05-26-09, 09:30 PM   #1
solynar
Premium Member
Premium Member
Question Disable punks

Hi, Im trying to disable punks because It lags the crap out of my PC in Dalaran and WG.
There is a selection box in the punks section for disable in northrend and sanctuarys but those don't seem to work. Also in a previous post they suggested the Hide function. That doesnt turn it off. It still detects punks.

Help please. I hate having to turn off carbonite every time I go to WG.

Yes, its a POS PC but it works.

05-26-09, 10:50 PM   #2
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Unfortunately I don't believe there is a way to completely disable it. You can only hide it.

Because Carbonite is not modular in design certain aspects can not be actually turned off. Just hidden from view.

05-27-09, 02:22 AM   #3
solynar
Premium Member
Premium Member
What about the check box for disabling in northrend/sanctuary? Is that broke for every else or is it just me?

Those are my only real problem areas.

05-27-09, 07:19 AM   #4
Sangdraxx
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by solynar View Post
What about the check box for disabling in northrend/sanctuary? Is that broke for every else or is it just me?

Those are my only real problem areas.
It only disables the mark on the map, it still detects them and shows them in the Punk list/chat window if you have them open.

05-27-09, 10:45 AM   #5
quixadhal
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Sangdraxx View Post
It only disables the mark on the map, it still detects them and shows them in the Punk list/chat window if you have them open.
If I understand how Carbonite works correctly, it always communicates with, and thus knows where all other carbonite users are. As such, the "punks" feature is simply a list of opposite faction people who are nearby.

You'd need to have some way to totally disable the way carbonite talks to others, and that would also break the group quest objective tracking, and probably a small cartload of other features which are quite handy.

In short though, it's not the punks feature itself that's lagging you. It may not even ben Carbonite.... even with no addons at all, Dalaran is lagged to death most of the time. Thank Blizzard for making the main hub city so tiny.

05-31-09, 02:59 PM   #6
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I have done testing several times before, with and without Carbonite in Wintergrasp and it is a laggy mess either way. Same lag. Same low FPS.

On my high pop server there are just way too many people in WG in a close area. Needs to be an instance. I'm sure WG works fine with a limited amount of players on low pop servers, but I don't think Blizzard tested it with the insane 200-300 people around the fort that seems to be in all the games on Tichondrius. Sending updates to and from and trying to draw 200 people around you is just bad.

All the punks detection code is typically doing is getting some info from combat log events and adding names to a list. Punk communication between players in a zone is done at a low rate of transmission. A small message broadcast like once every few seconds at the maximum.

Last edited by carboniteaddon : 05-31-09 at 03:06 PM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Disable punks