02-10-10, 06:09 PM   #1
Zenkai
A Defias Bandit
Lightweight Carbonite?

Howdy. Sorry for the ridiculously-long post. I'm on Adderall. I'll just quote myself from the WoW forums.

--
I'm currently on a quest, so to speak, to build the most lightweight, albeit fully-functional UI I possibly can. It's not so much that I have a problem with performance, but a sexier framerate never hurt, and I'm a minimalist at heart. Keep in mind that I'm not so worried about how much RAM the add-on uses as I am how many and how often it handles events, which is the factor that really affects performance. So here's my current setup:
  • TukUI LR - Interface, Bags, Chat Mod, Bar Mod, Nameplates, etc.
  • ag_UnitFrames - Unitframes
  • Ampere - Add-on Management
  • Kong - Frame Modifier

I can really tell the difference between this setup and my previous one. I tested the average framerate with my old setup against the new one (both at identical locations with the camera faced the same way) and I went from 25 FPS (*cringe*) to around 48 FPS. I was astonished...
--

Anyway...I really love Carbonite, both as a world map mod and a quest helper. It just blows QuestHelper out of the water. But...I was wondering if there are any modules I can disable or features or functions or whatever that would convince my CPU to like Carbonite?

I'm really only interested in its world map mod and its quest database and how the two work with each other to create a visual display of useful quest data. Everything else, as much as I love it, can (and needs to) go.

Can this be done?

Hell, I'd even be happy if I could rip the quest database right off and just use TomTom to display crap on the default map. Or is there another add-on that can do this?

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks.
-Zen

Last edited by Zenkai : 02-10-10 at 06:14 PM.

02-11-10, 09:40 AM   #2
TiaMaster
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

The lack of updates and the features added to the standard BLizz map has finally lead me away from Carbonite.
I just install Mapster, which is a light weight, simple addon that makes the Blizz map movable and scalable.

If there was a 'Carb Lite' I think I would be all over it. The simplicity of Mapster with the 'Google Earth' and TomTom like features would be plenty for most people.

02-11-10, 08:49 PM   #3
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Zenkai View Post
I was wondering if there are any modules I can disable or features or functions or whatever that would convince my CPU to like Carbonite?
Most code in Carbonite is event driven, by events that happen at a low frequency, so they have little impact on FPS. The map and HUD arrow are the main items updated every frame.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Lightweight Carbonite?