11-22-13, 03:02 AM   #21
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by zork View Post
I would not bother with BugGrabber anyway. The default Lua errors messages are just fine.
I'd have to disagree. Yes, both tools show the same error messages, but that's not the only consideration. Most importantly, BugGrabber catches errors that happen during loading. The default error handler won't show these errors. Yeah, I could run my code through a Lua validator to catch typos, but it's easier just to reload the UI, plus syntax errors aren't the only errors that can happen during loading.

Also, if the error happens in the middle of a boss fight, I'm not going to stop everything to copy/paste it into a report right then and there. If I'm using the default error handler, my only option is to close the window and hope I either remember the error later (unlikely) or hope I can reproduce it. Even worse, the giant popup window may be covering up some important UI element I need to be doing my job, or maybe it just distracts me at the wrong moment, and now while I'm trying to close the @#$%^! thing, I've let the tank die, or I didn't move out of the void zone fast enough, etc. With BugGrabber, there's no popup window in the first place, and I can review the error (and any others that occurred) later at my convenience.

#1 is mainly relevant for developers, but #2 is relevant to everyone. If a user can copy/paste the error out of BugSack after the raid, they're more likely to report it, and their report is more likely to be useful. If there's just a big annoying box popping up that they have to close to get it out of the way, they're either not going to bother reporting it, or their report is just going to be something vague and useless and angry like "omg this error keeps popping up when I'm fighting bosses and it's making me wipe, your addon sux!"
12-13-13, 06:14 AM   #22
Wetxius
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Thumbs up Fix

I fixed thread bug. Just remove from .xml files "hidden="true"
Example:
<Button name="oUF_ClamsodaPartyPets" inherits="SecureUnitButtonTemplate" hidden="true" virtual="true">
Changed to:
<Button name="oUF_ClamsodaPartyPets" inherits="SecureUnitButtonTemplate" virtual="true">

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) » Strange issue since 5.4.1