06-12-11, 01:31 PM   #1
wow2much
A Defias Bandit
all Notes disappeared

Just opened up WOW and all my Carbonite Notes are gone. Yikes.
Any help about
1) where they are stored, so i can look to see if the file(s) is actually gone
2) any way to recover them?
3) what would have caused it?

I appreciate any help.
tyvm

06-13-11, 01:33 AM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Open your "Path to your WoW folder\WTF\Account\ACCOUNT NAME\SavedVariables\" folder, and find the "Carbonite.lua" file. Open it with any plain text editor and do a search within the document for "NXFav". There are several instances of that phrase, but the one you're looking for will be almost all the way at the bottom of the document, and will be the last occurrence of it. You will (probably) recognize the notes several lines below it.

If your notes are still in the file, I would have no idea why they aren't showing up. I think somewhere in Carbonites options they can be enabled/disabled, so they possibly got accidentally disabled.

As far as I know, if your notes are no longer in that file, unless you have a recent backup of it there is no way to recover them. If you do, indeed, have a recent backup, it may be possible to copy the notes out of it, and paste them in the current file at the proper location.

06-13-11, 08:03 AM   #3
wow2much
A Defias Bandit
thanks for the info

Thank you for the info. Alas, the file is *very* small.
I had not backed up the WTF folder recently (shame on me) but do have a backup. So i am going to try to cut/paste the info in.

Again, thanks so much.

Sadly, though, i have NO idea what caused Carbonite to decide it was going to reset / "become new" and wipe out the data.

06-13-11, 09:11 AM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Sorry to hear that. I think I've had the same problem recently as I don't have any notes in my SV file, either. Luckily, I do have a backup, so I'm going to try taking my own advice. I'll let you know how that works out.

07-12-11, 02:47 AM   #5
Saalaaazaar
A Defias Bandit
Hi @ll,

is there already some new facts bout this prob? We face those missing nodes since approx. 4 weeks now. Seems they´ve just vanished ... -.- Searching all available "*.lua"-files ( friends, etc.) show same result: no NXFav ...

Farming with only the small map flashing is veeeeryyyy exhausting -.-

Maximizing the small map doesn´t show the next node so you act a little like try&error ^^

Thanx for fixing and helping, Carbonite is one of the most helpful addons i´ve ever seen in wow!

07-12-11, 10:09 AM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Saalaaazaar View Post
Hi @ll,

is there already some new facts bout this prob? We face those missing nodes since approx. 4 weeks now. Seems they´ve just vanished ... -.- Searching all available "*.lua"-files ( friends, etc.) show same result: no NXFav ...

Farming with only the small map flashing is veeeeryyyy exhausting -.-

Maximizing the small map doesn´t show the next node so you act a little like try&error ^^

Thanx for fixing and helping, Carbonite is one of the most helpful addons i´ve ever seen in wow!
There is a fairly large difference between "notes" and "nodes" and the way each is stored in Carbonites "SavedVariables" file. While "notes" are stored under the "NXFav" heading, the "nodes" (or "gather-able" locations) are stored in the same file under the "NXGather" heading.

Have you imported Carbonites node database for your gathering profession, and if you have, do you have them set to be displayed on your map? You can check to see if they are set to display on the Carbonite map by right clicking a non-icon area of the map and choosing "Show" in the menu. When the "Show" menu opens make sure the proper option box is checked to show the proper icons for that characters' gathering profession.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

07-13-11, 03:12 AM   #7
Saalaaazaar
A Defias Bandit
Hiho

thank you very much for your reply, i am apologizing for my bad english and not really getting the difference between those two things ..

After spending a little time clicking here and there i actually found those "import" buttons and YES, now the locations are shown. Unfortunately i still see them flashing only on the minimap and not on the carbonite world map.
I remember, before cata i saw the icons on the world map and when approaching the location it changed to a little green circle and if there were herbs or mining it changed after half a second to a flashing yellow dot.
Any idea how i can make the nodes flash again on the big map?
Hope, i could explain a bit better this time

Thank you so much for support

greetz S.

07-13-11, 08:15 AM   #8
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I don't remember seeing that behavior with Carbonites maximized map. Ever. That doesn't mean it hasn't ever actually happened, it just means it hasn't happened for me, and the way in which I have Carbonite set up.

The reason for that is because the "glowing dot" indicating an active (able to be harvested) node appears only on the Blizzard minimap. In Carbonite, if I enable the option for the the Blizzard minimap to be shown when I maximize the Carbonite map, Blizzards' minimap becomes visible and just takes over half of the Carbonite maximized map. I leave that option disabled for just that reason.

I don't have any idea at all how that might have worked, or which combination of options and/or addons you use that may have made it work, so I have absolutely no idea how to get that functionality back for you. Sorry.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

07-23-11, 08:21 AM   #9
Kreelor
A Firelord

Question

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Open your "Path to your WoW folder\WTF\Account\ACCOUNT NAME\SavedVariables\" folder, and find the "Carbonite.lua" file. Open it with any plain text editor and do a search within the document for "NXFav". There are several instances of that phrase, but the one you're looking for will be almost all the way at the bottom of the document, and will be the last occurrence of it. You will (probably) recognize the notes several lines below it.

If your notes are still in the file, I would have no idea why they aren't showing up. I think somewhere in Carbonites options they can be enabled/disabled, so they possibly got accidentally disabled.

As far as I know, if your notes are no longer in that file, unless you have a recent backup of it there is no way to recover them. If you do, indeed, have a recent backup, it may be possible to copy the notes out of it, and paste them in the current file at the proper location.
Hi, Jeffy162. I'm trying to do what you suggested, above. And, that is to "copy the notes out of it, and paste them in the current file at the proper location."

I need further guidance and maybe a 'visual' explanation to help me understand precisely where to paste my copies from previous backups (of my NXfav code/s). You said to paste them at the "proper location," but I don't know where that is. LUA coding is difficult for me to understand with all the brackets, ellipses, dots, squiggly's, etc.! ha ha. Therefore, I do not want to mess up my current Carbonite.lua, even though I have a backup of it. I want to learn how to do it.

I also noticed that in my previous backups, there are several different NXfav sections (within the same NXfav section) and each one of them does pertain to my saved "NOTES" which I placed onto maps earlier. Am I to copy each section (if I can figure out where each section starts/ends) into the newest NXfav section? Or, am I to copy and paste sections of earlier ones "inside" the newest NXfav area? Confused. Your help will be appreciated.

07-23-11, 10:58 AM   #10
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Well, I'm kinda embarrassed by this, but, I never figured it out either.

The only backup of that file that I could find on my computer was from before Cataclysm was released. I had a ton of notes in it, but really, most of the locations for them were irrelevant after Cat dropped. I also never figured out what all of the other instances of "NXFav" meant. I'm not sure if they are the on-screen location of the "Favorites" window or something else entirely. I do know that the other instances are in each characters profile within that file, and that all of the notes are in the last instance of "NXFav" in the file. But, of course, that's pretty obvious if you searched the document for "NXFav".

Unfortunately, Lua and I reside in different universes (possibly even different dimensions) but I'm a fair hand with "copy-n-paste" so I've been able to cobble up a couple of simple plug-ins for two addons by honest-to-goodness addon authors. A "Button Facade" skin, and five skins for Minimap Button Frame. Really, the most difficult part of all of it was doing the graphics and getting them right. The toughest thing I had to do with code of any kind was adjusting the "HotKey", "Count" and "Name" (for macros) text on the BF skin, and it took me a little bit to figure that one out.

TL;DR: Sorry, but I just don't have a clue what it all means (and I'm not happy about it, either).

07-24-11, 10:16 AM   #11
Kreelor
A Firelord

Thanks for replying!

I'll keep hoping that one of the 'lua' coding experts will reply with an answer to my question(s). They work with 'lua' all time, so I'm certain it'll be easy for them to give me an example or two.

I've also been waiting a very long time for the Carbonite developer to fix the Carbonite Guide, the (red ?) thing on our Interface. It is not working properly.

Last edited by Kreelor : 05-01-14 at 01:28 PM. Reason: removed ref to Zygor since it is Carbonite that controls the red "?" for the Guide

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » all Notes disappeared