03-05-16, 07:53 AM   #1
sQUICKLY
A Kobold Labourer
Minion is worthy?

Hello. Since I'm having issues with Curse Client and .netframework, I'm in search for an alternative. Would you guys recommend this one to use for addon updates?
03-10-16, 01:47 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I load up Minion every day before launching WoW.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-12-16, 05:35 AM   #3
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by sQUICKLY View Post
Hello. Since I'm having issues with Curse Client and .netframework, I'm in search for an alternative. Would you guys recommend this one to use for addon updates?
Colour me curious. What issues are you having? As a Curse moderator, I have seen various issues caused by Windows' wacky installer, permissions, and a host of other annoyances. The good news is I have solutions to almost every problem you can imagine installing the Curse Client.

As for the main part of your question, Minion is perfectly fine to use.

Just keep in mind two things:
  1. Do NOT update the same AddOn with both Curse Client and Minion. You will get installation errors and the AddOn will not work.
  2. While most AddOns are hosted on both Wowinterface and Curse by authors, there are many AddOns that are not, or are badly outdated on one or the other.
03-15-16, 07:31 AM   #4
Jiggly
A Defias Bandit

I recently switched to Minion from Curse to try it out. I think it's working very well for being in Beta, I only use it for WoW tho and haven't tried to use it with Skyrim or any other game.

However if you are using ElvUI like I am do not check "Automatic Update" or use the "Update All".

It will update a addon called "ElvUI - Movable Actionbars" which removed ElvUI completely for me.
03-15-16, 10:23 AM   #5
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

That's because ElvUI is not hosted on either Curse or Wowinterface. It is on its own site: https://www.tukui.org/dl.php
03-15-16, 06:36 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
If it thinks that ElvUI is that other file (the closest Minion can find to ElvUI), right click it in Minion and tell it to ignore it. Then you can use the Update All feature.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-16-16, 10:00 AM   #7
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
If it thinks that ElvUI is that other file (the closest Minion can find to ElvUI), right click it in Minion and tell it to ignore it. Then you can use the Update All feature.
Yes, silly me. I am so used to programs like Minion and Curse Client, I keep forgetting that others users may not be so well versed in their usage.

You can do this same thing with the Curse Client –– right click and select ignore. Which is very handy in either updater to prevent duplicate AddOns from being updated in both programs (see above why).

For example, and only picking one AddOn out of dozens and dozens, Bartender4 is hosted on both Wowinterface and Curse. If a user has Minion and Curse Client, select one updater and use the right click ignore option to ignore Bartender4. It does not matter which updater program the user chooses; stick with your favourite preference. Do not update Bartender4 in both clients, or Bartender4 will fail to work in the game.
03-16-16, 07:42 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
Do not update Bartender4 in both clients, or Bartender4 will fail to work in the game.
This isn't true, you would only have problems if one site's version of an addon was not being kept up to date.

04-13-16, 06:34 AM   #9
Jiggly
A Defias Bandit

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Thanks, that worked great.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Minion is worthy?