10-06-12, 01:46 PM   #1
Aryae
A Fallenroot Satyr
Unhappy Pixel Perfect

I recently upgraded my monitor from a tiny 16-inch screen to a 720p HD 32 inch TV. The duel screen and the size in general is great. One issue... Being the obsessive compulsive perfectionist that I am, my UI needs to be pixel perfect. Unfortunately it is definitely not on the TV like it is on the monitor. I've tried nearly everything to fix it so everything appears sharp and crisp just like it does on the 16 inch. Everything from upgrading the graphics card (And power supply to accommodate the new GPU), to a HDMI Cable, to tinkering with all kinds of settings and scouring Google for information. What I have gathered is rather frustrating, TV's don't display like a monitor does. The pixels are in fact different, more suited for displaying objects etc such as a movie. Where a computer monitors pixels are more meant for text and webpages that gives it that sharp crisp look. To change this, I'd more then likely have to buy an actual computer monitor or perhaps spring for a 1020p HD TV. Both of which isn't an option as of now. My question is, is there any possible way to fix this? Not for everything, just for my WoW UI. I've noticed some scripts/macros here and there that tweak with the UI. I've tried many but they don't seem to totally fix it. Or am I stuck deciding between size, or UI perfection?
10-06-12, 02:46 PM   #2
Barjack
A Black Drake
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm not familiar with the pixel proportions of modern TVs, but if the problem as you say is truly one of the TV not mapping an input pixel to a screen pixel in a 1:1 ratio as you said, then I doubt there is anything you can do. If you want to test this assumption, I'd say you need to do two things: first, find the resolution you TV claims to be displaying at 720p (which should probably be 1280x720, but you should definitely make sure), then make a PNG at that exact resolution with a checkerboard pattern of alternating pixels (I actually found one just with Google image search at this resolution here) and display that on your TV. Then get up close and see if any pixels are blending.

I'm not sure if your TV is actually the problem but I think it's important to rule it out if it's not.
10-06-12, 06:02 PM   #3
Aryae
A Fallenroot Satyr
I'm pretty sure the TV is the issue, I notice these "blurry" pixels on nearly everything. The only place it truly drives me crazy is WoW. I was just holding out some small shred of hope that there was perhaps some addons or script I could do to alter the screen in a way that it did what I wanted with the way the TV is. Suppose I'm stuck choosing between the two screens.
10-06-12, 06:48 PM   #4
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
720p on a 32" screen is a very, very low resolution. When watching TV you usually don't notice this, but in games especially when you're looking at pixels in a UI it becomes painfully noticeable.
10-06-12, 09:23 PM   #5
Aryae
A Fallenroot Satyr
I use an AMD GPU, is there any possible way to ajust the settings to fix the pixels? Even if it makes the screen smaller that's fine, as long as its not a 16-inch. ><
10-06-12, 10:13 PM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I don't know if it will help you, but you might want to have a look at This Thread . It might help you, but, then again, it just might confuse you more, too.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
10-06-12, 10:42 PM   #7
Barjack
A Black Drake
If the problem is your TV not having square pixels then I don't think there's anything you can do within reason, since you can't change WoW's UI scaling in a non-uniform way. I'd strongly advise trying the checkerboard to make sure of this, though. If you can see the checkerboard without pixel blending then some type of UI scaling and/or disabling of UI scaling might fix your problem.
10-07-12, 01:06 AM   #8
Aryae
A Fallenroot Satyr
Yeah, I did the test and unfortunately my suspicions were correct. It is in fact the TV's pixels and try as I might seems to be no possible setting or configurations inside or outside WoW that will change that.
Curse my perfectionism. XD
Any-who I greatly appreciate the help, I checked out that post, and yes it was slightly confusing. And it didn't help, but I thank you, jeffy162, for the link regardless. I want to learn to code some time in the near future and especially anything concerning WoW I enjoy any tidbits and learning experiences I can get my hands on.
I'll probably be taking a trip to a few stores tomorrow and see if I can find a fairly decent monitor to take the TV's place. Not no 32 inch but I'm thinking anything 20-24 will work just fine. Hard lesson learned, TV's still my mortal enemy. They do not make the best computer screens.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Pixel Perfect