04-10-13, 06:35 PM   #1
MadCow
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Quest indicator on mob nameplate

is it possible to attach a quest mark to the name plate of mobs involved in a tracked quest? like this from EQ2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	qthingy.jpg
Views:	1777
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	7668  
04-10-13, 06:56 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Not to the names themselves, but to the nameplate, sure.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-10-13, 07:59 PM   #3
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It's possible, but not exactly simple.

There are only two ways I can think of to tie a nameplate to a quest.

The first one requires that you see the GUID of one of the mobs either through hovering over one or through the combat log, then using that to construct a tooltip and checking if it contains quest text and building a table using the mob name for the key.

That way if you see a nameplate with a name that's in the table then you can be reasonably confident it's a quest objective.

The other way would be to just take the name out of the nameplate and search through your quest log's quest objectives for a match, which might be more reliable but probably more intensive.

There's an interface option in the game under Names, in a dropdown menu under NPC Names you can select Quest NPCs to make their names always appear, which makes them more noticeable.

edit: Actually the second option wouldn't work, you'd pretty much have to do tooltip scanning for this. The mob's name is not necessarily mentioned in the quest text at all.

Last edited by semlar : 04-10-13 at 08:12 PM.
04-10-13, 09:05 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by semlar View Post
The mob's name is not necessarily mentioned in the quest text at all.
Oooh, I didn't even think about quests like that...

Quest: Kill 20 random Naga in the ruins.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-11-13, 03:14 AM   #5
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

This isn't exactly what you want, but there is a built-in way to distinguish between normal NPC's and quest NPC's. In the Interface options, under Names, there is an option called NPC Names. In the dropdown, select Quest NPCs. If you see a name displayed above their head, you'll now know that they are related in some way to one of your quests.
04-11-13, 05:29 AM   #6
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
Like Talyrius says, you can use Blizzard's default UI to display names of mobs associated with quests. This works well from a distance, but if your nameplates change at closer range you lose that aspect. This is how I play anyway. You might also investigate the addons Wholly and Grail. Grail is a quest database, and Wholly provides UI for that database. Part of the changes Wholly makes is to modify the tooltips for NPCs to list whether they need to be killed to start a quest, or drop an item that starts a quest. This will not tell you that you need to kill X of these for a quest, but it is a little closer to what I think you want.
04-11-13, 06:45 AM   #7
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Alright, I actually made this in-game but I need to work on how it looks and clean it up a little.

Uploaded here as QuestPlates if you're interested.

Last edited by semlar : 04-11-13 at 11:36 AM.
04-11-13, 03:16 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Nice, semlar.

04-12-13, 02:32 PM   #9
MadCow
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by semlar View Post
Alright, I actually made this in-game but I need to work on how it looks and clean it up a little.

Uploaded here as QuestPlates if you're interested.
you guys are great! Im downloading this now!
04-12-13, 06:23 PM   #10
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
That's a pretty clever haxx with GameTooltip right there, nice one

I should stop being lazy and make myself a nice simple debuff tracking addon like this...

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Quest indicator on mob nameplate