06-09-09, 07:07 AM   #1
CobraA1
A Cliff Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Abandoned project policy

What is the WoW Interface policy for abandoned addons?

In particular, I'm looking at Reagent Restocker, which hasn't even been updated to adjust the version number to take it off WoW's list of outdated addons.

I've contacted the author, and I'll give give that a few days, but if nothing happens, I need to decide if I can either modify the existing addon (which is excellently coded ) or if I have to make a clone of it.
06-09-09, 08:03 AM   #2
tinyu
A Molten Giant

if you dont hear back from the author, contact one of the admins here and they'll try to contact the author if they cant get in touch with them then they can give you ownership of the download page here.
06-09-09, 08:13 AM   #3
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If it's only a .toc change for version number, that really isn't a great reason to try to take over an addon. Just edit your own version number and call it good.

If it is broken, or exhibiting bugs that you can fix in the code, then there is certainly reason to take it over.
06-11-09, 03:53 PM   #4
CobraA1
A Cliff Giant

Okay, nothing so far - could I get the name of an admin I can contact about this matter?
06-11-09, 03:58 PM   #5
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

PM Cairenn.
08-22-09, 12:36 AM   #6
Narune
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I certainly hope you are able to restart development of "Reagent Restocker" It's a wonderful mod, and I hate having to use 3 different mods to get the same effect. I for one would love to have it back in action.

08-22-09, 08:23 AM   #7
CobraA1
A Cliff Giant

The restart may or may not happen - I'm deep into another personal project, and college is starting up again. However, the personal project *IS* in Lua, so I'm going to know a lot more about Lua and this is still something I want to do .

Nevertheless, I'll go ahead and ask for permission to continue the project - the very least I can so is to update the version number in WoW.
08-22-09, 08:29 AM   #8
Akryn
A Firelord
Originally Posted by CobraA1 View Post
- the very least I can so is to update the version number in WoW.
But if it's broken, why would you do that?
08-22-09, 09:00 AM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by CobraA1 View Post
the very least I can so is to update the version number in WoW.
I don't think that would be a very good idea. The Interface number in the TOC is there for a very specific reason. It's not there to be changed arbitrarily by whomever wishes to. Obviously RR is broken, which means that the interface number should not be changed unless the code has been updated. RR works perfectly fine for me and my uses, however, so I just check the "Load out of date addons" box. That's what that box is there for, afterall.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-22-09, 07:41 PM   #10
CobraA1
A Cliff Giant

Well, if it's broken, I'd be willing to fix it as well. Yeah, of course I'll make sure there are no showstoppers before updating the TOC.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Abandoned project policy