10-07-09, 08:34 PM   #21
aceman67
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Its not that hard to figure out a good rotation for your character.

My rotation for my Blood DK is Plague Strike, Icy Touch, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Death Strike, Death Coil, PS, IT, HS, HS, DC, DC, Rinse, Reuse, Repeat while casting Dancing rune Weapon, D&D, and Ghoul when you can. This rotation also gives me a 2 second leeway in case of Lag spike or just messing up the rotation.

I don't know why people expect to be hand held through the game...
10-07-09, 08:43 PM   #22
Faraque
A Theradrim Guardian

God forsaken ignorant people.
It doesn't matter if I'm and admin or a site mod. I'm telling people to go away that are not contributing to the discussion of building an addon.
This thread is not about discussing how YOU get your rotations memorized.
This thread is not about discussing what rotations ARE for a specific class.

THIS IS ABOUT BUILDING AN ADDON. IF YOU AREN'T GOING TO HELP WITH BUILDING AN ADDON, SUGGESTING IDEAS FOR AN ADDON OR CRITICIZING A SPECIFIC IDEA SUGGESTED FOR THIS ADDON IN THIS THREAD, PLEASE GO AWAY.

QUIT DERAILING THIS THREAD OR I WILL START REPORTING EVERY POST THAT DETRACTS FROM THIS.
10-07-09, 08:50 PM   #23
Miralen
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Honestly I don't really like the idea of addons like this I realize it isn't automating the game in the sense that it doesn't cast for you it just tells you what to do. Basically I guess when I think about it I don't like the idea of a set rotation which is something we can't help it's just how WoW works which is rather sad imo but I still play it!

Personally I don't see why it's so difficult to get down a rotation and just use other knowledge of the game like how certain things boost other things such as procs or Presences. I personally don't use sticky notes I just research and research and if I find my info on the web great I book mark it and if I forget I just revisit it and if I can't i find a player on my server and ask them about different things and if I get good responses than great I write down what I have been told (usually I ask multiple people and compare notes) so that if I forget its somewhere. Ya not an addon but as stated by at least one person in this thread it isn't that difficult to come up with a rotation blizzard has definitely made sure of that. Now I am not trying to knock your idea I am just saying that there are other options. Heck you might even look at one of the many note addons out there and write something up for each of the classes you know and just make a download for them. Ya not a fancy addon that tells you what to cast but it's a fairly quick solution as opposed getting someone to write such an extensive addon such as this.

- Winston Churchill
10-07-09, 08:56 PM   #24
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Report me. Please... If the admins and site mods want this website to become one where people can act like a complete jackass over nothing, then I for one would just as soon get banned than to be a part of it.

Keep in mind, the only one doing any name calling or any other general nastiness... is... well... you, Faraque...

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
10-07-09, 08:58 PM   #25
Akryn
A Firelord
Irony.

Anyway, in the 30 seconds left that this thread is still open, I thought I'd point out that -- IMO anyway -- there really isn't much else to discuss theoretically. At this point you can either: hope someone decides to create an addon which competes with quite a few existing ones that already exist, making a few (good, I agree) configuration UI changes; or you can make it yourself. Continuing to debate the fine points of its design isn't going to get anyone anywhere if no one picks up the idea; and this thread is probably not encouraging anyone if it keeps going in this direction.
10-07-09, 09:09 PM   #26
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Keep it civil and on-topic please folks.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
10-07-09, 10:39 PM   #27
bknab
An Aku'mai Servant
Ovale has base rotations for all damage dealing specs (or at least the vast majority of them). You can edit the rotations from within the game in the addon's config. I don't know if the script is any easier to work with than SpellPriority's but there is full documentation and as I said, there is already a base script that should work for most people possibly with some minimal tweaking.

Not sure if you know about this or not, but maybe it's more of what you are looking for.

Last edited by bknab : 10-07-09 at 10:43 PM.
10-07-09, 10:46 PM   #28
Faraque
A Theradrim Guardian

Fantastic, thank you for the links. I'll look into this further tonight/tomorrow. Much appreciated!
10-07-09, 11:12 PM   #29
zero-kill
A Firelord

I use Cirk's Notes to keep track of all the information I find on EJ
10-08-09, 01:42 AM   #30
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by zero-kill View Post
I use Cirk's Notes to keep track of all the information I find on EJ
GMTA. I use NotesUNeed for the text I snag from Elitist Jerks lol. Nothing like having your own Post-It-Notes right in game! My office desk would look like this if I had all the junk from that addon on my walls heh.
10-08-09, 03:27 AM   #31
anotherbiffname
A Cliff Giant
Yeah i use a rotation addon for my Enhance Shaman called ShockandAwe, but its a little different since we are a Priority Rotation, but you can set what you want as priority it includes alto of things like even ES_SS meaning Earth Shock if SS is UP so it knows if the mob ur fighting has the debuff and it also knows when my Maelstrom is stacked to 5 so i know to shoot my Lightning Bolt. there is many things you can do with it.
10-08-09, 06:33 AM   #32
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Ideally, my perfect rotation helper would contain something like this:

(see attachment)
  • Clickable/bindable buttons.
    They would contain the key spells used in the rotation, ordered by importancy or by priority. They would have a cooldown like a normal ActionButton on top of it.
  • Duration timer.
    This could be on top of it (like in the image below) or below it.
  • Arrow or some other indicator.
    Something like a pulsing glow on top of the button, to indicate that you should use that ability next. An arrow is used in the below image.

So basically, something like SpellFlash, however SpellFlash is not an AddOn I would consider to be capable of helping you with rotations, but an AddOn to remind you of things you can do when you get an opportunity (I'm thinking of reactive abilities like overpower)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	idea.png
Views:	810
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	3470  
10-08-09, 09:46 AM   #33
Faraque
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by mrruben5 View Post
  • Clickable/bindable buttons.
    They would contain the key spells used in the rotation, ordered by importancy or by priority. They would have a cooldown like a normal ActionButton on top of it.
This is not possible given the limitations Blizzard imposed on addons. The buttons cannot dynamically change while in combat. Simply can't happen.
Additionally, creating more action buttons when it's unknown what action bar mods may already be in place, and potential conflicts with large numbers of mods for said action bar mods, that puts this idea mostly out of place.

• Duration timer.
    This could be on top of it (like in the image below) or below it.
  • Arrow or some other indicator.
    Something like a pulsing glow on top of the button, to indicate that you should use that ability next. An arrow is used in the below image.
I'm not against duration timers, however showing said bars is outside what I'm looking into. I want the focus to be on what's next, not how long is left on something prior.
Without a seperate action bar, with a known location, it would be impossible to have a moving, shifting arrow over/under/beside/ontop of what comes next.

So basically, something like SpellFlash, however SpellFlash is not an AddOn I would consider to be capable of helping you with rotations, but an AddOn to remind you of things you can do when you get an opportunity (I'm thinking of reactive abilities like overpower)
I like the ideas you have here, they are creative.
10-08-09, 12:21 PM   #34
zero-kill
A Firelord

Well since the point of having a rotation helper is to show you how to play the game in rotation, maybe the mod should be an action bar replacement and the idea of an arrow indication method is genius! Instead of having yet ANOTHER addon clogging up the scene if you are going to listen to someone else on rotations, you might as well build it into something else.
10-08-09, 06:35 PM   #35
Faraque
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by zero-kill View Post
Well since the point of having a rotation helper is to show you how to play the game in rotation, maybe the mod should be an action bar replacement and the idea of an arrow indication method is genius! Instead of having yet ANOTHER addon clogging up the scene if you are going to listen to someone else on rotations, you might as well build it into something else.
Ok, sounds good in theory, but here's why I wouldn't want to do that.
Do you currently use an actionbar replacement addon in your UI? How about someone you know? Lets expand even one step further, your guild. Lets estimate you have 45 people in your guild. Half of those (being generous) use more than 3-4 addons. Now we have 22 people. Of those 22, how many use Dominos, Bartender, Macaroon (to name the first three I think of)? Lets say half again. 11 people, split evenly, that 3-4 using bartender, 3-4 using Dominos, 3-4 using Macaroon. Now, if any of those 11 wanted to learn how to use a priority/rotation system on a new toon, they have to remove a familiar addon that does what they expect, and replace it with something that won't look "right" in their own UI. It also won't have the same features as the previous mods they were used to have, because it's not built for that. Now, we're opening a can of worms that will make someone not be interested in the addon because it involves removing what they are already comfortable with and changing to something different and new. While if it was still the vision I initially had, it would simply add a small box that could be moved around instead. Much less resistance to use because it's an addition, not a replacement.

I hope that makes sense.
10-08-09, 08:20 PM   #36
zero-kill
A Firelord

You also have to take into effect another demographic. Of the 212 members currently in my guild, 2 of them use rotation addons. In respect to the example you gave, I rest my case.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Rotation Helper Addons