   #29
Jagganath
A Murloc Raider

Wink

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
If you go to Curse.com, and do a search for Carbonite you will find out that it is not hosted there on the Curse site. At all. If you are using Curse Client v4 it will show up in the installed addons list. However, you cannot update it through the client.

If you wish to do automatic updates for Carbonite, or any addon here at WoWI, you might want to install MMOUIMinion . IF you install Minion and have problems, check here: FAQ on the Minion site, or here: WoWI forum thread for Minion problems. Now, I personally use and like Minion and highly recommend it to download and install addons from WoWI in a automatic fashion. I also use Curse Client and like that also, so I'm not biased one way or the other.

My CCv4 tells me I have Carbonite 2.30 installed, and has ever since I updated it.

Just deleting the three Carbonite folders in your AddOns folder DOES NOT mean you have a "clean" re-install. What about all the "old" saved variables? I'm pretty sure you can't have a "clean (re)install" without deleting them also.

If I have given any false, or misleading, information I apologize. I am certainly not an expert on these matters, but I do try to help when I feel I can.

OK. End of rant.

(See my response re curse vs update)

Also: K, will try ur minion thingie.

And yep, I removed the WTF saved thingy too. Even if I never used the xfer service. I don't hold any other account anyway.

10-30-09, 03:08 PM   #30
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Jagganath View Post
No, no, no....I used Carb's link to dload. I have Curse client as background for updates on OTHER add ons. BUT it detected my INSTALLED version as 3.1.2.

Anyway, I dloaded the REAL NEWEST version AFTER I read Xrystal's reply that it was only updated this 19th !!!

Fancy that...no, on second thought, I want the real thing....and got it. No more nasty "pretty old" message. Thought it was referring to me, a half-century old gook...

TNX for that warning. Other readers should be reminded of Curse's unreliable "updatedness"
Hey, I'm right up there with you, at 56! Personally, I'm just trying to learn this darned game well enough to keep up with the "Whippersnapper" class. I only started in late January of this year and have been very fortunate not to have had many problems with my addons (or WoW in general).

Anyway, I do apologize to you. My .......... ummmm...... Outburst.... was not aimed directly at you. Although I can see how it looked that way, it really wasn't. Sorry.

10-31-09, 03:23 AM   #31
Jagganath
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Hey, I'm right up there with you, at 56! Personally, I'm just trying to learn this darned game well enough to keep up with the "Whippersnapper" class. I only started in late January of this year and have been very fortunate not to have had many problems with my addons (or WoW in general).
K, enough of owning up to our, ahem, decade...we can't pick up nice young women that way...or hot guys, for that matter (wink).

Wine isn't the only thing that tastes better with time! And I know I came from a very good year....ask all my exes....

funny thing is, they all went gay after break up....hmmmm....

10-31-09, 02:34 PM   #32
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
99.9% of the time when an addon is NOT updating it is because the user is not doing something right.
I'd agree with that percent.

My step to locate the directory your addon folder was in was because a large amount of people do not realize that the default install directory on Vista is changed during one of the updates. MANY times the problem of an addon not updating is because the user is going to the OLD directory that they thought WoW was installed in but IN FACT is no longer correct.
If I had a dollar for evertime that happened, I'd have a lot of dollars.

Another thing to try. Try removing the version you have then run WoW. Does it still show in the Addons Window on the character select screen? If so you have the wrong directory.
Yep, always a good first debugging step. Remove and verify it is gone.

Ordered the parts for my new home brew PC yesterday. Win 7 Pro 64 bit, i7-860, Radeon 5770, 4GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Tracer, Logitech G15. This will be awesome compared to my cruddy old single core Athlon XP, 1 GB RAM and 6800GS. About 3x the performance.

I'll get the joy of doing a new install of WoW and everything else next week.

10-31-09, 02:44 PM   #33
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Sarinanightlily View Post
I have the carbonite button on my mini map, but nothing else. I can bring up the options in game but not my carbonite map or anything to do with quest help. This happens when all other add ons are disabled.
That sounds similar to when you have a carbonite.toc and carbonite.xml file, but no carbonite.lua file in the Carbonite folder. In that case you should be getting a red error message.

It can also be a major initialization error happening, but Lua errors are off.

Press ESC key and select "Interface". Click "Help" in the list. Now make sure "Display Lua Errors" is checked and click the "Okay" button at the bottom of the window. Log out and back in to see if any errors appear. If so, then what does it say?

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » updated carbonite not working at all