03-14-11, 10:17 PM   #21
Crissa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
In short; GHz wireless works just fine. Bluetooth not so much.
No. They use the same basic 2.4GHz open air band, but Bluetooth devices know not to crash into each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Air_interface

Bluetooth is designed to avoid interference. The proprietary systems are, well, proprietary, using the same airspace as telephones and radio control toys. Technically, they all use the same space, but multiple proprietary systems do not navigate away from each other.

Nor do they transmit faster, etc.

-Crissa
03-19-11, 09:02 PM   #22
Akuman
A Defias Bandit
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Mionix Naos

When it comes down to it, there are so many different choices you can make.

If you want multi button mouse get the Razer Naga or the Steelseries WoW one.

Logitech make really good mice but their recent G700 was horrible.

If you don't mind paying some extra money and are not left handed, the Mionix Naos is awesome.

Bought it 2 months ago and I have to say it is the MOST comfortable mouse I've ever tried out. While it seems quite wide, that's only the bottom part of it which has an extended bit for your ring finger and pinky to lay on.

5040 dpi, the ability to change the LED colours, and weight system are awesome as well.

I play FPSs as well and it feels really precise even at higher DPIs.

Before you buy any mice I suggest you google some reviews of the mice mentioned in this topic and check out what they have to say. If you have bigger/smaller than normal hand size, you might find a reviewer who is in a similar situation and hence are able to better asses how good a mouse might be for you specifically.
03-20-11, 07:30 AM   #23
perlsyntax
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I useing the razer nada mouse and it has a wow addon for it and i really like it.
03-20-11, 12:57 PM   #24
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I just got the G700 and so far im lovin it!

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
03-20-11, 04:50 PM   #25
Sythalin
Curse staff

Using a Naga personally. Took a bit of getting used to, but now that I've passed the learning curve I don't think I could go back.

The Cata mouse may look pretty, and I looked at it at first, but product user reviews made me stay clear of it. Most common complaint was the size of it. It's really massive to be moving around on your desk constantly. To understand, take a fresh, unwrapped pack of notecards and try to move it around on your desk for an hour. Same feeling. On top of this, the durability is rather questionable. A friend of mine has the older version and I've personally seen it where all the paint/finish has worn off and half the buttons have stopped working.

Of course, this is just one case of thousands, but after researching I've found all these, and more, to be the top complaints. I'd advise to go with something else. ANYTHING else....
03-20-11, 07:07 PM   #26
Crissa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
It's really massive to be moving around on your desk constantly. To understand, take a fresh, unwrapped pack of notecards and try to move it around on your desk for an hour. Same feeling.
Personally, this is why I use a trackball. No arm motion.

Then again, I have long fingers, so most of these mice are too dang small and I'm actually dragging my fingers around my desk instead of the mouse, and the last thing I want is drag marks on my hand.

No, really.

-Crissa
03-24-11, 10:30 AM   #27
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Crissa, could you perhaps help me figure out how come my bluetooth devices usually disconnect often, require reconnections or how come they always bump into connectivity issues... while my non-bluetooth wireless mouse has no problems or interference issues?

I can't figure out why someone would sell bluetooth accessories that is so easy to influence or destabilize -that's my experience. -_-' Maybe you got some insight info that could help me understand my bad experience with bluetooth devices, thanks!
03-24-11, 04:28 PM   #28
Crissa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Because Bluetooth requires support from more than one vendor; they can blame each other when something goes wrong or off-spec.

Otherwise, they're more robust than proprietary devices.

But yeah, like my phone that allows me to use Bluetooth headphones or run an application. Who thought that was a good idea? Or Sony, who decided their Bluetooth devices needed a higher amperage than normal for recharge and use a new sync code every startup, which means non-Sony devices might need to re-sync if you don't turn them off before the Sony device.

But this can happen to anything, like the proprietary phone that's known to broadcast to your neighbor's or open your neighbor's garage door, or the one that fails when someone uses a microwave, or the Naval base that puts out a landing signal so loud that everyone's WiFi network within a mile resets.

-Crissa

Last edited by Crissa : 03-24-11 at 07:18 PM.
03-24-11, 07:14 PM   #29
Crissa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

...And in annoyances today, the Logitech Unifying Receiver randomly picks channels that puts static on my bluetooth headphones. And randomly knocks my USB keyboard off. At least I can just unplug and replug it while the music is playing and it'll choose another channel, but it's a pain.

That wouldn't happen with all Bluetooth (or all Logitech Unifying, I suppose, but then I wouldn't have cordless stereo headphones...)

-Crissa
03-25-11, 07:34 AM   #30
Vlad
A Molten Giant

I use a keyboard and mice, two different receiver devices yet they work just fine! It's not bluetooth so being custom devices I guess they implemented some checks to make sure the frequencies are not in use or something, funny both are logitech. Using the old cordless desktop mx keyboard and the new g700 mouse. ^^

My other bluetooth mouse fails hard, even if being the only bluetooth unit, true I run it trough my build in receiver (my bluetooth one I got with it broke), I guess we need better specifications and routines to avoid crashing of frequencies, hmm... I think it's time for a ISO meeting!

(Funny how my year 2000 produced keyboard works fine without interference while my backup bluetooth mouse from 2008 fails hard. :P)
03-25-11, 05:16 PM   #31
Crissa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

So if both are Logitech, then both know how to avoid each other!

The fact that you have one bluetooth mouse that fails hardly means anything. Anecdote ≠ data.

I'm not sure what your point is.

-Crissa
03-26-11, 06:11 AM   #32
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Point is all is logitech, bluetooth receiver is not from logitech but still works, but the mouse disconnects and lags a lot. The other two hardware is one new and one old, both work fine without problems. Point is simply, don't buy logitech mx laser 1000, it's horrible!

Also if the 2000 keyboard knows how to avoid other hardware I feel ripped off the bluetooth mouse from 2005 doesn't. Initially I bought it as replacement mouse but was terribly disappointed finding out it's really bad, even for just desktop work. In the end, over 10 years later I finally own a proper wireless mouse, somehow it scarred me thinking of all bluetooth devices as inferior to non-bluetooth once.

Last edited by Vlad : 03-26-11 at 06:17 AM.
03-26-11, 06:32 AM   #33
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Maybe not ideal for gaming, per say, but I'm ordering one of these soon.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
03-26-11, 05:10 PM   #34
Cowmonster
A Cyclonian
Personally I have a Razer Naga. I love it and no it doesn't require any special software or an interface to setup the buttons to use in WoW. There is a switch on the bottom of the mouse which switches between 1 through = on the keyboard and the NUM pad. You simply bind in-game to the NUM pad or the 1 through = on top of your keyboard. The in-game mod is just another actionbar mod...nothing special. The mouse is comfortable and the buttons are within reach. Most mice seem awkward to me at first. The first time you use it when you are use to the responsiveness, size, weight, shape and feel of your old mouse it seems alien, but after awhile it becomes natural to you. This mouse didn't feel alien for very long at all. It was comfortable right out of the box and after about 10 minutes of gaming I was hooked.

Author of:
Equipped Average Item Level :: ExtraBar :: Killing Blow Emote :: RecordTip
06-30-11, 05:39 PM   #35
Murdoc
A Defias Bandit
I'm disappointed that I haven't seen more people recommending a R.A.T. I have the R.A.T. 7 and personally it's the best mouse I have ever used. One of the best things about this mouse is that being uncomfortable or awkward is not even a factor. The thumb rest is completely adjustable (can slide from front to back and can angle out from the body or squeeze in tight to the body). It comes with 3 different pinky grips/rests. 1 is smooth, one is a more grippy rubber material and the third is what I call my pinky's "bucket" which basically keeps your pinky from dragging. Have big hands? This mouse is big enough. Have small hands? This mouse is small enough. The palm rest is adjustable (slides forward and backward) and there are 3 different palm rests you can use as well. Smooth, Rubber, and one that is smooth but is thicker making the mouse slightly taller. In addition to all that, like most mice out these days, you can adjust the weight. Not completely sure what size the weights are (I believe they are 5g) but the mouse can go from floating on air to being a workout (not really just pretty heavy for a mouse) Comes with software that allows you to program the 2 side buttons and the horizontal scroll wheel. As well as adjust the DPI settings. There are four DPI modes to select from that are changed by pushing the button right behind the main scroll wheel forward or backward. The DPI mode is displayed on the lip of the left mouse button and also on the lip of the left mouse button is a profile button. This button switches between your profiles which will changed the color of the LED's. One of my favorite features is the Precision Aim button. It's on the left side of the mouse and pressing it instantly lowers your DPI. You can adjust the amount this button lowers your DPI in the software. This is very handy in first person shooters but also has some other practical applications. The R.A.T. 7 is $80 I believe and the R.A.T. 9 is more the only difference is the 9 is wireless. I forgot to mention there is also 2 buttons on the left side of the mouse. It may not have as many buttons as some other mice but it is a 100% guarantee that this mouse will be comfortable. No other mouse out there is a sure fit. I feel like Cyborg owes me some money after that recommendation that turned into a sales pitch. Just read some other reviews and I'm sure you will be sold.
06-30-11, 07:40 PM   #36
Verttex
Super Monkey

I am currently using a Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse Steel Blue Pointing Device

Has a 2 year battery.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Good gaming mouse