05-24-13, 11:52 PM   #1
mrtchandler
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Tom Tom emulation not working in 5.3.0 alpha 1

Just another thing for you to add Rythal that I think is broken due to the load after start

Tom Tom emulation does not appear to be registering, e.g. Archy used to be quite happy with Carbonite Tom Tom emulation now says:-

Archy: TomTom doesn't exist... disabling it

Keep up the excellant work and MANY MANY THANKS for you efforts

05-29-13, 09:33 AM   #2
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I vote that this stays broken.

One of the most frustrating things about the old Carbonite was when it tried (and failed) to pretend to be TomTom and Cartographer. Besides, hijacking another AddOn is just evil. If you supplied an actual API, instead, I'm sure people would use it - I would do so for Archy and Ackis Recipe List.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.

05-29-13, 10:53 AM   #3
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

No, I tend to disagree with this view. Having TomTom's abilities, without having to install it, is a plus. For me.

Besides, I still use the release version of Carbonite and the emulation works out OK. Even with Archy and ARL.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

05-29-13, 12:30 PM   #4
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
I can see both sides of the coin... on one side, if like currently the tomtom emulation breaks then other addon authors are the ones who get complained to "Archy isn't seeing tomtom anymore!" as an example, while it's carbonites fault not tomtom. However when it is working, it means people don't need to install yet another addon for the ones that use tomtom integration.

On the flip side, carbonite already has the waypoint API, it's tomtom emulation provided that and currently just sets itself up so tomtom function calls, are processed by carbonite. So if in an addon someone was using TomTom:AddWaypoint, it could be called using Nx:TTAddWaypoint in the same way.

The current issue is that i'm trying to not hijack tomtom if it's installed, and leave everything alone... but also provide the compatibility if it's not installed, but it's hard when addons check for it during the initial loading screen, and carbonite does nothing until your ingame and it can be sure your not in combat to avoid protected mode errors.

05-29-13, 12:47 PM   #5
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
update on this... I've just sent Cladhaire a message about the entire tomtom emulation and if we / carbonite have permission to be doing so. I want to keep Carbonite on the up and up, and Torhal is right, it shouldn't be emulating / hijacking any one elses functions and I'm sure permission to do so was never granted.

If the answer is no, i'll rename the functions it currently uses and it will be upto addon authors if they wish to support carbonite or not in their addon.

05-30-13, 02:41 PM   #6
quixadhal
A Fallenroot Satyr

This makes me wonder, does Carbonite support the Data Broker interface? I see quite a few different addons that either use or provide data along that API. Loremaster is the most recent one that made me think of this.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Tom Tom emulation not working in 5.3.0 alpha 1