03-08-15, 05:46 PM   #1
HopWorks
A Defias Bandit
Recommendations for WTF SavedVariable data for inventory data extraction

I'm sure this has been asked and my searches turned up pretty empty.

I am trying to build a project that takes my character's inventory data and populate a database on one of my local network servers (Debian, MySQL) via PHP and I thought I was all set using DataStore LUA's but I found that datastore_containers.lua had what looked like an invalid data structure with missing elements, so I turned to ArkInventory's SavedVariables (in WTF) LUA. All the data seems to be organized better and complete.

What I am looking for is a description of the key fields so I may better understand them, or a suggestion for another addon that will supply the inventory data in an LUA.

The project is for myself. I want to be able to take inventory and have a programmable complete picture of what I have and what is available for skill progress, etc.

I did this several years ago for a guild's website but never dug deeply into character inventory. It's been a project I wanted to do for years.

I could write my own personal addon that saves the needed data, but I figured the addons I was using already would have that information. I absolutely LOVE ArkInventory and will always use it, so I figured the data was already there. I just do not know what some of the KEY fields mean, like "q" for example. it's either a 0, 1, or a 2.

I really thought DataStore was my answer, but the LUA is a little confusing, and there are missing elements, or so it seemed.

Thank you for your time!
03-08-15, 06:55 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
"q" is probably quality, but you should probably just look at the Lua code for the addon in question. It should be obvious what it's saving in each field.
03-09-15, 07:36 AM   #3
HopWorks
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
"q" is probably quality, but you should probably just look at the Lua code for the addon in question. It should be obvious what it's saving in each field.
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, that occurred to me after I posted this. I did not want to have to reverse-engineer it if there was doc or page about the structure though. It does not matter because my LUA parser stumbles and throws errors with the ArkInventory LUA file anyway. I tried other parsers but I either get the same thing or just a portion of the data. I did not want to reverse-engineer the parser either but I may, or just write my own.

I guess I will dust off my addon authoring skills (or lack of) and write a simple addon that pulls only the data I need. Could be fun. =)
03-10-15, 12:58 AM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by HopWorks View Post
I did not want to have to reverse-engineer it if there was doc or page about the structure though.
Unlikely... even libraries that are specifically intended to be used by other addons generally don't have good documentation, and it's just faster to look at the code. I'd be very surprised if any addon author bothered to write and publish documentation about the structure of their saved variables.
03-10-15, 08:55 PM   #5
Rainrider
A Firelord
Actually don't ever trust documentation on WoW and/or addons for it.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Recommendations for WTF SavedVariable data for inventory data extraction